Richard Burns (1971 - 2005)

Discuss all the other types of Motorsport

Moderator: Ed

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Richard Burns (1971 - 2005)

Post by Ed » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:38 pm

2001 World Rally Champion Richard Burns has died at the young age of 34 after a long battle with astrocytoma (a form of brain tumour).

Richard Burns made his debut at the World Rallying stage in 1998, he finished runner-up in 1999 and 2000 before winning the Championship in 2001 becoming the 1st Englishman to win the World Rally Championship.

He switched teams in 2002 (from Subaru to Peugeot) and only managed 5th overall. In 2003 he made a good start and was leading the Championship midway through the season. He lost the lead with 2 events to go and withdrew from the last event of the year after passing out at the wheel of his road car on his way to the Wales Rally. He finished the season in 4th place.

Former World Rally Champion Colin McRae said
Richard was a friend and at the same time a very fierce rival. We had many great battles, notably the 2001 Rally GB when he took the title
I saw him a number of times during the past two years and the greatest battle he has put up was against his illness.
He was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed as a competitor and a friend
To send a personal message/memorial click here

Richard Burns Official Web Site

Richard Burns R.I.P.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Re: Richard Burns (1971 - 2005)

Post by mlittle » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:23 am

Ed wrote:2001 World Rally Champion Richard Burns has died at the young age of 34 after a long battle with astrocytoma (a form of brain tumour).

Richard Burns made his debut at the World Rallying stage in 1998, he finished runner-up in 1999 and 2000 before winning the Championship in 2001 becoming the 1st Englishman to win the World Rally Championship.

He switched teams in 2002 (from Subaru to Peugeot) and only managed 5th overall. In 2003 he made a good start and was leading the Championship midway through the season. He lost the lead with 2 events to go and withdrew from the last event of the year after passing out at the wheel of his road car on his way to the Wales Rally. He finished the season in 4th place.

Former World Rally Champion Colin McRae said
Richard was a friend and at the same time a very fierce rival. We had many great battles, notably the 2001 Rally GB when he took the title
I saw him a number of times during the past two years and the greatest battle he has put up was against his illness.
He was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed as a competitor and a friend
To send a personal message/memorial click here

Richard Burns Official Web Site

Richard Burns R.I.P.
It's been a sad year, in a sense, for the WRC in 2005. First was Michael Park's death at the Wales Rally GB, and now a class act and champion passes away. He will be missed. :cry:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock: