Christian Klien
No votes

Total votes: 18

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on the Canadian Grand Prix

Post by Tim » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:07 am

An incident packed Canadian Grand Prix (as always!) saw Kimi Raikkonen win the race ahead of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello.
Felipe Massa, Mark Webber, Ralf Schumacher, David Coulthard and Christian Klien make the top 8.

An unexpected result with both Renaults retiring from the race, Montoya black flagged, Button hitting the wall and Trulli retiring with brake problems!

The Renaults and McLaren looked to have the pace while the rest were far behind. Fisichella's bad luck continues while Alonso makes a mistake touching the wall and ending his chances of winning. Did he lose his cool ?

Montoya looked as if he had the race under control until Button hit the wall resulting in a safety car situation. McLaren called Raikkonen in first and Montoya had to do a lap behind the safety car before his. He then misses the red light exiting the pit lane and gets black flagged.
McLaren have a history of bungled pit stops under safety car conditions. Was getting Raikkonen in first the right call ?

Button looked as the 'Best of the rest' until he hit the wall. Sato had a gearbox problem earlier but the team fixed his car and put him back out so that he doesn't go out first at Indianapolis. Good thinking!

The Ferrari's finished 2nd and 3rd. A good result for them. They didn't have the pace of the Renaults and McLarens though!
Barrichello had a good race starting from the pit lane and making it into 3rd

A very good result for Felipe Massa finishing 4th ahead of a Williams and a Toyota while his team-mate Jacques Villeneuve managed 9th after having to stop early for a front wing.

Mark Webber didn't have a clean race, still managed 5th. Team-mate Heidfeld was in front before retiring with an engine problem. The Williams struggled here.

Ralf Schumacher managed 6th while his team-mate Trulli retired with brake problems towards the end of the race while running 3rd. That was tough!

And the 2 Red Bulls score points yet again. This wasn't expected but the high rate of attrition helped. Klien scores on his return!

Your thoughts ?
Last edited by Tim on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:27 am

Rubens driver of the day.

Poor start by Button.

Poor start by Michael Schumacher.

Usual great starts by both Renaults, and both McLarens as well. If you paid attention, then Trulli flew past a couple of cars on the right side grass. Great start by him.

Driving mistake by Alonso cost him the race.

Driving mistake by Button cost him a finish.

Juan Pablo ws called in first!! by the team, could not understand waht they said and stayed out one more lap. Kimi dove in as the only natural thing to do when there is a safety car period, and you still have one more stop to do. Juan Pablo still out, this meant that Kimi could get service rigth away, instead of queing up behind Juan Pablo.

Everyone that needed to ge in, got in. The one exception was Juan Pablo, who when he came in passed a red light. This is a clear breakage of a simple rule, and he was disqualified for it.

Great win for Kime, and eventhough he was clearly not the secodn best driver today, a very good result for Michael Schumacher as well.

Only 11 classified drivers, and once more two Red Bull cars in the points.

8)
K-D

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:35 am

The team took the blame for not calling Montoya in. No indication of a misunderstanding!

Ron Dennis "Throughout the race we had to take some difficult decisions which only increased the pressure on the pitwall. Against this backdrop the mistake was made of not calling Juan Pablo in immediately after the deployment of the Safety Car which, of course, was only compounded by him driving through the red light. This shadow should not detract from a fantastic race by both Kimi and Juan Pablo"

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:34 am

Rhubins, a great drive, the rest were pretty ordinary. Lazy driving by Button.
McLaren butchered Montoya, before he finally shot himself in the foot, by not seeing red. He should have copped a drive thru for his desperate out of the pits anyway. Williams :twisted: Great drive by Nick, not. Oh my engine is running hot. I will not overtake the car in front, or drop back into clean cool air.. I will sit where I am until it goes boom, then I can go home early. Webber said the tyres were hard to bring up to temp., after pit stops. You get paid squillions to deal with that without running wide and dropping positions boyyo. The rest were ordinary, and worse than ordinary,...JV.
Given Barrichellos Qual., problems and his race performance, he made Schuey look very ordinary. What could he have done with a decent grid position?
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:59 am

is the pressure starting to get to them all???

Stupid fundamental mistakes were made by most drivers..JV will surely struggle to see the year out...NH had a massive brain fade, MW pushed too hard on cold tyres...JPM continues to be quick and then ruin it with MASSIVE errors.....Trulli was unlucky....BAR couldn't finish a cup of tea....Renault had no luck but are starting to have some problems

Mind you this is the stuff that makes you want to watch!!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.......

