Is this the end of Max Mosley ? (Mosley survives!)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Should Max Mosley resign as President of the FIA

Yes, he should be responsible for his actions
85%
No, this is a private matter
15%

Total votes: 13

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Is this the end of Max Mosley ? (Mosley survives!)

Post by Ed » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Allegations recently surfaced about the FIA President Max Mosely being engaged in a Nazi death-camp role play orgy with a number of prostitutes. (Full story)

Is it acceptable for the President of the FIA to be engaged in such activity ? particulary given his strong public stance on racisim following the racist attacks on Hamilton in Spain ?

Is it time he resigned ?
Last edited by Ed on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jido
F1 Tester
F1 Tester

Post by jido » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I don't care one way or the other, the real question is whether the FIA remains a credible institution after this affair-- if not Moxley will leave.

It depends on the public reaction to private scandals doesn't it? If the public digs the dirt and it is shown to be real footage the emotion will blow up, spirits rise and there may be collateral damages.
:no::crush:

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 pm

It appears that Max Mosley is so far resisting calls to quit and is fighting back with his lawyers apparently forcing the tabloid to take down the video of his act from their website.

Senior figures in F1 including Bernie Ecclestone however appear to be in favour of Mosley quitting. (More)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 pm

When what a person does in private gets made public then it is a public matter. Alot of us will look at Max differently because of what he did and that can't be good for the image of the sport.

I do question why the media of modern times go out of the way to bring things to our attention that we really shouldn't know about. What a person does in private should really be kept in private as long as what they are doing is not illegal. I don't agree with what Max did but it shouldn't be any of my business.

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:12 pm

In many countries prostitution is illegal, in the UK prostitution is legal but soliciting on the street and running a brothel is illegal. If he was in a brothel then there is a question as to the legallity of his private life.

It all seems a bit weird to me, I am pretty horny most of the time, enjoy playing games but I've never considered paying for sex or visiting a brothel. Perhaps there is something wrong with me! :shock:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Max Mosley is planning to sue the paper and has denied that any of his actions are racist.

For the time being it appears that he is staying on (More)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Southernman wrote:I do question why the media of modern times go out of the way to bring things to our attention that we really shouldn't know about. What a person does in private should really be kept in private as long as what they are doing is not illegal. I don't agree with what Max did but it shouldn't be any of my business.
I do agree with you on this Southernman however I feel that the media in this case were tipped off by a party who wants to damage Max Mosley and in recent years there have been many of those.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 pm

The 2 German moto manufacturers involved in Formula 1, BMW and Mercedes Benz, have issued a statement strongly distancing themselves from the actions of Max Mosley.

"This incident concerns Max Mosley both personally and as president of the FIA, the global umbrella organisation for motoring clubs.

"Its consequences therefore extend far beyond the motor sport industry. We await a response from the relevant FIA bodies."

It is believed Toyota and Honda may follow suit.

It has also been revealed that Max Mosley was told by the Crown Prince of Bahrain that he wasn't welcome to attend the race as well as a dinner hosted by the Crown Prince.(More)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 am

The sooner mad Max bites the bullet the better it will be for formuala 1 and himself. The media aren't going to let the issue of his private life go and the amount of sarcastic comments that I've already heard from people that don't even follow sport is amazing. If I was to repeat some of the comments made I would have user banned under my name. :lol:

Witty and amusung the comments are, and something that even if allowed to post I wouldn't post. It's not what formula 1 needs after the controversial year that last year was.

Max needs to take a long holiday and fly as far under the radar as possibe. I wouldn't recommend Spain as a place for him to visit after his over reaction after an incident involving a very small number of spanish fans earlier this year.

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Although the last thing I want to do is speculate on the private life of someone, I think Max Mosley was never going to leave unless he was kicked out. And this may be it.

Snowy, you are not a 67 yo male are you ? :wink:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:36 pm

There has been plenty of action off the track in relation to the Mosley sex scandal.

A number of motorsport organisations are now publicly backing away from Mosley. (More)

Despite issuing a joint statement with Mercedes distancing themselves from his actions, Mario Theissen beleives it was a setup for Mosley. (More)

Yesterday, the FIA have called for an extraordinary general assembly to discuss what it described as "the illegal invasion of the President's privacy" (More)

Snowy
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by Snowy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:18 am

JayVee wrote: Snowy, you are not a 67 yo male are you ? :wink:

Not quite :wink: but my mum is having her 90th birthday this weekend! :party:
Lewis Hamilton & Jenson Button World Champions :)

Redhead
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner
2006 8 'n' Pole Round Winner

Post by Redhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:04 am

Max's public dignity is now in tatters, he is now the warnie of the motor racing world. Although people suddenly seem to be ridiculously elevating the geopolitical significance of the role of FIA president so as to justify their calls for his head, I still find it hard to see how he can continue.

His tastes may be a little off centre, but I tell who's a real wierdo and thats me, because I dont dislike Max. If you beleived everything you read on internet forums you would think he is an incompetent fool, hell bent on petty personal vendettas and ruining F1 with every stroke of his pen. I personally dont buy any of that but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think he's a very clever and competent man, but has been hamstrung by the stranglehold Bernie has on the running of F1 and who doesnt want to tinker with the formula enough to solve the real problems. It may be said he is a little too much in Bernie's pocket but then that could be said of the entire F1 circus.

I dont have any objection to what he was doing, it doesnt really do anything for me, but what goes on between consenting adults is really their business. However now it is irreversibly in the public domain and is too easy for people, who want to, to take the moral high ground. I think it is a sad way to end a career, and to be honest I feel sorry for him. I know you can argue it comes with the territory, live by the sword die by the sword and all that, but still on balance I feel sorry for him.

The real interest for me is if he was set up by someone other than the newspaper acting on its own ,and if so by who? I find it hard to believe it was Ron Dennis, but I wouldnt mind betting it has something to do with the Maclaren sanction last year

cheers,
Cam
All Italiano WDC 2007!
(OK there was a Finn, a Brazilian and a Frenchman ...........)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:58 am

According to the German paper Bild, the uncovering of the Mosley sex scandal was a lengthy and complicated investigation conducted by a specialty British agency. The paper claims that tiny pin cameras were used to capture the footage of the act and phone and computer surveillance may have also been used. (More)

In the meantime, Max Mosley remains defiant claiming he did nothing wrong saying "I believe that twenty first century adults do not worry about private sexual matters as long as they are legal and harmless.
"The offence seems to be not what I did but the fact that it became public, I think I have done nothing wrong and that the wrong was done by the newspaper, I don't think any of this should affect my work on motoring safety, the environment or the sport"

Mosley claims that continues to have the support of many FIA clubs. (More)

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm

It looks like Max Mosley continues to lose support for his bid to hang on the presidency of the FIA and there is widespread speculation now that Bernie Ecclestone is no longer supporting him and that can only mean that Mosley will have to resign. (More)

Meanwhile Australian Paul Stoddart wants Mosley out and when that happens he would consider returning to F1 as a team owner. (More)