2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Discuss all the other types of Motorsport

Moderator: Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Post by mlittle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 am

Among the pantheon of motorsports events across the world, several take center stage..............
---Formula 1 and the Grand Prix of Monaco
---NASCAR's Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600 & Brickyard 400
---the Indianapolis 500

In the world of endurance racing, several share the stage..............
---Twelve Hours of Sebring
---24 Hours of the Nurburgring
---24 Hours of LeMans
---the Bathurst 1000
---the 10-hr/1000-mile Petit Le Mans

There is one event amongst them that opens the international motorsports calendar..........

Set on the grounds of the World Center of Racing, the Daytona International Speedway hosts the twice-around-the-clock event which takes place in late January amidst the winter air of central Florida. Follow along as we cover on the biggest events of the motorsports calendar...........

:burnout: :drive: :burnout:
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Brief History of the Rolex 24
In 1962, a few years after the track was built, a 3-hour sports car race was introduced. Known as the Daytona Continental, it counted towards the FIA's new International Championship for GT Manufacturers. The first Continental was won by Dan Gurney, driving a 2.7L Coventry-Climax powered Lotus 19. Gurney was a factory Porsche driver at the time, but the 1600-ccPorsche 718 was considered too small and slow for what amounted to a sprint race on a very fast course.

In 1964, the event was expanded to 2000 km (1220 miles), doubling the classic 1000 km distance of races at Nürburgring, Spa and Monza. The distance amounted to roughly the half of the distance the 24 Hours of Le Mans winners covered at the time and was similar in length to the Sebring 12 hour race, which was also held in Florida a few weeks later in the year. Starting in 1966, the Daytona race was extended to the same 24 hour length as Le Mans.
.....what makes the Rolex 24 different from LeMans are two things: (1)the track environs and (2)the time of year the race is held
(1)unlike LeMans, which is held mainly on public roads, the Rolex 24 is held entirely on a closed-course circuit utilizing the high banks of the Daytona International Speedway along with a fast, sweeping infield section
(2)the Rolex 24 is held during the height of winter when over half the race is run at night whereas LeMans is the reverse, when most of the race is run during the day
In the past, a car had to cross the finish line after 24 hours to be classified, which led to dramatic scenes where damaged cars waited in the pits or on the edge of the track close to the finish line for hours, then restarted their engines and crawled across the finish line one last time in order to finish after the 24 hours and be listed with a finishing distance, rather than dismissed with DNF (Did Not Finish). This was the case in the initial 1962 Daytona Continental (then 3 hours), in which Dan Gurney's Lotus had established a lengthy lead when the engine failed with just minutes remaining. Gurney stopped the car at the top of the banking, just short of the finish line. When the three hours had elapsed, Gurney simply cranked the steering wheel to the left (toward the bottom of the banking) and let gravity pull the car across the line, to not only salvage a finishing position, but actually win the race. This led to the international rule requiring a car to cross the line under its own power in order to be classified. Ironically, Gurney himself fell afoul of the new rule at the Sebring 12 Hours in 1966, when the engine in his race-leading Ford GT40 failed with two minutes remaining. Gurney, in his frustration, attempted to push his car across the line, leading to his disqualification.

After having lost in 1966 both at Daytona and at Le Mans to the Fords, the Ferrari P series prototypes staged a triumphant 1-2-3 side-by-side parade finish at the banked finish line in 1967. The Ferrari 365 GTB/4 road car was given the unofficial name Ferrari Daytona in celebration of this victory.

Porsche repeated this show in their 1-2-3 win in the 1968 24 Hours. After the car of Gerhard Mitter had a big crash caused by tyre failure in the banking, his teammate Rolf Stommelen supported the car of Vic Elford/Jochen Neerpasch. When the car of the longtime leaders Jo Siffert/Hans Herrmann dropped to second due to a technical problem, these two also joined the new leaders while continuing with their car. So Porsche managed to put 5 of 8 drivers on the center of the podium, plus Jo Schlesser/Joe Buzzetta finishing in 3rd place, with only Mitter being left out.

In 1972, due to the energy crisis, the race was shortened to 6 hours, while for 1974 the race was cancelled altogether. By 1982, following near-continuous inclusion on the World Sportscar Championship, the race was finally dropped as the series attempted to cut costs by both keeping teams in Europe and running shorter races. The race continued on as part of the IMSA GT series.

The regular teams were expanded to 3 drivers in the 1970s. Nowadays, often four or five drivers compete, with occasional "taxi" rides for less lucky team mates adding to the total. The winning entry in 1997 featured as many as seven drivers taking a turn in the cockpit.
.............continued in the next post

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Rolex 24 Statistics

----Wins By Manufacturers
* 22 wins: Porsche '68, '70, '71, '73, '75, '77-'87, '89, '91, '95, '03, '09, '10
* 5 wins: Ferrari '63, '64, '67, '72, '98,
* 4 wins: Ford '65, '66, '97, '99
* 3 wins: Lexus '06, '07, '08
* 2 wins: Chevrolet '69, '01, Jaguar '88, '90, Nissan '92, '94, Pontiac '04, '05,
* 1 win: Lotus '62, BMW '75, Toyota '93, Oldsmobile '96, Dodge '00, Dallara-Judd '02
----Driver Overall Wins(3 or more wins)
* 5 wins: Hurley Haywood '73, '75, '77, '79, '91
* 4 wins: Pedro Rodriguez '63, '64, '70, '71; Bob Wollek '83, '85, '89, '91; Peter Gregg '73, '75, '76, '78; Rolf Stommelen '68, '78, '80, '82
* 3 wins: Andy Wallace '90, '97, '99; Butch Leitzinger '94, '97, '99; Derek Bell '86, '87, '89; Scott Pruett '94, '07, '08
* other notable winners(2-wins): Mauro Baldi, Terry Borcheller, Elliott Forbes-Robinson, A.J. Foyt, Al Holbert, Juan Pablo Montoya, Wayne Taylor, Al Unser, Jr.
* other notable winners(1 win): Chris Amon, Mario Andretti, Forest Barber, Jorg Bergmeister, Martin Brundle, Ryan Dalziel, David Donohue, Mark Donohue, Vic Elford, Ron Fellows, Dario Franchitti, Paul Gentilozzi, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Jacky Ickx, Arie Luyendyk, Sr., Johnny O'Connell, Jackie Oliver, Andy Pilgrim, Bobby Rahal, Buddy Rice, Mike Rockenfeller, Scott Sharp, Jo Siffert, Al Unser, Sr., James Weaver, Karl Wendlinger, Dan Wheldon

Sanctioning Bodies
1962-1973 & 1975-1981: World Sportscar Championship
1975-1997: International Motor Sports Association
1998-1999: United States Road Racing Championship
2000-Present: Grand American Road Racing Association

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

F1 Veteran To Lanuch Ferrari Assault on Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Aten Motorsports will compete in the Rolex 24 At Daytona with a Ferrari 430 prepared by racing legend Tony Dowe

CUMMING, Ga. - Veteran motorsports boss Tony Dowe is set to launch a Ferrari 430 GT assault on next year's Rolex 24 at Daytona - aiming to take the Ferrari marque back to victory lane in GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 competition for the first time in nearly a decade.

The man who led the TWR Jaguar squad to overall victory in the 24-hour classic in 1988 and 1990 and a pair of class triumphs in 1992 and 1993, Dowe has assembled a top-line international driver line up for the January race for his Aten Motorsports squad featuring German Dominik Farnbacher, Brit Rob Bell and Danish driver Allan Simonsen.

All three have achieved great success aboard the Ferrari 430 in the past and the trio have a successful driving history together as teammates. Farnbacher finished second with Dirk Müller in the GT class of the 2008 American Le Mans Series for Tafel Racing - a team run by Dowe. The 26-year-old also has been driving a Ferrari alongside Simonsen for the past two seasons in the European-based Le Mans Series. Their results have included a second place in GT at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and victory in the Asian Le Mans Series last year.

Farnbacher also contested Sebring and Petit Le Mans with Scott Sharp's Extreme Speed Motorsports aboard a 430 last season. "It is great to be working with Tony again and I am really looking forward to the Rolex 24," Farnbacher said. "Tony was the guy who initially brought me over to the US for racing and gave me an opportunity. When he offered me this drive for Daytona I jumped at the chance because he has a fantastic track record in putting together very fast cars and the chance to drive again with Rob and Allan was fantastic."

Both Simonsen (32) and Bell (31) also contested endurance races for the Dowe-led Tafel team. In 2008 the duo also drove together in the Le Mans Series in 2007 - Bell taking the series crown. Only a clashing V8 Supercar race in Australia prevented Simonsen from having him share the championship with his teammate. Bell took his second LMS GT crown in 2008.

Simonsen also regularly competes in the British GT Championship aboard a 430 GT - winning the final round of this year's championship at Donington Park. "I've had great success at Daytona in the past and I am really looking forward to going back next January with the Ferrari 430," Dowe said. "I always used to think you had to crazy to enjoy 24-hour races but as I have got older I have actually started to enjoy them. However, you really don't want to go and do these races unless you have a serious shot at winning and I think with our driver line-up we have an outstanding opportunity.

"Dominik, Rob and Allan have a lot of experience, speed and success in the Ferrari 430 GT and we will be looking forward to take advantage of that," Dowe added. "The best driver driver line-up I ever had at Daytona was David Brabham, Scott Pruett, Davy Jones and Scott Goodyear in 1992 when we won the GTP class. These guys I have now are very similar. They are young, hungry and very smart drivers who are extremely keen to win. They know what is expected and they do what is necessary. The confidence those guys have really spreads through the whole team. I'm very keen to take the Ferrari back to victory lane in Rolex Series competition. The fight out there in the GT class is very competitive but we are very fortunate to have an outstanding group of people backing this effort who have great confidence in the team and the drivers. We are looking forward to repaying that faith they have put in us."

The Ferrari 430 GT has never won in Rolex Series competition - a fact Dowe, Farnbacher, Bell and Simonsen are looking to erase in January at Daytona. The last Rolex Series victories for the Prancing Horse marque were in 2002 when the Ferrari of Washington-entered Ferrari 360 GT won five races en route to the series championship.

Ferrari however does have a strong winning heritage at Daytona. Pedro Rodríguez won a three-hour sportscar event at Daytona in 1963 and teamed up with Phil Hill to win a 2000-mile enduro the following year. Ferrari's first 24 Hour victory came in 1967 with Lorenzo Bandini and Chris Amon while legends Marino Andretti and Jacky Ickx won a six-hour event in 1972.

Ferrari's last overall win came in 1998 with Mauro Baldi, Arie Luyendyk, Gianpiero Moretti and Didier Theys winning aboard a 333SP. At the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the Aten Motorsports squad will face stiff opposition - doing battle against the 2010 championship-winning Mazda RX8s and additional entries from Porsche, BMW, the Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette plus a new Lamborghini.

Dowe's distinguished career began in the UK, working as a mechanic in Formula 1 for the Ensign, Brabham and Wolf teams before heading to the US in 1980 as chief mechanic for Patrick Tambay's championship winning CanAM car entered by Carl Haas. After working for Jim Hall's Chaparral outfit in Indycars, Dowe was appointed as team manager for the newly formed Newman-Haas Indycar outfit in 1982 - eventually winning the title in 1984.

He was charged with establishing the Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar US-base in late 1987 and began a remarkable run of success including three Daytona victories, 16 IMSA GTP wins and success at the 1990 24 Hours of Le Mans running the car of Martin Brundle, John Nielsen and Price Cobb.

Further stints followed in Formula 1 with the TWR group at Ligier and Arrows before returning stateside to run successful programs for Panoz, d#$% Barbour and Tafel Racing - all based in Atlanta. He also took a class victory at Daytona in 2003 running the Team Seattle SRP2 cars to first and second in class.

The new Aten Motorsports No. 00 Ferrari 430 GT will hit the track for the first time prior to Thanksgiving in Sebring before final preparations commence for the Roar Before the Rolex 24 test days from Jan. 7-9 at Daytona International Speedway. Dowe has pulled people from many of the past successful programs to form the core of the Aten Motorsports team for Daytona. Partners and sponsors for the campaign will be announced closer to the event.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Flying Lizard To Compete in 2011 Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am

---SONOMA, Calif. - Flying Lizard Motorsports announced today it plans to file an entry for the team's fourth Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 29-30 in Daytona Beach, Fla.

For the first time, the team will run a Porsche-powered Riley Daytona Prototype. The Flying Lizard No. 45 DP is powered by a Porsche Motorsport- prepared, 911-based flat-6 engine. The chassis, previously run by Brumos Racing, won the race overall in 2009. Flying Lizard is working closely with Riley Technologies and the Action Express Racing team to prepare the car and wishes to thank Jim France for his support of this effort.

The team will run the car at the official GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 test at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Dec. 1-2. The driver lineup will be announced later this year.

The team's history at Daytona International Speedway has been bittersweet, with many close finishes. In 2004, the No. 74 Flying Lizard Porsche GT3 was second in GT and third overall, in 2005 the No. 75 Porsche finished 13th, and in 2009 (with TRG), the No. 67 Porsche finished second in GT.

"The Daytona 24 is such a great race," said Flying Lizard team principal Seth Neiman. "We've always enjoyed competing here and are looking forward to the new experience of running a DP. I really want to thank Porsche Motorsport for their engine support and Bill Riley for his help as we come up the learning curve in this class. One of our main areas of focus this year is the significant endurance races and this is a great place to start."

Flying Lizard Motorsports has competed in the American Le Mans Series GT class since 2004. The team has finished in the top three in the ALMS GT2 drivers' and team championships every year since 2004. In 2010, Flying Lizard No. 45 drivers Jorg Bergmeister and Patrick Long won a hard-fought battle for the GT drivers' championship. In 2009 and 2008, the team swept all ALMS GT2 titles: drivers' championship (Bergmeister and Long in 09, Bergmeister and Wolf Henzler in 08); Flying Lizard won the team championship; and Porsche won the manufacturer championship. In 2009, the Flying Lizard No. 44 Porsche also won the Green X Challenge championship. Flying Lizard has also competed in the 24 Heures du Mans from 2005 through 2010, finishing third in 2005, fourth in 2006, and sixth in 2008.

Flying Lizard 2010 sponsors are ShoreTel, a leading provider of enterprise IP telephony solutions; Openwave Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: OPWV), a global software innovator delivering context-aware mediation and messaging solutions that enable communication service providers to create and deliver smarter services; eSilicon, a semiconductor company; and Double Clutch Coffee, a premium coffee company dedicated to motorsport enthusiasts. Visit the team website at www.lizardms.com.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

NASCAR Champ Johnson To Compete in 2011 Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:14 am

----DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Only two days from hoisting the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship on the championship stage at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the fifth consecutive year, Jimmie Johnson is already talking about racing in the Rolex 24 At Daytona in January.

Johnson said on a NASCAR teleconference that he will be joining GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing for the fourth consecutive year, sharing the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet/Riley with two-time Daytona Prototype champions Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty in the 49th running of the endurance classic on Jan. 29-30. Jimmy Vasser completed the driver lineup the past three seasons.

"Really, I just want to be home and enjoy the holidays with my daughter," said Johnson, who locked up the NASCAR title by finishing second in Sunday's Ford 400. "I just want to be home and enjoy what we've accomplished. It's going to go by quick. I'm going to compete in the Rolex 24, running with the GAINSCO guys again, so that's going to eat into my down time as well."

Johnson finished second overall in his first Rolex 24 in the Red Dragon in 2008. He finished seventh in 2009, and 21st overall and eighth in Daytona Prototype in January. Johnson also ran with GAINSCO at Watkins Glen International in June, finishing sixth in the Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen.

"I think like the rest of the motorsports world, we're all in awe of Jimmie, not only for his relentless on track accomplishments but also because he manages to stay so grounded off the track as well," Gurney said. "We're very lucky to have him at our GAINSCO team and hopefully we can make a little more history with him come the end of January."

Johnson has six career starts in America's premier sports car race dating back to 2004, and finished second overall with Howard Boss Motorsports in 2005.

"I am not shocked at all that Jimmie and the 48 team won another title," said Fogarty, who has 13 career DP victories co-driving with Gurney. "We have seen first hand at GAINSCO Jimmie's incredible dedication to his profession and obvious talent behind the wheel of anything he is driving. He is good when he is leading, he is good when he is not and he is at his best when it really matters. I am really looking forward to racing with him again at next year's Rolex 24."

Stallings looks forward to once again working with the NASCAR champion. "We view Jimmie as a member of our team and we look forward to winning the Rolex 24 At Daytona together," Stallings said. "Jimmie is a terrific race car driver and has been a quick study driving The Red Dragon. He is very focused and highly competitive in every way imaginable and shares our strong desire to win the Rolex 24."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 am

2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona Event Schedule

Wednesday, 26 Jan. 2011
--1pm: Rolex Series DP Group Photos
--4pm: Rolex Series GT Group Photos

Thursday, 27 Jan. 2011
--(10am)Opening Ceremonies, Daytona Speedweeks
--(10-11:30am)Rolex 24 Practice Session #1
--(1:30-2:30pm)Rolex 24 Practice Session #2
--(3:45pm-4:15pm)Rolex 24 Qualifying Session
--(6:30-8:30pm)Rolex 24 Night Practice

Friday, 28 Jan. 2011
--(9-9:45am)Rolex 24 Practice Session #3
--(11am-12pm)Rolex 24 Final Practice
--(12:15-1:15pm)Grand-Am On-Track Activities

Saturday, 29 Jan. 2011
--(9:30-10:45am)Grand-Am On-Track Activities
--(11am)Rolex 24 Heritage Discussion
--(11:30am)Rolex 24 Driver's Meeting
--(12:!5pm)Rolex 24 Autograph Session
--(2:15pm)Rolex 24 Driver Introductions
--(2:15pm)Rolex 24 Warm-Up/Gridwalk
--(3pm)Rolex 24 Pre-Race Festivities Begin
--(3:30pm)Start of 49th Rolex 24 at Daytona

Sunday, 29 Jan. 2011
--(3:30pm)Finish of 49th Rolex 24 at Daytona

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Paul Miller Racing Files Entry For 2011 Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Paul Miller Racing will make its GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 debut in the Rolex 24 At Daytona. The Parsippany, New Jersey-headquartered team owned by veteran racer Paul Miller entered the No. 48 Marquis Jet Porsche GT3 for Bryce Miller and Bryan Sellers. The team's shop is in Buford, Ga. Paul Miller Racing recently tested at Homestead-Miami Speedway in preparation for the Jan. 29-30 running of America's premier endurance race.

Bryce Miller, a 28-year-old resident of Summit, N.J., finished third in the Rolex Series GT championship in his rookie season, 2007. He won at Virginia International Raceway among 10 podium finishes in 13 races. He and Dirk Werner drove in different cars in the season-opening Rolex 24, with the two sharing the same Farnbacher Loles Porsche for the remainder of the season - with Werner capturing the championship.

Miller then finished second in GT in the 2008 Rolex 24, driving for TRG, and placed fifth in the GT championship. It was his best finish in four appearances in the Rolex 24, finishing 21st in 2009 and 18th in January.

"I think we have a far better chance this time around, because our experience level is up and we are familiar with the new tires," said Miller, who hopes to run in additional Rolex Series races in 2011. "I think we should have a pretty good chance. Bryan brings a lot of speed and experience to the team, and we are happy to have him on board."

Sellers, a 28-year-old native of Centerville, Ohio has a best finish of third in 2008 with TRG among three Rolex Series starts. He captured the GT pole at Homestead-Miami Speedway in his Rolex Series debut in 2005. The team will name a third driver in the near future.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Entry List, 49th Rolex 24 at Daytona

