Kimi Räikkönen back to F1 in 2012 with Lotus Renault

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Kimi Räikkönen back to F1 in 2012 with Lotus Renault

Post by Ed » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:26 pm

The Lotus Renault team confirmed that Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 with them in 2012. A press statement by the team read:

Kimi Räikkönen back in F1 with LRGP in 2012

Lotus Renault GP is pleased to announce that Kimi Räikkönen will race for the team next season. The 2007 World Champion, who left Formula 1 at the end of 2009 to pursue a career in rallying, has decided to make a comeback at the pinnacle of single-seater racing. He has now signed a two-year agreement with Lotus Renault GP.

Kimi’s F1 roll of honour includes 18 wins, 62 podiums and 16 pole positions. This experience and success is sure to help the team make a step forward next year. The 32-year-old Finn’s commitment indeed makes for a vote of confidence in Lotus Renault GP, demonstrating the team’s determination and new philosophy for the seasons ahead.

Kimi Räikkönen: “I’m delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I’m grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can’t deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming. It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team’s ambition. Now I’m looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid.”

Gérard Lopez, Genii Capital, Chairman: “All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we’ve been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level. Kimi’s decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I’d like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1.”
Last edited by Ed on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 pm

I thought Petrov was in for 2012?

They can race together, obviously, but if Kubica can come back mid-season presumably Petrov will be getting the heave-ho.

Hopefully Raikkonen will be more motivated than his last few years.

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 pm

It will be interesting to see Kimi behind the wheel again.... though I tend to agree with Thaddeus re his motivation and commitment.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:10 am

And Kimi makes 6!
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:10 am

:D :D Well, Chaps, some of you will not be surprised that I am over the moon about Kimi coming back!!

I am such a fan of Kimi that I don't mind that he'll be driving for Lotus/Renault; I just can't wait to see him and Fernando locking wheels!! 8) 8)

It will be great to see Ferrari having to eat his dust. Their letting him go, while hanging on to Felipe, was such a crime they deserve to spend another season in the wilderness!! Just think how differently Ferrari would have fared in the past season had they had Kimi and Fernando driving for them!!

Meanwhile, Ross Braun is making noises about a more competitive Merc next year. Hope he's right. It would be fun to have three or four drivers/teams competing for the top spot deep into the season.

cheers, Jim Watt :cheers: :cheers:
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!