Massa's Replacement - Badoer!! - Schumacher pulls out!

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

How will Michael Schumacher do in Valencia

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:39 pm

Win the race
14%
Finish on the podium - 2nd or 3rd
12%
Finish in the points - 4th to 8th
43%
Finish outside the points
12%
Retire from the race - Accident/Spin
12%
Retire from race - Fatigue
5%
Retire from the race - Car failure
2%

Total votes: 42

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:11 am

Obviously this is great news for F1 from any point of view.

For whatever reason, it was one of my first thoughts after learning that FELIPE wont race in Valencia and probably the rest of the season, that only a replacement by MICHAEL would really make much sense.

If nothing else, FERRARI and F1 receive tremendous positive publicity in a tough economic situation. I bet BERNIE will have placed an offer to FERRARI and MICHAEL...

By the way, "loved by some, hated by many" couldnt be further from the truth. I would say hated by very few, probably less respected personalities.

From a sporting perspective MICHAELs decision commands respect. Of course he risks to look unspectacular after such a long break and not knowing the car at all. JAIMEs drive last time was ok for the young talent but expectations on MICHAEL will be different. However, to expect a win or podium is quite rich. I would love to see such a sensation but he will need a couple of races to get to FERNANDO, LEWIS etc.level. He steps in with the 3rd or 4th best car and would have to be rated average compared to his driver competitors until he knows the car. So a fair expectation would be somewhere 6th-12th. Look at it this way, the car is not that great, Valencia unknown to him, so anyone MICHAEL can beat in this race is a decent effort.

Anyway, all the best for going on "Mission Impossible", and a full recovery for FELIPE...
YOURS IN SPORT

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:41 am

I think that he will finish about 5th. Fitness will not be a problem for him and he will adapt to the car in quick time.

I am looking forward to see how Kimi copes. Will having MS driving in the same team help or hinder him.

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 pm

F1greyhound wrote:Obviously this is great news for F1 from any point of view.

For whatever reason, it was one of my first thoughts after learning that FELIPE wont race in Valencia and probably the rest of the season, that only a replacement by MICHAEL would really make much sense.
At first, I was not sure why you would say 'only a replacement by MICHAEL would really make much sense', F1greyhound. Then I looked at Ferrari's history with substitute drivers.

This will make the 3rd time Luca Badoer was passed over in this type of situation. When Ferrari needed a replacement for the ailing Gerhard Berger that black weekend at San Marino in 1994, they hired Nicola Larini who finished 2nd. A few years later after Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone, they hired Mika Salo who would have won in Germany only to be told by the team to give way to Eddie Irvine. He finished 2nd.

I am reminded of how well Mario Andretti did in the Ferrari 126C2 after Didier Pironi's career ending accident in 1982. Super Mario, although not "retired" from racing, had been out of Formula 1 for 2 years and had never driven a turbo charged F1 pocket rocket. He nearly won the USGP at Las Vegas retiring from the lead a few laps before the end of the race. Earlier that year, Patrick Tambay won the German GP, the same race where Pironi crashed, taking over from the late Gilles Villeneuve. Who can forget Nigel Mansell's last F1 victory in a one off reappearance at Williams in Australia? (It is important to note his Williams return was in replacement of the late Ayrton Senna!)

History bodes well for Michael Schumacher. Does anyone really wonder?
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Re.the Valencia GP I think MARC GENE would have been as good as MICHAEL, considering he is a decent driver and has had more recent tests in the 2009 model.

In fact MIKA SALO and NICOLA LARINI were rather sensational when they stepped in.

However, this is not only about Valencia, obviously FELIPE wont race until next season given that he has fractured part of his skull. So with 2 or 3 races on you would expect MICHAEL to be able to achieve more for the team than MARC. Then theres the publicity thing....
YOURS IN SPORT

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 pm

It is reported that the Williams team objects to Michael Schumacher testing the F60 prior to Friday Practice for Valencia.

More: Report - Williams says no to Schumacher test

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:02 am

It is now confirmed that Williams has opposed allowing Michael Schumacher to test the Ferrari F60 prior to the European Grand Prix.

The Williams team told the media "Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European grand prix."

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 am

Ed wrote:It is now confirmed that Williams has opposed allowing Michael Schumacher to test the Ferrari F60 prior to the European Grand Prix.

The Williams team told the media "Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European grand prix."
BLOODY BEAUT...... :lol:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

<T-K>
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by <T-K> » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:19 am

Ed wrote:It is now confirmed that Williams has opposed allowing Michael Schumacher to test the Ferrari F60 prior to the European Grand Prix.

Stick it to the man...so to speak :clap: :crush: :box:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 am

Makes a lot of sense. Yes I can't stand Michael but this has nothing to do with it.
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Tim
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 am

I disagree with allowing Michael to test. I don't agree with the test ban rules but rules are rules. If the rookies can't test (and it is mainly a saftey concern) then Michael certainly shouldn't. Checkout my latest blog article BMW out, Michael Schumacher in

GhoGho
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by GhoGho » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:14 pm

Tim wrote:I disagree with allowing Michael to test. I don't agree with the test ban rules but rules are rules. If the rookies can't test (and it is mainly a saftey concern) then Michael certainly shouldn't. Checkout my latest blog article BMW out, Michael Schumacher in
Have to agree with you "rules are rules".
One thing I have learnt though is that if you don't ask for something no one is going to just hand it to you.
STR had a similar request for Jaime Alguersuari which was also agreed to by some, but not all the teams, therefore no test.
The big difference here is that it is Ferrari that made the request = fodder for the press, while STR's request (and rejection thereof) went by unnoticed and unreported.
I'm in shape

Round is a shape...........

:cheers:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:44 pm

It is reported that Michael Schumacher's neck injury (as a result of a motorbike accident) may prevent his return. It is hard to tell the chances of his neck injury preventing him from racing again in Formula 1 but we'll just have to wait for the official news.

More: Sore neck may prevent Schumacher's return

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:39 am

Maybe he was just too slow.

i
n
s
e
r
t

i
n
s
u
l
t
i
n
g

c
o
m
m
e
n
t

h
e
r
e

. :flag:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:09 pm

It was announced today that Michael Schumacher will not make a comeback to Formula 1. He revealed that his neck cannot withstand the extreme stresses caused by Formula One yet. Ferrari have chosen Luca Badoer to replace Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix

Ferrari issued the following statement:

With Michael Schumacher now being unavailable to stand in for Felipe Massa, as from the forthcoming European Grand Prix, Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro announces that car number 3 will be driven by Luca Badoer.

"I am very unhappy that a problem means that Michael cannot return to racing," commented Luca di Montezemolo. "In the past few days, I could appreciate his great efforts and extraordinary motivation which had spread through the team and fans around the world. No doubt his return would have been good for Formula 1 and I am sure it would have seen him fighting for wins again. In the name of Ferrari and all the fans, I wish to thank him for the strong attachment he displayed for the team in these circumstances. In agreement with Stefano Domenicali, we have therefore decided to give Luca Badoer the chance to race for the Scuderia after he has put in so many years of hard work as a test driver."

More: Schumacher calls off comeback, Badoer to race instead

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm

One has to wonder how many "fans" will now be demanding their money back.
Webbo n Vettel will be a tad disappointed, especially Webbo, who was looking so forward to another outside oveertaking move, after the inevitable off line schuey swerve, :cry: