David Coulthard
5%

Total votes: 21

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:51 pm

JayVee wrote:
K-D wrote: Look back at the result for the last many San Marino Grand Prix's - last time it was won by a driver not named Schumacher - Was Coulthard in 1998!!!

Without stats at hand I don't have complete answer, but of the 6 races I think that a driver not named Schumacher have led about 20 laps.

Yes Michael Schumacher from Pole, fastest lap.

8)
I am not referring to statistics but on how superior the F2004 was in Bahrain yet no where near superior in Imola. Year on year the cars generally behave similarly so my assumption is that while the Ferrari may have been a match to Renault in Bahrain (for 13 laps), it won't be in Imola. This is my logic :wink:

K-D wrote: I am sure and 100% convinced that a car can get reliable in 3 weeks.
Ferrari would love to have you as their PR ambassdor :wink:

Is that as sure and convinced as you were beleiving that Michael was going to win Melbourne, Sepang and Bahrain :wink:
In general statistics can be used for whatever result you are trying to make. For the time being it is a fact that no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix since 1998.

The belief that a car can be made reliable in 3 weeks is really not that much of a stretch. It took Toyota 2 weeks to fix the cars rear-tire eating tendencies. After having spend 2 months not being able to, during winter testing.

I have for the last two Grand Prix's explained that I will guess Michael Schumacher as the winner of all Grand Prix's that he participate in form now on, until he retires. That is not a question of being convinced, that is obviously a case of going with "my man" - As soon as Michael Schumacher retires, I will guess Fernando Alonso as the winner of every single Grand Prix.

I expect that Marc gene, Luca badoer, Bartolini, Schumacher and Barichello will p?und around the tracks of Europe, running the gearboxes hard, running the engines to the limit and that both Ferrari's will be finishin the San Marino Grand prix, unless involved in an incident with another driver.

8)
K-D

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:33 pm

F1greyhound wrote:The Bridgestones have been desperate in Malaysia but showed pace in Bahrain. Rubens biggest problem were not the tyres but the gearbox.

I doubt Michael was particularly light, according to Ross Brawns statement they had the right strategy, which doesnt mean 3 stops because then they would have been struggling.

Talking reliability its interesting to see GianCarlo struggle at RENAULT as it would have been expected that Fernando is actually harder on the car?!
What pace :shock:
Barrichello struggled with his tyres in the race. He said it, Ferrari said it, Bridgestone said it and his rivals said it.

If Michael wasn't light someone at Ferrari would have said so. When Brawn says "I think the strategy we had would have been competitive" it means it was not a typical strategy IMHO
He also said they need to make a big step forward. He knows that they are not yet competitive

Yes interesting about Fisichella, first he struggles in Malaysia with tyres (presumably) and in Bahrain his engine fails
I guess Alonso is a smart driver :wink:
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44 pm

K-D wrote: In general statistics can be used for whatever result you are trying to make. For the time being it is a fact that no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix since 1998.

The belief that a car can be made reliable in 3 weeks is really not that much of a stretch. It took Toyota 2 weeks to fix the cars rear-tire eating tendencies. After having spend 2 months not being able to, during winter testing.

I have for the last two Grand Prix's explained that I will guess Michael Schumacher as the winner of all Grand Prix's that he participate in form now on, until he retires. That is not a question of being convinced, that is obviously a case of going with "my man" - As soon as Michael Schumacher retires, I will guess Fernando Alonso as the winner of every single Grand Prix.

I expect that Marc gene, Luca badoer, Bartolini, Schumacher and Barichello will p?und around the tracks of Europe, running the gearboxes hard, running the engines to the limit and that both Ferrari's will be finishin the San Marino Grand prix, unless involved in an incident with another driver.

8)
Hey are you a journalist :shock: :shock:

For sure you can play with stats! You nearly fooled my with your statement that "no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix since 1998"

When we discuss Michael lets not also use his brother to aid him :shock: :shock:

And just for accuracy, In 98 Coulthard won, in 2001 Ralf Schumacher won.

Lets not try to twist facts :twisted:

re Toyota, cooking tyres is also affected by the track you run on. A gearbox failing in practice or a hydraulic system failing 13 laps into a race can happen anywhere.

But using your theory, Toyota have known about tyre cooking since winter testing and it took them how long to fix ? not two weeks but a few months!
Ferrari have brought the car prematurely so using Toyota as an example, it will be late May/early June when they get things sorted.

Yes they will test like crazy but certain processes take time and nothing can be done about that. Just look at their gearbox spare embarassement!

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:02 pm

JayVee wrote:
Hey are you a journalist :shock: :shock: - Only freelance, and an unpaid one at that. And never in sporting matters

For sure you can play with stats! You nearly fooled my with your statement that "no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix since 1998" - Fact is that since 1998 no-one not named Schumacher have won the San marinon Grand Prix.

When we discuss Michael lets not also use his brother to aid him :shock: :shock: - No we are not discussing Michael Schumacher. We are discussing the likely, or unlikely event of Michael Schumacher winning the San mariono Grand Prix. Where I introduce the fact that since 1998 no-one not named Schumacher have won. My follow up on that, is that the races have been won from the front, get in front and you own that race. It is basically impossible to overtake there, so a strong qualifying effort will place Michael on Pole, or second. Fromt the start he will be either first or second, and based on a superior race pace will win the race.

And just for accuracy, In 98 Coulthard won, in 2001 Ralf Schumacher won. - Yes as I have written repeatedly. Since 1998 no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix.

Lets not try to twist facts :twisted: - I fail to see where I twisetd anything, kindly elaborate.

re Toyota, cooking tyres is also affected by the track you run on. A gearbox failing in practice or a hydraulic system failing 13 laps into a race can happen anywhere. - Yes and no. You can hardly refute that Ferrari have been close to bulletproof the last 5 seasons, so when Ferrari have gearbox issues with 3 cars over a raceweekedn, it is significant, and need a lot of attention. The Ferrari gearbox is new this season, and I will venture that something is not quite right with it, despite the rigorous testing it has been through. However now they know what is wrong, and I garuantee that they will remedy this in time for San Marino.

But using your theory, Toyota have known about tyre cooking since winter testing and it took them how long to fix ? not two weeks but a few months! - No like Ferrari they thought it fixed going to the race, and then found that under race conditions it was not, and then fixed it in two weeks.

Ferrari have brought the car prematurely so using Toyota as an example, it will be late May/early June when they get things sorted. - No.

Yes they will test like crazy but certain processes take time and nothing can be done about that. Just look at their gearbox spare embarassement! - We will discuss this again the Monday after the San Marino Grand Prix.
8)
K-D

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:20 pm

I'll try to be short and not repititive,

Twisting facts: I understood you were emphasing that only Michael won since 98 and not that a driver starting from the front will win. No where did you indicate that in your previous posts.

The F2004M, F2003-GA and F2002 were all bullet proof. Again that doesn't guarantee that the F2005 will be the same
No like Ferrari they thought it fixed going to the race, and then found that under race conditions it was not, and then fixed it in two weeks.
Why are you assuming that Toyota thought they fixed their tyre problem by Melbourne. Most likely they knew they had the problem but the "fix" would take longer to introduce.
Despite the zillions of dollars these teams have, things need time. As I said, the Ferrari gearbox was a classic example. A company like Ferrari doesn't have a spare gearbox :shock: :shock:

We sure will discuss after Imola. I enjoy it!!

One last thing, what do you mean by "so when Ferrari have gearbox issues with 3 cars over a raceweekedn"

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:50 pm

JayVee wrote:I'll try to be short and not repititive,

Twisting facts: I understood you were emphasing that only Michael won since 98 and not that a driver starting from the front will win. No where did you indicate that in your previous posts. - I stated the fact that no-one not named Schumacher had won the San Mariono Grand Prix since 1998, you need to read what I write before you reply.

The F2004M, F2003-GA and F2002 were all bullet proof. Again that doesn't guarantee that the F2005 will be the same - I know, I agree, that is what I just wrote. However I am also writing that I expect them to solve this.
No like Ferrari they thought it fixed going to the race, and then found that under race conditions it was not, and then fixed it in two weeks.
Why are you assuming that Toyota thought they fixed their tyre problem by Melbourne. Most likely they knew they had the problem but the "fix" would take longer to introduce. - They were caught out like Ferrari were by the strain that a full weekend, and a full race place on the car, tires, engin etc... And then they fixed it in two weeks.

Despite the zillions of dollars these teams have, things need time. As I said, the Ferrari gearbox was a classic example. A company like Ferrari doesn't have a spare gearbox :shock: :shock: - Their intended schedule were for the car to be introduced in 5 weeks from now, they are still building all tha parts, the strenght and the weakness in delaying the introduction of a new car, is that you can continue developing anf build parts well inot the season. If you had already build it, there would be no reason not to race it. The gearbox had run more than 2000 km, and it failed. Obviously in a different way than anything that Ferrari had expected, and honestly how many times have you heard of a gearbox expirring, beoynd repair??

We sure will discuss after Imola. I enjoy it!!

One last thing, what do you mean by "so when Ferrari have gearbox issues with 3 cars over a raceweekedn"

1) Rubens during qualifying.

2) Michaels hydraulics caused the gearbox to stick in one gear (4th)

3) Rubens last half of the race.

1 + 1 + 1 = 3.

8)
K-D

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:34 am

K-D wrote:I stated the fact that no-one not named Schumacher had won the San Mariono Grand Prix since 1998, you need to read what I write before you reply. I do read :wink: , but you changed/clarified your point by stating that Imola is won from the front - nothing to do with a Schumacher or non-Schumacher if that is your point.

They were caught out like Ferrari were by the strain that a full weekend, and a full race place on the car, tires, engin etc... And then they fixed it in two weeks. That is a thoery, unless you are a team insider you don't know if they thought they had the fix or knew they were going to struggle. Still we have yet to see Toyota do well at Imola and Barcelona were they expect to struggle

Their intended schedule were for the car to be introduced in 5 weeks from now, they are still building all tha parts, the strenght and the weakness in delaying the introduction of a new car, is that you can continue developing anf build parts well inot the season. If you had already build it, there would be no reason not to race it. The gearbox had run more than 2000 km, and it failed. Obviously in a different way than anything that Ferrari had expected, and honestly how many times have you heard of a gearbox expirring, beoynd repair??
Don't know, I am not privy to team data. But the first gearbox was repaired for Saturday qualifying

1) Rubens during qualifying.

2) Michaels hydraulics caused the gearbox to stick in one gear (4th)
If the hydraulics caused the gearbox problem, you can't call it a gearbox issue - are you serious!

3) Rubens last half of the race.
Last half of the race was tyres as claimed by Rubens and his team. Haven't seen any statement stating he had gearbox problems then.

1 + 1 + 1 = 3. No 1+0+0=1 :wink:
8)

Byron Forbes
F3 Racer
F3 Racer

Post by Byron Forbes » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:28 am

What a great season this is turning out to be. When Ferrari and BAR get their reliability sorted we'll have 6 teams vying for wins with Red Bull not far behind with, no doubt, a healthy budget.

Renault are no doubt on top at the moment, Fisi's engine blowup on the weekend the only concern for them so far. Alonso is the man to beat atm.
Toyota are finally starting to enjoy the benefits of hiring Mark Gascoyne. The question of how long it would take them to succeed has been answered.
It seems McLaren mainly need to qualify better - both their cars spent a lot of time behind others.
Williams claim to have had engine concerns here, needing to limit rpms which perhaps explains Webber's huge lose a bit with Kimi closing in, but he needs to stay cool in those situations. He did do a good job of defending against de la Rosa but with the limited rpms and now flat spotted tyres his chances were never good. When will Webber get that first podium?

I really like the new tyre rules - I think it has leveled the playing field a little and there is less to go wrong in the pitstops as well. Looking forward to some cooler races :)

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 am

K-D wrote:
"I am sure and 100% convinced that a car can get reliable in 3 weeks."
"I expect that Michael Schumacher will win Imola from Pole setting
fastest lap."

I write: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

I herad that before the last 3 races....

K-D wrote:
"Since 1998 no-one not named Schumacher have won the San Marino Grand Prix."

I say: Wow 6 years, that is good from the family... it was a long time they winning... almos a tradition ;) BUT: (almost) everything has an end, and this, for sure. And i see its end is VERY near!!! sad isn't it? =p

K-D wrote:
"However now they know what is wrong, and I garuantee that they will remedy this in time for San Marino." :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
I write: they know how can you be sure!?
and about garuantee.....:

Da style wrote:
I can almost guarantee ferrari will be in winning form from now on..."

he said it when guaranteeing the F2005 wins in Bahrain....

it's a clear error to belive en guarantees done by such BLIND MS and Ferrari fans...

it will be sad but as I "guaranteed" that a REdBUlll will finish ahead of both ferrari in bahrain, now I "guaranteed" you that a Toyota will do so in Imola!!!!!!

:D :lol: :lol: :twisted: :bounce: :bouncec: :bounce: :smokin:

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:48 am

Byron Forbes wrote:What a great season this is turning out to be. When Ferrari and BAR get their reliability sorted we'll have 6 teams vying for wins with Red Bull not far behind with, no doubt, a healthy budget.

