Bahrain Grand Prix Thread (Alonso Wins!)

Discuss all the aspects of the Formula 1 sport here

Moderators: cmlean, Ed, The Qualiflyer, The Heretic

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Bahrain Grand Prix Thread (Alonso Wins!)

Post by Ed » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 pm

This is the place to discuss everything related to the third round of the 2005 season taking place in Bahrain between the 1st and the 3rd of April.

The Bahrain Grand Prix Preview is now available here.
The main Bahrain Grand Prix Page is now available here.

Update: On the 30th of March McLaren announced that Pedro de la Rosa will replace Juan Pablo Montoya at this event due to Montoya's shoulder injury. Montoya is expected to fully recover in time for San Marino ... more

To submit your 8 'n' Pole Picks for Bahrain click here, to register in the competition click here (it is never too late to enter as the winner of each round wins a prize in addition to the overall prizes)

Team Preview page is here (updated as they become available)

Williams, McLaren, BAR, Renault, Toyota, Red Bull, Sauber, Jordan, Ferrari

Michelin, Bridgestone

Team and Driver Quotes - Friday, Saturday, Sunday

FIA Press Conferences:
Thursday - Part 1 with Alonso and Briatore, Part 2 with Trulli and Howett
Friday - With Engine Suppliers - Binotto (Ferrari), Chevrier (Renault), Illien (Mercedes), Szafnauer (Honda) and Tyre Manufacturers - Dupasquier (Michelin), Yasukawa (Bridgestone)
Saturday Post Qualifying with Alonso, Trulli and M Schumacher
Sunday Post Qualifying
Sunday Post Race
Last edited by Ed on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:12 am, edited 31 times in total.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:51 pm

The event timetable for the Bahrain Grand Prix

1st Friday Practice 11:00 local time - 08:00 GMT
2nd Friday Practice 14:00 local time - 11:00 GMT

1st Saturday Practice 09:00 local time - 06:00 GMT
2nd Saturday Practice 10:15 local time - 07:15 GMT
Saturday Qualifying 13:00 local time - 10:00 GMT

Sunday Qualifying 10:30 local time - 07:30 GMT
Race 14:30 local time - 11:30 GMT

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:55 pm

The latest weather forecast for the Bahrain Grand Prix (last updated 2 April)

Friday
1st Practice - 11:00 AM - 30 Sunny
2nd Practice - 2:00 PM - 33 Sunny

Saturday
1st Practice - 9:00 AM - 28 Sunny
2nd Practice - 10:15 AM - 30 Sunny
1st Qualifying - 1:00 PM - 34 Sunny

Sunday
2nd Qualifying - 10:30 AM - 30 Sunny
Race - 2:30 PM - 34 Sunny
Last edited by Ed on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:49 am, edited 7 times in total.

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:31 pm

Bad News for McLaren, JPM could miss the Bahrain Grand Prix after he injured his shoulder while playing tennis... :cry: Let's hope he'll ok soon and will be able to race!! :soon:

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:37 pm

I am sure he'll be OK. He doesn't need this now and Montoya being Montoya he'll race even with a cast on :shock: :shock:

Graham won't be happy :(
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:49 pm

JayVee wrote:Montoya being Montoya he'll race even with a cast on :shock: :shock:
Good said!! :D :D :twisted: :P

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Getting ready for the second trip to F1 in Bahrain, and with the two races in Australia and Malaysia behind us, some trends are starting to show, even though I still caution all to completely give up on Ferrari.

Tires ? Obviously Michelin have managed to produce tires that are much much better than Bridgestone, I am sure that Bridgestone is hard at work clawing back at that, but we should not think that Michelin rests on their laurels, just because they were strong in the first two races. Regardless of the merits of the F2005 Bridgestone will not manage to get the upper hand on Michelin the rest of the 2005 season.

Teams ? Renault have clearly gone ahead this season, they have full and complete package in Fernando Alonso, Giancarlo Fisichella, Michelin tires and a sound, strong well-designed car.

McLaren have struggled and even though some blame can be put on the drivers, the cars does not seem to quite be there. Kimi Raikkonen have clearly been the better of the drivers, and for Bahrain seem that he will most likely have Pedro de la Rosa instead of Juan Pablo Montoya as a team-mate.

Ferrari have massively underestimated what it would take to stay competitive with an updated car, and are reeling behind partly due to their exclusive arrangement with Bridgestone, but also because the F2004M is just not strong enough.

Red Bull ? Is the surprise to many, but not really to me they will not quite maintain the standing they currently have in the WCC, however they could possibly finish 5th at the end of the season.

Williams ? Seem to be lining up for yet another ho-hum season, they have basically not had anything but that for the past 7 seasons, and have to be very careful not to fall away from the front end of the grid. Mark Webber MUST perform this season, and with the pressure that Nick Heidfeld has arguably put on him, the lustre is to some extent disappearing.

Most cars will be on fresh engines, and as the season pass along the issue of used engines will become less and less an issue. The engines are strong and plenty strong to run two full weekends.

On performance so far, Fernando Alonso, Giancarlo Fisichella will line up as the favourites to win on Sunday. Ferrari will field the F2005, and that should mean for both Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barichello, that they will qualify and finish higher up the grid. In order to really challenge for the WDC this season, Michael Schumacher must really win or at a minimum be in front of Alonso, it will be interesting to see how strong the F2005 really is.

Kimi Raikkonen have not had the results to show for his strong performance on the McLaren, however I expect that he will be fighting for the win as well.

Result of the Bahrain Grand Prix:

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Giancarlo Fisichella
5. Rubens Barichello
6. Juan Pablo Montoya / Pedro de la Rosa
7. Nick Heidfeld
8. Mark Webber

You heard it here first...

8)
K-D

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:37 am

K-D wrote:You heard it here first...
In fact the only thing in your post that I heard first was the inconceivable asumption that MS will win in the first race of the F2005....(:bs:). I don't know how is its race pace but!:
1.If Ferrari wanted to bring it later is because it's not ready, they bring it because are desperate behind RedBull... the new car could put them ahead RB...(I don't think that will happen in its first race)
2.From test times one can't wait for a good Qualif. result from the F2005, so beginning from P9 .... (already behind RB1)

------------
Both F2005 will be behind of at least 1 of the RB1 !!! and You heard it here (maybe not here, but from me anyway) first!!! :P :D :bounce: :bouncec: :smokin: :crush:

---

what about Toyota, neither they surprised you? :lol: :lol:

--
As i posted somewhere else....

Winner : Kimi
Second : Alonso
Third : JPM ??
Fourth : Fisichella
Fifth : Webber
Sixth : Ralfy :shock:
Seventh : Coulthard :twisted:
Eighth : Rubens :P

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:56 am

Read up on F1 history, several teams have won on their debut with a car. So that would really not be anything special. So "inconcievable" is a big word, and as I have previously posted as long as Michael Schumacher is actively drving in f1, I will guess him as the winner of the race.

Red Bull is doing very good, but once more facts is one thing, emotions another. There will be several races this season that red Bull scores zero points, eventhough they complete the race. And at most races both Ferrari cars will finish in front of the Red Bull cars.

Until proven otherwise I consider Toyota's performance in Malaysia a fluke, and the rain afflicted qualifying in Australia mean that can not be used for anything meaningfull.

Most likely neither of us will be correct in our guesses.

8)
K-D

sgd
Racer
Racer

Post by sgd » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:37 am

K-D wrote:Read up on F1 history...

Red Bull is doing very good, but once more facts is one thing, emotions another. ... And at most races both Ferrari cars will finish in front of the Red Bull cars.

Until proven otherwise I consider Toyota's performance...

Most likely neither of us will be correct in our guesses.
about winning in the debut, of course! see the deut of the R25!!! :lol: :D :D

You say "at most races" that's a biginning :wink:

Toyota... I thing they are real... time will tell...

"Most likely neither of us will be correct in our guesses".... i can just agree both of us put a lot of emotions in our top8... ;)

for me it's ok more emotion i put on it before the race, more I receive on sunday (emotions..;))

Bahrain is looking good!!!! (=

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:42 am

JayVee wrote:Graham won't be happy :(
I sure won't but I reckon he'll race.

Now tennis will be added to his contract as a banned sport :shock: :shock:

Graham Ross
Racer
Racer

Post by Graham Ross » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:43 am

Good post K-D apart from the blind faith in Michael :wink: and the lack of it for Toyota.

Nothing in F1 is a fluke, they were fast and that is a fact. It is true their chassis may suite Malaysia but according to the experts, Melbourne is the odd circuit.

Also BAR will bounce back. I know your view on David Richards but do you really think Honda will accept being beaten by Toyota :wink:

My take on Bahrain:

A close race between Renault and McLaren with Williams, Toyota and BAR fighting behind. Ferrari could be with them but depends on how good the Bridgestones are then Red Bull, Sauber, Jordan and Minardi

JayVee
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by JayVee » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:56 pm

K-D, your take on the race and the predicted results don't match

You didn't copy the results from a previous prediction did you :shock:

You say Ferrari would qualify higher up the grid based on the new car but they have said the Bridgestones are no good for a single lap when cold.

In Malaysia Michael was nearly 0.3 seconds behind Coulthard in Q1. The new 'premature' car won't be more than 0.3 seconds faster than the old car so I can't see them qualifying better.
In the race they may finish higher as the new car may be better on tyres but Michael can only win if the 10 cars ahead all fail. And that is almost impossible (just to give you a bit of hope :wink: )
I'm back and yes supporting Alonso "The Cute" in the Ferrari!

Bundy
Racer
Racer

Post by Bundy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Williams ? Seem to be lining up for yet another ho-hum season, they have basically not had anything but that for the past 7 seasons, and have to be very careful not to fall away from the front end of the grid. Mark Webber MUST perform this season, and with the pressure that Nick Heidfeld has arguably put on him, the lustre is to some extent disappearing.
I agree with most of what you have said however;

Nick Heidfeld hasn't qualified within coo-ee of Webber and his crash with Fisichella aside hasn't looked like finishing in front of him. However Nick is a much more accomplished driver than any co-driver Webber has had and should provide MW with extra motivation to succeed this year BUT like you i remain unconvinced by Williams.

K-D
Racer
Racer

Post by K-D » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:59 pm

JayVee wrote:K-D, your take on the race and the predicted results don't match - How not??

You didn't copy the results from a previous prediction did you :shock: - No I never do that.

You say Ferrari would qualify higher up the grid based on the new car but they have said the Bridgestones are no good for a single lap when cold. - No matter

In Malaysia Michael was nearly 0.3 seconds behind Coulthard in Q1. The new 'premature' car won't be more than 0.3 seconds faster than the old car so I can't see them qualifying better. - I disagree.
In the race they may finish higher as the new car may be better on tyres but Michael can only win if the 10 cars ahead all fail. And that is almost impossible (just to give you a bit of hope :wink: ) - Michael Schumacher have won from 18th on the grid, so he does not need 10 cars to break down. You think yours, I think mine. Come Monday we know who was most correct.
8)
K-D