Patrick Friesacher
8%

Total votes: 12

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on the United States Grand Prix

Post by Tim » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:18 am

Well only 6 cars raced at the United States Grand Prix after Michelin advised their teams that they were not able to guarantee the total safety of the drivers. (Click here for the statement published by the Michelin teams and here for the statement from Michelin). Also available are the correspondence between Michelin and the FIA prior to the race - Click here for initial correspondence and here for further correspondence

A solution should have been found that would have allowed a race to go ahead but given the politics in Formula 1 these days, all the parties concerned couldn't come up with a sensible solution and we ended up with just 6 cars on the grid.

Michael Schumacher went on to win the race ahead of his team-mate. There appeared to be a race between the 2 until the second round of pit stops but then they dropped their pace. Monteiro did well finishing 3rd ahead of his team-mate Karthikeyan while Albers and Friesacher made the top 6.

You thoughts on this race, what should have happened, whose fault ?

We value your input and understand the frustration but please try to keep it clean

For the sake of completeness, we will have a poll for those who may want to vote for the driver of the day!
Last edited by Tim on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:25 am

bad michelin, but even worse FIA... why not just permit a tyre change for all the teams, just for this race??????? :furious:
FIA stinks!
anyway I doubt ferrari would accepted it... :furious:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:34 am

I am disgusted, just bloody disgusted. Michelin stuffed up, and the FIA have attained a new level of incompetence,a level I previously thought impossible. Shame, shame, shame. There was no drive of the day for me. It did showcase Narain's lack of talent, unfortunately for Kappy.
Bernie will have some very upset broadcasters wanting their money back, Tony George will have an army of lawyers at work right now, the season has just been stuffed, completely devalued.
Shame, Shame, Shame. :twisted:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:05 am

Is there not a rule that stipulates that a minimum number of competitors must face the starters flag or the race is abandoned on the orders of The Clerk of The Course?

Don Lindsay
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Don Lindsay » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:08 am

Well this is a new low even for F1. All the events of recent times have come to a head. The fallout from this weekend will be causing people to duck for cover. They will all be apolagising to us fans and laying the blame off where ever they can. I for one will be answering them where it hurts them. I will not be going to the Australian GP next year. I have been to the last 7 and will not spend the money to go 2006.
Die Hard Don

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:15 am

Another thought! Pretty special that I am still having them, I have been up since 3:30am!
The FIA slaps a two race ban on the michelin runners for not racing, Schuey wins another title, Moseley has fulfilled his major task in life!!
Ah the Conspiracy fellas will love me for that one>
PS.,
F1 boats are competing in Italy 10/7
Singapore 4/9
etc :twisted:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:27 am

Don Lindsay wrote:Well this is a new low even for F1. All the events of recent times have come to a head. The fallout from this weekend will be causing people to duck for cover. They will all be apolagising to us fans and laying the blame off where ever they can. I for one will be answering them where it hurts them. I will not be going to the Australian GP next year. I have been to the last 7 and will not spend the money to go 2006.
I think you will be one of many feeling exactly that way, this morning.
Go to Bathurst instead! :lol:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:07 am

Very dissapointed. I still don't believe what happened actually!

Michelin stuffed up but if what I've heard and read is to be believed the Michelin teams offered to race with a chicane for no points. That would have been a good way out of this crisis.

Oh well! Ferrari get 18 points and Jordan and Minardi are in front of BAR :shock:

Poor Barrichello, he should have won that 2 car race

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:09 am

Graham Ross wrote:Very dissapointed. I still don't believe what happened actually!

Michelin stuffed up but if what I've heard and read is to be believed the Michelin teams offered to race with a chicane for no points. That would have been a good way out of this crisis.

Oh well! Ferrari get 18 points and Jordan and Minardi are in front of BAR :shock:

Poor Barrichello, he should have won that 2 car race

Believe. :shock:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:19 am

julian mayo wrote:
Graham Ross wrote:
I guess I should :wink:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:30 am

Graham Ross wrote:
julian mayo wrote:
Graham Ross wrote:
Graham, I am just about out of words. I cannot reconcile the debacle I have witnessed with the fact that people, and we all know who they are, are payed vast sums of money to administer our sport.

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:41 am

julian mayo wrote:
Graham Ross wrote:
julian mayo wrote: Believe. :shock:
Graham, I am just about out of words. I cannot reconcile the debacle I have witnessed with the fact that people, and we all know who they are, are payed vast sums of money to administer our sport.
I think the positive that ought to come out of this is that GPWC gets their act together and set up a new series. Regardless of the reason, we saw today that Ferrari alone in Formula 1 doesn't mean much.

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:45 am

Well everyone, I told you Ferrari would do better in Indy!!

Hey everyone relax, it could be worse. I have absolutely no idea how. But it could be worse.

At least the six cars completed the race. All they needed was a mechanical failure in 3 cars and there would have only been the guys on the podium that finished.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:58 am

rah wrote:Well everyone, I told you Ferrari would do better in Indy!!

Hey everyone relax, it could be worse. I have absolutely no idea how. But it could be worse.

At least the six cars completed the race. All they needed was a mechanical failure in 3 cars and there would have only been the guys on the podium that finished.

If there was any justice in the world at all, Schuey would have collected Barrichello at the pit exit, put them both out, both jordans and both minardis having expired before that :cry:

Severian
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Severian » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:04 am

What a debacle! A sad day for F1.

Part of me likes that it happened to Tony George (who deserves it), but the majority of my feelings on the matter are that of disgust and sympathy for the majority of the fans in attendance. That, of course, excludes those f#cking boneheads throwing debris on to the track! That's just pitiful and makes me embarrassed to be an American.

I knew the one set of tire rules was a bad idea, but I never thought it would come into such glaring clarity like this. Michelin wasn't prepared which is inexcusable, but they did try to 'play ball'. When something of this magnitude happens everyone in power should take a step back and think for second. The most important thing for F1 is, and always should be, the fans. The show must go on. Indianapolis is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country, so you have people traveling 1500+ miles to see the show. It's just inexcusable to have a six car race. Even if it wasn't a points race and they added a chicane for safety it still would have been hard fought. Any driver at the F1 level is going to run as hard as he can - always! It would have been a much better show and would not have given Ferrari 18 'gimme' points, which just skews the whole season.

Ugh, just disgusted. I'm going to have to mull this one over for a while....