2016: My thoughts

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

cmlean

2016: My thoughts

Post by cmlean » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:45 am

With the season start just days away, my thoughts again turn to just what will happen over the next 21 rounds of the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship.

Mercedes will again be at the top of the heap. The advantage that they have held over the rest of the field will remain. The biggest battle will again be between the drivers with Lewis just shading Nico in the WDC.

Ferrari, after a difficult first half of 2015, made substantial gains and this momentum is expected to continue. The internal battle of Sebastian v Kimi will again go to Vettel.

Red Bull Racing will again be almost there. There may again be some bleating from the hierarchy about packing my drink money and going home. The internal side, Daniel just shading Daniil.

Toro Rosso will be nipping at big brother's heals. I was dubious at the appointment of young Max at the start of 2015 however, after a couple of moments of what is called youthful exuberance, he showed what a class act he is. The mainly unsung Carlos Jr just seems to go about his business quietly and grind out results. With that, speed of Max to just overshadow Carlos Jr.

Williams really haven't shown their hand so far. I don't know if they are playing their cards close to their chest or just don't have the speed of 2014. Valteri to head home Filipe.

Force India. This could be the dark horse for 2016. Their pre-season has had their cars at or near the pointy end of the time sheets. Are we trying to impress or, by using Alfonso Celis in the pre-season testing, creating a bit more competition for the seat within the team. Nico to just overshadow Sergio.

Renault will struggle for pace. The inclusion of the engine suppliers own team may spark some development in the power plant but they will run towards the bottom half of the field for the most part of the season. Kevin Magnussen will show Jolyon Palmer the way home.

Sauber. This team just can't get their act together. Their 2016 car is still to hit the track and reliability in the updated 2015 test bed during the test days will hamper them through this season.

McLaren. My feeling is that they will again be looking for speed. The expected improvements in performance is still 'just around the corner'. I can imagine how frustrated Fernando and even Jenson must be feeling.

Haas. The joys of a new team. With Romain and Esteban driving the wheels of these cars, they will still be at the back end of the field. The saddest part is the opportunity for some serious interest in F1 from the USA will be lost if these cars do not regularly contend for outright positions.

Manor. Looking through the test results, this team should be the greatest improver in 2016. The biggest drawback is the lack of experience in Formula 1 of their current crop of drivers. What they need is a recently retired former top driver to test for them. Someone who has been there and done that. Mercedes power is a good start. Let's see where it takes them.

With all that said, bring on March 18. Then all will be revealed.