I'm no ordinary idiot. I'm an F1 idiot!!!
146th in 8'n'Pole 2007
293rd in 8'n'Pole 2006

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:07 pm

bundy wrote:is the pressure starting to get to them all???

Stupid fundamental mistakes were made by most drivers..JV will surely struggle to see the year out...NH had a massive brain fade, MW pushed too hard on cold tyres...JPM continues to be quick and then ruin it with MASSIVE errors.....Trulli was unlucky....BAR couldn't finish a cup of tea....Renault had no luck but are starting to have some problems

Mind you this is the stuff that makes you want to watch!!

Mr. Sauber seems to be regretting a certain contract, as does that contracted driver. Tune in for further developments. (could D.P. be in F1 sooner than we think) :ROTFLMAO: :burnout:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:37 pm

after further reflection (and a kip) it was a bit like a FF race in the wet in Adelaide, with cars lurching into concrete walls and running wide all over the place, if they were not bouncing off each other. The Driving Standards Observer should be having stern words :twisted:

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:02 am

Come on boys, it was another exciting GP - this season is very entertaining..

Kimi deserves that win no question, he drove really well fighting a steering problem for most of the race. Monty would have deserved that win also, but there was that mistake, apparently by the team?.....hey friends, had this happened at FERRARI you would call that teamorder, wouldnt you? No conspiracy theories here? sgd? Graham?

Michael did everything right except for that miserable start(why that??), he was a bit lucky today, not only for the failure of the RENAULTS, but also for MCLARENS favour....but he would definitely have passed Jenson and finished 3rd anyway. Rubens did a fine job to come from last to 3rd, even though he was even luckier than Michael as Mark was so playfull to get him past Felipe and himself. Plus the unlucky Jarno...To say Rubens overshadowed Michael however is a bit strong...Michael was faster throughout the race incl. 3rd fastest lap and taking away 30sec. from Rubens in the last 20 laps..

Felipe is my driver of the day, as he did fantastically to finish 4th in a SAUBER.

TOYOTA struggle but Jarno drove really well before that brake exploded.

BAR are back, Jenson will be in the points in most races and sometimes fight for the podium. No way however he would have held Michael in Montreal which made him push too hard, just like Fernando who was feeling Montys speed....Taku looked wild today while Fisico just keeps a load of bad luck....

What was Nicks fault, maybe I missed something? Mark was pretty uncontrolled proving to become a clear No.2 this year...

That can be expected for next week:

MCLAREN are on top, but even if I was critical of Monty so far this season, this race was his comeback. A bad performance of the team for him, to say it politely. I would wish him to win Indy, if Michael doesnt win...
Anyway Id say Kimi has a good 35% chance to win the Championship.

FERRARI and Bridgestone are improving, albeit on a slower rate than they wish for. However it should still be a 15% chance for the WDC for Michael.

RENAULT have the downforce for Montreal, Budapest and generally a good package. But they have to fight hard in the Qualifying in Indy which wont suit them that much and might lose a few more points here. 50% still for Fernando WDC......

WILLIAMS could be 4th best and more so through Nick than Mark.

TOYOTA have a good record around Indy and maybe they will end up even higher. A pity that Jarno couldnt keep his 3rd place..

BAR come close behind and Indy is pretty different from Montreal so I have a bit conservative expectation on them..

SAUBER and REDBULL always capable of decent placings if others fail...Jaques was actually quite competitive throughout the weekend in Montreal.

JORDAN and MINARDI, well...........PS.Narain didnt impress really in Montreal, whats wrong with him?
YOURS IN SPORT

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:24 am

Good race by Rubinio, and as for shumacher.......not so good (in my opinion).........every porition he gained was not driver skill, just luck, every car in front of him (except kimi) retired...........

Swak* for JPM, and also for Trulli, (although he was quite lucky where it happened)

also pretty good by the 2 RBR`s

But thats just me...

Swak*.....means: unfortunate/unlucky/not cool/messed up (in south african terms that is)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:51 am

F1g, I think you may have missed something re Nick!!!! The pit boss was on the radio a number of times telling him to get clear air or cook the motor. That gave him a choice. Pass the guy in front or drop back. He chose to sit in the super hot exhaust air and cooked the motor. Pit Boss right, Nick wrong. Mario would not be pleased with the BMW driver (Not Williams Driver!)

rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by rah » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:02 am

F1greyhound wrote:Monty would have deserved that win also, but there was that mistake, apparently by the team?
You are correct that the team made the mistake with the pitting order, but Monty is the one who got himself disqualified from the race.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 am

rah wrote:
F1greyhound wrote:Monty would have deserved that win also, but there was that mistake, apparently by the team?
You are correct that the team made the mistake with the pitting order, but Monty is the one who got himself disqualified from the race.[/quote

and if he had not been should have copped a drive thru for his crazy exit and jamming it in front of DC behind the safety car!, I will bet DC had a word in the car park :lol:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:53 am

Ok McLaren obviously paid more attention to Kimi when the safety car was called in and stuffed up Montoya's chances. May be it was a delibarate move to get Kimi in front but I doubt it. I think it was a stuff up as we are used to see from McLaren. They don't seem to have quick thinkers like some other teams.
And I'd put part of the blame for not coming in on Montoya too. He should've pitted as soon as he saw the SC sign. Also I'd put part of the blame on the team for not alerting Montoya that he can't exit the pit lane. While we may not be aware of such rules, someone at the team should have known.
Anyway that ruins Montoya's chances for next race too so this season is a writeoff for him and I wonder if he'll recover next season.

The race, well let me say that Alonso or Montoya were the only two worthy of the win. Both made mistakes. I was expecting Alonso to stuff up sooner or later. He is only 23, he can't be perfect but this should help him and I can't see anyone else challenging him. Raikkonen had no chance but he won so this time he was very lucky. Michael, well they were off the pace and was even luckier than Kimi to finish second. Barrichello was lucky too but he fought for it.

Unexpected results but that doesn't happen every race. That could be repeated in the US too but it is clear that McLaren and Renault are way ahead of BAR, Ferrari, Williams and Toyota.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:22 am

Graham Ross wrote:Ok McLaren obviously paid more attention to Kimi when the safety car was called in and stuffed up Montoya's chances. May be it was a delibarate move to get Kimi in front but I doubt it. I think it was a stuff up as we are used to see from McLaren. They don't seem to have quick thinkers like some other teams.
And I'd put part of the blame for not coming in on Montoya too. He should've pitted as soon as he saw the SC sign. Also I'd put part of the blame on the team for not alerting Montoya that he can't exit the pit lane. While we may not be aware of such rules, someone at the team should have known.
Anyway that ruins Montoya's chances for next race too so this season is a writeoff for him and I wonder if he'll recover next season.

The race, well let me say that Alonso or Montoya were the only two worthy of the win. Both made mistakes. I was expecting Alonso to stuff up sooner or later. He is only 23, he can't be perfect but this should help him and I can't see anyone else challenging him. Raikkonen had no chance but he won so this time he was very lucky. Michael, well they were off the pace and was even luckier than Kimi to finish second. Barrichello was lucky too but he fought for it.

Unexpected results but that doesn't happen every race. That could be repeated in the US too but it is clear that McLaren and Renault are way ahead of BAR, Ferrari, Williams and Toyota.
I would not be surprised if Montoya went back to CART next year :cry:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:30 pm

I guess Rubens was the driver of the day if I had to vote for one :shock:

I am still trying to get over Alonso's brush with the wall. He should have won this one.
But I keep trying to tell myself that it he is soooo young he has to make mistakes otherswise he'll be a machine :shock: :shock:
I think he was a bit unsettled having to fight Fisichella and was pushing too hard trying to gain time on Montoya

He'll struggle in Indy because of his qualifying slot but he'll still get a podium. The Renault is faster than the McLaren. That was proved in qualifying.
Talk about qualifying, it has become so meaningless. Michael was second but he had no fuel and Button and BAR were over the moon yet they knew they were light. It is all marketing. Alonso The Cute had pole IMHO

I agree with Graham, the only two worthy of the win were Alonso and Montoya. The rest were just lucky

And all this JV bashing ??

Hey guys JV had to change the front wing after Sato cut in front of him if you didn't notice
And Massa finished ahead of Webber if you didn't notice

So are you trying to divert attention from the dreadful performance of Webber ? And don't blame the car, the BMW engine is still in the Williams and not the Sauber :wink:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!