No votes
Mark Webber
9%

Total votes: 11

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Massa now 8.3 seconds behind Vettel in 7th.

Final lap!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Hamilton unlaps himself as he was a lap down behind Alonso

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Alonso wins his second race of the season in a row. Who would have expected it ?

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Kubica finishes second ahead of Raikkonen.
Piquet, Trulli, Bourdais, Vettel and Massa make the top 8.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:10 pm

In the Drivers' Championship, Hamilton still leads with 84 points 6 points ahead of Massa who is on 78 points.

Kubica is not out of the running yet, he is on 72 points.

2 races remain!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Certainly an unexpected result but a well deserved win for Fernando Alonso who put in some stunning laps in the middle stint which ensured he won the race with relative ease.

Well done to Kubica who managed to finish second, both himself and Alonso managing to capitalise on the first corner drama. While he couldn't do much about Alonso, he defended well and managed to stay ahead of Raikkonen at the end of the race.

Raikkonen finishing third would have been a disspointment particularly after leading into the first corner and that is where Raikkonen lost out with the over agressive driving of Hamilton. Given that, he managed well to finish in 3rd but probably should have managed to get ahead of Kubica.

Piquet had a good race this round and managed to stay out of trouble and finish an impressive 4th having started from 12th.

Trulli finished in 5th and scored a few points for Toyota at their track. That is reasonable result.

Bourdais and Vettel in 6th and 7th, another good result for the Toro Rosso after starting in 10th and 9th. A good result for Bourdais and helps his chances for next year.

Massa lost out at the start following Hamilton's move but then drove too aggressively himself forcing Hamilton into a spin and getting penalised as a result.

Finally a word on Hamilton, prior to this race there has been a lot of critisism on his agressive driving (or over agressive as some may describe). He certainly went way too far at the start of this race, first cutting right in front of Kovalainen then forcing many cars off the track including himself. Luckily there was no major pileup but there were many wheel banging and Coulthard's big shunt was due to a damaged rear suspension as a result of the chaos.
In addition he not only ruined his race but a few others as well.
He didn't do his Championship ambitions any good and needs someone to tell him that races and Championships are not won this way.

Your thoughts and the driver of the day ?

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Update: Bourdais gets a 25 second penalty added to his race for causing a collision with Massa.

This has moved Vettel up into 6th, Massa up into 7th place and Webber into 8th.

Bourdais drops from 6th to 10th.

Here is the team by team summary (GMM):

RENAULT

After a fortuitous Singapore victory, Fernando Alonso emerged an unlikely back-to-back winner with a thoroughly deserved win at Fuji Speedway, aided only by the wild antics of the championship contenders. "We are now the third strongest team," the Spaniard proclaimed. Nelson Piquet finished fourth with a strong drive.

BMW-SAUBER

Dark horse Robert Kubica breathed life into his own title charge, now just 12 points from the championship lead with 2 races to go, but unable to match Alonso's pace in Japan. "We have been struggling a little bit recently so this is a real boost," said the Pole, who inherited an early lead after the first lap incidents. Nick Heidfeld improved his 16th grid spot to tenth at the chequered flag.

FERRARI

Felipe Massa had arguably the most incident-packed race of his career; a penalty for tipping championship challenger Lewis Hamilton into a spin, prodigious pace to fight back to eighth place, a tough fight against the pit straight wall with Mark Webber, and then an extra point after a stewards' investigation for his collision with Sebastien Bourdais. "Definitely not a disaster given that my closest rival failed to score points," said the Brazilian, whose deficit decreased from 7 to 5 points with two races to go. Kimi Raikkonen finished third, after a tough fight with Kubica while carrying light damage from a McLaren scrape.

TOYOTA

Jarno Trulli finished fifth for circuit-owners Toyota, failing to keep Piquet behind him. "The lower temperatures didn't help us," said the slightly disappointed Italian. Timo Glock had a short afternoon; damaging his car on David Coulthard's crash debris and then losing it over a kerb.

TORO ROSSO-FERRARI

Sebastien Bourdais finished a notable sixth, but a post-race stewards investigation added 25 seconds to his time for his clash with Massa. "There was nowhere else I could go," said the angry Frenchman, demoted out of the points. Sebastian Vettel followed Bourdais home after a bad first lap.

RED BULL-RENAULT

A point-less run to ninth for Mark Webber following an appalling start off the line. He ultimately defended hard against Massa's advances but lost the final championship point -- before winning it back amid the post-race Bourdais penalty reshuffle. David Coulthard was not injured in a heavy crash, triggered by a broken suspension picked up in the tussle of the opening lap.