Renault are no doubt on top at the moment, Fisi's engine blowup on the weekend the only concern for them so far. Alonso is the man to beat atm.
Toyota are finally starting to enjoy the benefits of hiring Mark Gascoyne. The question of how long it would take them to succeed has been answered.
It seems McLaren mainly need to qualify better - both their cars spent a lot of time behind others.
Williams claim to have had engine concerns here, needing to limit rpms which perhaps explains Webber's huge lose a bit with Kimi closing in, but he needs to stay cool in those situations. He did do a good job of defending against de la Rosa but with the limited rpms and now flat spotted tyres his chances were never good. When will Webber get that first podium?

I really like the new tyre rules - I think it has leveled the playing field a little and there is less to go wrong in the pitstops as well. Looking forward to some cooler races :)
quite agree with you!
hopes for Mclaren Q's!!!
Webber....?? BMW... ??
Toyota! :shock: :up: :up:
and RENAULT are fantastic but I'd like to see them under more pressure.... it would be McLaren if they'd had a better Qualif...
it will maybe also be ferrari but, within a few months... ;)

and :welcome:

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:51 am

Anyone has details on DC - JV touch?

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:44 am

K-D wrote:Anyone voting Pedro driver of the day did not see the race. The driver of the day can not miss breaking points, and skiddadle all over the breaking area. Had this been any other track in the world, he would have been knee-deep in gravel.
:bs: :bs:
Anyone NOT voting Pedro driver of the day did not see the race!!
He "put the fun back into F1" in Bahrain. "but he gave us huge entertainment today in the cockpit because he drove like a man with nothing to lose. His battles with Sato, Webber, Barrichello and Button were tremendous" sand he WON them ALL! it was his first race since 2002 the first in a big team, he of course knew he can push hasrd as there was those big run-off areas and he did pushed hard to the limit he wanted top overtake and he did it! he knew what he had and he finished 5th an excelente result for him.

Anyone voting Alonso driver of the day did not see the race...:
How can be driver of the race when his race last 14 laps? after MS's F2005 broked, he just maneged his tyres and engine easy. he had it so easy after that. His merit is his excelent Qualif. and those laps cool ahead of MS. the RACE, was a Pedro's Race!!!
Congratulations!!!

K-D you can say that what i say is BS too, ... I just want to tell you that
discredit people like you do is not nice. I saw the race and as many others saw what dela Rosa did out there, and that was FANTASCTIC, that was RACING!!! =) :D :D 8)

-----
Note(for those who can understand it...): Natasha and i use the same comp... she signed in and did not sign out... so i came... ;)

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:18 am

Some relevant posts here, guys, most of which I agree with. One factor for Imola COULD, note Could, be is that Webber set the fastest time of the weekend, and was then rev restricted for the race. The BMW was "operating at the limits of its heat parameters", in other words it would have blown at full revs. This is possibly because of the air filters BMW ran, due to the Bahrain conditions. I am hopeful that at least two or three teams can be right up with Renault at Immola. Alonso is, in my opinion, something special, but, as Graham said, the last thing F1 needs is another team dominating for a season. Regardless of who we support as individuals, it would be very beneficial to the sport if we had 2 or 3 drivers vying for the Championship, with two race to go. So lets hope that Toyota, Mclaren, Williams et al make the little jump needed :lol:
And Massa is bloody good,! which isn't helping JV :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:30 am

Interesting posts K-D and JayVee, keep it and good to see different points of view :wink:

But K-D how can you be sure and 100% convinced that Ferrari can get reliable in 3 weeks yet you claim that BAR is a mess and they will have an extremely poor 2005 ?

Ferrari last year at this stage had 51 points, now 10
BAR last year at this stage had 19 points, now 0

To me both are in a mess albiet in different ways

Interesting to read this morning that Schumacher is convinced he will win some races in the F2005 this season. Notice some

Also Todt said that Barrichello had two different gearbox problems in practice and Qualifying. His problems at the end of the race though were bad tyres. Michael's problem was a faulty hydraulic pump (and it isn't a new component on the F2005!) - must be the heat :wink:

Julian, yes Massa is good, he passed a Ferrari with his Ferrari powered Sauber :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Glad that it wasn't JV otherwise JayVee would have bombarded us with posts :D

When is Imola again :cry:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:59 am

Yes, he would have, and it would have been enjoyable reading :lol: Imola is telecast, I think from memory, about 12:15 am our time. Good old channel 10 :cry: They won't let Boof, the hound, into the land of castles. :( . Jenson has a clause in his contract which frees him at the end of the season, if they are not within a certain % of the leaders points by, I think Sept., BAR had best get busy, or there is going to be a scramble at Williams, which is why Nick is giving 10 tenths all the time. Mind you he or Mark could be driving a BMW Saauber next year! If that is the case, it would seem logical that BMW would want Nick, To identify with the European market :D
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.