Nico Hulkenberg
1%

Total votes: 192

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2010 Korean Grand Prix Thread

Post by mlittle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:46 pm

After several years of fruitless attempts by various motorsports series(remember ChampCar's three years trying to start a Korean GP at Ansan?), Formula 1 finally succeeded in creating a GP event............ :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: 8)

TrackMap, Korean International Circuit

Korean International Circuit---Official Site
Formula 1---Korean Grand Prix section

So............any thoughts on what we might see as the stars of the Grand Prix circuit make their inaugural visit to the Korean Peninsula?
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm intrigued as to whether McLaren might stage something of a comeback. Looking at the diagram at the official F1 site, sector 1's pretty big and a collection of straight lines. The two overtaking points highlighted by Webber on the virtual lap on the BBC website are both in that sector, slow corners following long straights. That bodes well for McLaren.

However, the rest of the circuit is much twistier.

It's make or break for McLaren. I've read Button speaking confidently about Korea as a good place for the team, and Horner seems to agree [and thinks similarly of Yas Marina]. McLaren need seriously big points, or they'll almost certainly be out.

Edited extra bit: brilliantly, after writing this Chandhok [who has actually tested the circuit out] reckons it'll be good for Red Bull (although he did say the gap between them and McLaren would shrink).

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Hamilton Paces First Practice Session in Korea

Even though Hamilton's title hopes might be slim with just three rounds remaining, the Brit topped the opening practice at the Korean GP circuit w/a time of 1:40.887. Rounding out the top-5 were Renault's Robert Kubica, followed by Nico Rosberg[Mercedes GP], Sebastien Vettel[Red Bull] and Hamilton's McLaren teammate Jenson Button. Championship contender Fernando Alonso was only 15th-fastest in the session.

screen shot of Bruno Senna's off-course excursion during FP1(image courtesy of Speed Channel)

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Webber Fastest in FP2..........

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:54 am

After placing seventh in the first practice session on Friday, Red Bull's Mark Webber put his stamp on the second session w/a time of 1:37.942, setting the fastest time of the session. Rounding out the top-5 were Fernando Alonso[Ferrari], Lewis Hamilton[McLaren], Robert Kubica[Renault] and Jenson Button[McLaren].

Korean GP Friday Practice 2 Times

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:59 am

Korean GP News Items, Pt.2

FIA Korean GP Friday Press Conference
FIA to Modify Turn 16 at Korea
Drivers Question Korea Safety
Hamilton: "The Battle's Not Over"

And on the lighter side of F1....................
F1 Teams Forced To Stay in Brothels
....because of a lack of hotel space around the Yeongam circuit, some teams had to find accomdations wherever they could, including a few brothels...........quoting from the story,
"One of the Sauber mechanics was asked if he also wanted a girl for the week," one F1 insider told The Sun.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 am

That was MEGA A superb drive from Alonso The Cute not only won him the race but now leads the Championship. :1st: Of course he was fortunate that Vettel blew an engine but that's racing.

He demonstrated that he his the best out there especially a few laps from the end where he was lapping more than 5 seconds quicker than anyone else. I was screaming at the TV telling him slow down :shock: :shock:

Unfortunate to see Webber spin as had he finished he would have increased the gap to Vettel

Asking for the race to be stopped early due to low visibility .... good try Vettel but what does that make of you when the rest completed the full distance :D :D

2 more races to go! If Alonso wins in Brazil, it will make it much easier for him

Can't wait
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Thaddeus
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by Thaddeus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Voted for Schumacher. If I'd had the option, it'd've been a toss up between the unlucky but talented pair of Vettel and Rosberg.

Really slow, tedious start, but once the race got going it was pretty fantastic. Damned shame Vettel didn't win.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 pm

For an inaugural grand prix, this was a damned interesting one...............(apologies for the language....... :oops: .....). I voted for Alonso; he stayed at the front for most of the race and did what he needed to do to stay up front the whole race.

Shame the start was so screwy, but the race turned out to be pretty interesting...........it was nice watching Sebby V's engine do a combo BBQ-grenade act down the long straight towards Turn 3, though............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I missed the race due to a family birthday dinner. I managed to see the start of the race before we had to go but that was just watching them behind the safety car. Must have been an interesting race.
Hoping Mark can regain the lead in the driver's championship!!!!
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!