Williams not denying Sam Michael axe rumour-Michael leaving

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

cmlean

Williams not denying Sam Michael axe rumour-Michael leaving

Post by cmlean » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:20 pm

If Williams could get a better power plant than the current Cosworth unit, the chassis would take care of the rest. Compare qualifying of Williams to the other Cosworth powered teams, they are far ahead of the rest.

Quirked889
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Quirked889 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:42 am

very true, when do you think this will happen by though?

cmlean

Post by cmlean » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Quirked889 wrote:very true, when do you think this will happen by though?
Rid of the Cosworth or rid of Sam Michael? I think that Williams don't have the resources to get rid of the Cosworth power plant to get a Renault or Mercedes unit. Sam Michael could end up a bargaining chip in a bigger story.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 pm

The Williams team confirmed today that Technical Director Sam Michael and Chief Aerodynamicist Jon Tomlinson will leave the team at the end of this year. Joining the team will be Mike Coughlan who was banned from F1 for two years following the McLaren/Ferrari 'spygate' in 2007.

The Williams team issued the following statements:

Williams F1 Announces Technical Department Restructure

Williams F1 today announced that Technical Director, Sam Michael, and Chief Aerodynamicist, Jon Tomlinson, have resigned from their positions within the company, to take effect at the end of 2011.

Frank Williams, Team Principal, said: “Both Sam and Jon are talented and driven people who have worked hard for Williams over 10 and five years respectively. Nonetheless, they have recognised that the team’s performance is not at the level that it needs to be and have resigned in order to give the team the opportunity to regroup and undertake the changes necessary to get back to the front of the grid. Both will continue to work in their present positions through until the end of the year to ensure that the team maintains focus and momentum during the 2011 season. We are very grateful to Sam and to Jon for their professional approach.”

Mike Coughlan Appointed as Chief Engineer

Williams F1 today announced that Mike Coughlan will join the team in June 2011 in the role of Chief Engineer.

Mike Coughlan undertook his training and education at Rolls Royce and Brunel University. He began his Formula One career at Lotus where he worked his way up to Chief Designer. He subsequently worked for Tyrell, Ferrari and Arrows before joining McLaren in 2002 as Chief Designer. Mike left Formula One in 2007 as a result of his role in the ‘Spygate’ affair. Since then, Mike has applied his skills principally as Chief Engineer in the development of the Ocelot Light Protected Patrol Vehicle. He joins Williams F1 from NASCAR competitor, Michael Waltrip Racing.

Frank Williams, Team Principal, said: “Mike Coughlan is a fine engineer with extensive experience across Formula One and both civil and defence engineering. He left Formula One in 2007 because of conduct which he acknowledges was wrong and which he profoundly regrets. His two year ban from the sport expired some time ago and Mike is now determined to prove himself again. Williams is delighted to be able to give him the opportunity to do this and we are very pleased to have one of the most talented and competitive engineers in the sport helping us to return to the front of the grid. This is the first step in re-building and strengthening our technical group. We will announce the next steps as they develop.”

Mike Coughlan commented, “I am grateful to Williams for giving me this opportunity. My experience in 2007 was life-changing. Since then, I have endeavoured to put my skills to good use in the design of the Ocelot vehicle whose purpose is to transport soldiers in safety. I have also enjoyed my time with Michael Waltrip Racing: they are an excellent race team and I wish them well for the future. Now, I am looking forward to returning to a sport which I love and to joining a team that I have admired for many years. I will dedicate myself to the team and to ensuring that we return to competitiveness while respecting the ethical standards with which Williams has always been synonymous.”