WILLIAMS-TOYOTA

The only Japanese driver in the Fuji field had a good weekend but picked up heavy damage in the first lap carnage and finished dead last. A minute behind the winner, Nico Rosberg finished 11th, lamenting an awful run off the line. "Our starts were great at the beginning of the season, but now they are poor," technical boss Sam Michael said.

MCLAREN-MERCEDES

A very bad race and no points for championship leader Hamilton, but rival Massa's problems mean he is still leading the drivers' table by 5 points with two races to go. The Briton locked up and pushed Raikkonen wide in the first corner, incurring another controversial penalty, before a collision with Massa attracted a penalty for the Ferrari but dropped Hamilton to the back of the field. "I guess things could have been worse," said team boss Ron Dennis. Heikki Kovalainen retired from third place with a rare Mercedes engine failure.

HONDA

The only finisher behind the lapped Hondas, led again on Sunday by Rubens Barrichello, was Williams' Nakajima. Jenson Button enjoyed an excellent start off the grid, as did his teammate, but finished just 14th with the uncompetitive RA108. "The tyres quickly grained and he lost all of that advantage," team boss Ross Brawn rued.

FORCE INDIA-FERRARI

Of the five non-finishers, two of them were Force Indias. Adrian Sutil had burst up to 10th from a great start when a tyre failed on lap 9. Giancarlo Fisichella also raced off the last row of the grid amid the start chaos but retired with a broken gearbox. "At least we are fighting again," he said.
Last edited by Ed on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 am

Driver of the day has never been more simple - FERNANDO was different class today, and it was not primarily down to the package. With at least 4 supreme cars going to turn 1 in front of him his victory means a lot. 2nd best would go to SEBASTIEN...

While Im a great fan of both LEWIS and FELIPE I found some of their actions particularly hard to understand, especially LEWIS showed a pretty reckless move after the start worst of which was that he almost crashed right into his team mate before his hopeless attack on KIMI who didnt do anything wrong in this GP. FELIPE who was stopped in his tracks by the following mess was a bit over aggressive too, with 2 less than smooth manoeuvres against LEWIS and SEBASTIEN(should never have been penalised!).

ROBERT, NELSON, JARNO and SEBASTIAN did well, MARK and NICK were not that impressive just like anyone opting for a 1-stop strategy which was hopeless today.

I think altogether FELIPE will be on a better mindset in China than LEWIS who moreless proved ROBERTs criticism about right. However MICHAEL often got a similar bashing and maybe it is this extreme confidence you need to become a true dominator of the sport. But LEWIS should really not throw away a second WDC in a row.....
YOURS IN SPORT

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:06 am

:good:

Both Ed and F1 Greyhound have been very genteel in their criticisms of Ron Dennis's favorite driver. I howled with laughter :lol: at Ron's suggestion that Robert Kubica "focus on his own driving" before the race when Fearless Bob had the actual nerve to point out that Hamilton has been driving like a teenager on stimulants, evidently assuming that because he is the points leader everyone else on the circuit must defer to whatever hare-brained maneuver he decides to attempt!!

As Ed remarked, Hamilton's TOTALLY GOOFY ATTEMPT TO PUSH THE ENTIRE FIRST THREE ROWS OFF THE CIRCUIT ON TURN ONE (for crying out loud, the very first turn of the race!!) he not only ruined his own race, but put everyone else behind AT RISK OF SERIOUS INJURY.

(In fairness, Ed's remarks were much more gentlemanly than my characterization!)

Fortunately, the other drivers are Formula One class competitors and so they did the best they could to minimize the damage.

How I wish the racing gods had not frowned on Heikki! But maybe they decided to spank the Silver and Black for once instead of the Red Machines.

Fernando drove like a World Driving Champion --and so did Kimi. But compare how quiet and business like Kimi's remarks (he sounds as circumspect as Ed!) on the first turn 'incident' were to the INSANE SELF-JUSTIFICATION of Lewis Hamilton.

Kimi Raikkonen, :up: Ferrari (3rd): 
"Even if third place has put an end to a run of poor results, I am a bit disappointed because today we had the means to win. At the start, I got away well but then, at the first corner, the two McLarens arrived too fast at the braking point and prevented me from turning in, taking me off the track. That lost me a lot of ground and I found myself in the middle of the pack. On top of that, the car was not quite right as I was hit by one of the McLarens: the steering was a bit light and there was other damage as well. I tried to do the best I could but I was not as quick as I'd hoped, especially in the second stint. Before the second stop, I closed on Kubica but I couldn't pass him in the pit stop because on my in lap I found myself behind Rosberg a lap down. Then I tried several times to attack Robert but he defended his position well. At one point, I did find myself slightly ahead of him going into turn 3, but I was on the outside and he did not give up the line so I had to go off the track. After that, I had a bit of graining and so I was not able to catch up again. In any case, I am happy to have brought home important points for the team."

Lewis Hamilton :evil:, McLaren (12th): 
"Obviously, I’m not happy after a result like today’s - but I’m already getting over it and tomorrow will be another day. Disappointingly, I didn’t make a great start, but I slipstreamed Kimi and went up the inside. I braked a bit late - but so did everybody. A lot of cars went wide at Turn One - and I just went a bit wider than everyone else. But you can’t undo the penalty or change today’s result. On lap two, Felipe went wide and I went up the inside, giving him room, but he tapped me quite hard into a spin. There are positives to take from today; I’ve only lost two points to Felipe in the drivers’ championship, so it’s definitely not over. Now I’ll forget today ever happened and move forward; we’ve got two more races to go and my target is still to win both of them."

Now ask yourself how he would have whined had Kimi pulled anything like as dumb a stunt as he did -- or actually DARED to damage his precious machine and so reduce his chances of winning the WDC! Never mind that his asinine driving took away any chance Kimi has to win. :furious:

I am now hoping Kimi manages to win both of the final races --and I am praying for at least one DNF for Hamilton. Maybe David C. could figure out how to cut one of the chicanes and T-bone him?

At any rate, it is thrilling to have Hamilton inherit the cordial loathing of the entire field and most of the fans that Schumacher carried for so long!

I forget who it was that said his head told him Lewis would win but his heart was pulling for Felipe, but he speaks for many.

I'm very glad for Jay Vee! It's wonderful that Fernando is winning races and I'd be all for him sweeping the next two but it would only usher Lewis into the crown!

On to China! :cheers:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:41 am

How sweet was that ? :D :D

I am so happy to see Alonso The Cute winning in style again. The middle stint, that was Alonso doing his magic.

Great to see him so happy on the podium although chatting with Kubica during the anthem may have been a bit disrespectful.

As for Hamilton, well that first corner stunt was simply stupid. But that is Hamilton, the self proclaimed "best" driver out there and the one who is as good as Senna was :evil:

Yes Massa tried to take back a position unfairly but Hamilton needs someone to tell him that he is not above the rest as he may think.
Once again he will give away the championship as he isn't disciplined enough, part of the credit should go to Ron Dennis.
Now more and more drivers are getting fed up with the way Hamilton drives and soon no one will respect him.

Thanks Jim for the thought, as long as Alonso wins I am happy but I tell you a scenario I would like to see, with Hamilton needing to finish second to win the championship, Massa wins with Alonso managing to get ahead of Hamilton and finishing second. That would be way cool.

Another cool scenario for me would be for Kubica to win it after Massa and Hamilton crash out twice!!

I resisted saying this after Singapore as I felt that win was a lucky one for Alonso but after Japan's win I will, late last year after Alonso was released from McLaren and he rejoined Renault, one well know motorsport journalist who took McLaren and Hamilton's side said "I suspect that Alonso will be lucky ever again to win a grand prix, let alone a world championship, over the balance of his career"

Eat your words Alan Henry
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Kapel
2004 Champ
2004 Champ

Post by Kapel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Bravo Alonso Bravo ! :clap: :up:

Brilliant drive,composed like a champion...we could actually see his magic this race.

I was a little surprised how close the cars were in this race in terms of speed..mayb the tyres..

Some F1 drivers do have big ego..dont they?...showed by Lewis today....it ok to be overtaken at the start...just dont risk lives of other drivers just cos u think ur the best n they would move :twisted:
Dunno if the stewards also dislike Lewis apart from his other colleague drivers...we have seen similar incidents at turn one's...cant recollect anybody being penalised for tht..mayb the rules changed!!

Massa i think made the mistake a paid heavily for it...somehow i do think it was deliberate in a way...knew he lost the corner to lewis..should have avoided him...probably couldnt back off..big risk of damaging his car..ver lucky....but deserved the penalty..

Kubica is the driver to watch out for...except for Singapore...he has been scoring points more consistently n has closed the gap...I put my money on him for the championship...in the wake of the 2 leaders getting into tangle more now...

Kimi drove a perfect race as he could...but was disappointed for him to not finish 2nd ..

Alonso or Kimi could win the remain 2 races as both the leaders are either gonna to safe or take each other out...Robert Kubica the new world champion!!!

:cheers:
An F1 Idiot!!!

F1greyhound
Over 500
Over 500

Post by F1greyhound » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 am

After reading your posts I hope I was not misunderstood re.FELIPEs penalty. I think it was alright just like LEWIS` even if the latter was the source for FELIPEs frustration....

However I dont agree with SEBASTIENs penalty as that was rather FELIPEs fault by cutting in, I would see that as a racing incident. I am sure TORO ROSSO will have seen they have a good racer in SEBASTIEN and wont make a freak double driver exchange(SV going to RED BULL already)!

LEWIS is not as bad as some of you want to make him now, ok he has a tad too much self esteem but this season he spoke respectfully of some colleagues e.g. FELIPE. It is correct though that he still has to learn that there are certain limits which he didnt show to be aware of after the start of this GP....It is true he reminds of AYRTON and MICHAEL and maybe thats the way a sport dominator has to be? Ok, not in every sport(..Tennis..) but in head to head battling disciplines...Dont forget FERNANDO didnt make many friends last year either..;-) - nobody is free of fault...

I hope this WDC goes to FELIPE as Im sure that would bring LEWIS more forward than if he wins..;-) plus I feel FERRARI will take longer than many other teams to introduce a great KERS. They might well be off the pace for 2 or 3 seasons!

Come Shanghai!!!

PS.Who gave his vote to MARK as driver of the day? :roll: :shock: :? :o :) :lol: :D
YOURS IN SPORT

Jim Watt
Racer
Racer

Post by Jim Watt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 am

:D Greetings chaps (and lasses):

So good to see the lively chatter and the hopes for some kind of finish to the season that rewards the right people. :twinb:

F1Greyhound: What's your reason for thinking Ferrari's having KERS trouble? I am intrigued because I've not heard anything about this. I remember something about problems at Sauber/BMW and a rumor about difficulties with the McLaren, but this is the first I've heard about Ferrari.

Thanks for your observations re: Lewis Hamilton's capacity to be generous to his competitors (at least in his remarks). And you may well be right that a certain cold-blooded indifference to the others may be a beneficial trait for a WDC. Still, leaving aside the question of what a "good sport" is, it certainly seems smarter to have friends in the field with you rather than enemies if for no other reason than that everyone needs help from time to time and usually needs it at just the most unexpected turn. :party11:

JayVee: I like your scenarios for the end of season. I wonder if both WDC's will end up with only two wins each? It could happen and Robert K. or Felipe could leave Lewis scratching his head (or banging it against a wall!) :cheer:

I'm glad Fernando is staying with Renault; I think he'd have as much trouble working for Ferrari as he did for McLaren. And I hope Renault and Sauber turn the series next year into a four team race! (I am dreaming, too, that Ross Braun's magic will bring Honda back at least into the mid-field, if not ahead of Toyota!)

Now I have to try to figure out my China picks. The last few races have dropped me well into the 300's over all! :oops:

Jim Watt
My Racing Gods: Fangio, Vukovich; Senna & Mears --all racers all the time; graceful winners & generous in defeat, but never giving up!!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am

F1greyhound wrote: LEWIS is not as bad as some of you want to make him now, ok he has a tad too much self esteem but this season he spoke respectfully of some colleagues e.g. FELIPE. It is correct though that he still has to learn that there are certain limits which he didnt show to be aware of after the start of this GP....It is true he reminds of AYRTON and MICHAEL and maybe thats the way a sport dominator has to be? Ok, not in every sport(..Tennis..) but in head to head battling disciplines...Dont forget FERNANDO didnt make many friends last year either..;-) - nobody is free of fault...
Hamilton is two faced. He tries to win over people with his talk and that is what he managed to do last year and perhaps earlier this year. But following Canada and his stupid crash into Raikkonen, he started showing who he really is and didn't even apologise about what he did to Raikkonen.

And I'll just repeat part of the quote that Jim had posted earlier for Hamilton "I didn’t make a great start, but I slipstreamed Kimi and went up the inside. I braked a bit late - but so did everybody. A lot of cars went wide at Turn One - and I just went a bit wider than everyone else. But you can’t undo the penalty or change today’s result"

How arrogant and disrespectful is that statement ?

He braked late but so did everyone else. Oh really, I saw the mega huge lock up from him only and not everyone else.

And a lot of cars went wide at Turn One - and I just went a bit wider than everyone else. Again, you are on the inside and going wide means that anyone on the outside will have to avoid crashing into you.

Such stupid remarks doesn't win him any support. Does he think we are fools ? Or is he hoping that no one saw what happened ?

This is the real Hamilton, he was obviously putting on fake face in the past

As for Alonso, yes he didn't make many friends last year but that was only at McLaren. His problem was with Hamilton and Ron and just those two. Many said he is unemployable and that turned out to be pure rubbish with him controlling the driver market.

On track in his two championship winning seasons, did he push anyone off the track ? was he over aggressive ?
You can be a champion without the way over the top arrogance
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!