DAYTONA PROTOTYPE CLASS
#5 Action Express Porsche/Riley---David Donohue, Darren Law, Buddy Rice
#9 Action Express Porsche/Riley---Joao Barbosa, Terry Borcheller, J.C. France
#10 SunTrust Racing Chevrolet/Dallara---Max Angelelli, Ryan Briscoe, Ricky Taylor, Wayne Taylor
#23 United Autosports/MSR Ford/Riley---Zak Brown, Mark Patterson, Martin Brundle, Mark Blundell
#45 Flying Lizard Porsche/Riley---Seth Neiman, Johannes van Overbeek
#76 Krohn Racing Ford/Lola---Tracy Krohn, Nic Jonsson, Nicolas Minassian, Ricardo Zonta
#99 Gainsco/Bob Stallings Chevrolet/Riley---Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty, Jimmie Johnson

GRAND TOURING CLASS
#17 Burtin Racing Porsche 911 GT3---Jack Baldwin, Claudio Burtin, Martin Raggener, Stefan Wendt
#44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3---John Potter, Craig Stanton
#48 Paul Miller Racing Porsche 911 GT3---Bryce Miller, Bryan Sellers
#53 Magnus/Nadeau Racing Porsche 911 GT3---drivers tba
#57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GT-R---Ronnie Bremer, Robin Liddell, Jan Magnussen
#69 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8---Emil Assentato, Jeff Segal
#70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8---Jonathan Bomarito, Sylvain Tremblay
Last edited by mlittle on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

DragonSpeed Announces Rolex 24 Plans

Post by mlittle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:12 am

8 December 2010 -- For one day in November, the DragonSpeed race shop in downtown Santa Monica, California, was home to both Porsche 997 GT3 and Ferrari F430 Challenge racers. The next day, the Porsche was sold and the Ferrari took center stage in the team's plans to contest the 2011 Pirelli Drivers Cup. But it wasn't long before DragonSpeed decided to run its new mount in the Rolex 24 at Daytona endurance race before turning its attention to the west coast series for the rest of the season.

For the 49th running of the Florida classic -- America's counterpart to the famed Le Mans 24 Hours -- DragonSpeed team principal Elton Julian has assembled an outstanding crew from members of Green Earth Team Gunnar's race-winning 2010 LMPC campaign. Veteran race engineer Mark Schomann is supported by crew chief Adam Wareing, data analyst Eddie Huerta, and mechanic Paul Frederick. The F430 will be converted to full Grand-Am GT specification for the Roar Before the 24 official test days on 7-9 January, with Jaime Trimble of Brembo specialists Race Technologies among a host of suppliers assisting the project's progress.

Drivers confirmed in the Ferrari for the test include Cort Wagner, Dr Fred Poordad, and Nick Jones. Former Grand-Am and ALMS GT champion Wagner will anchor the DragonSpeed driving squad in his tenth Rolex 24 start. Poordad, Chief of Hepatology at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, is aiming for his first Daytona start after a DNS last January, while Jones is back with DragonSpeed after impressing in a limited Patr0x00f3n GT3 Challenge program in 2010.

Two more seats remain open at DragonSpeed for the Daytona test days and race, with the team's final driver and sponsor lineup to be announced immediately following the Roar Before the 24. DragonSpeed partner and Pirelli Cup pilot Pete Aronson will test the F430 at Palm Beach International Raceway before the team heads back to Daytona for the race on 27-30 January.

"All of us at DragonSpeed are proud to be taking on the challenge of Daytona to kick off our fourth year as a team," said Julian. "The F430 is a great car for the Rolex 24 with the right strategy, and with Mark Schomann calling the shots for us, I have a lot of confidence in our approach to the race. On a personal note, I'm thrilled to be going back to Daytona, where I made my sportscar racing debut in 1995, also with a Ferrari as it happens. We finished second in class back then with a 333SP prototype, and if we get anywhere near that result in GT this time, I'll be over the moon."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

United Autosports & MSR Join Forces For Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 am

American-based United Autosports, a fixture on the FIA GT3 circuit, will partner with long-time Rolex competitor Michael Shank Racing to run a DP entry for this year's Rolex 24........

COLUMBUS, Ohio - United Autosports gets its second year of racing underway in truly spectacular style by contesting the legendary Rolex 24 At Daytona with a stellar driver line-up next month on Jan. 29-30 at Daytona International Speedway. 1988 Rolex 24 winner Martin Brundle of England has been drawn back to the ultra-demanding Floridian race along with fellow former 24 Hours of Le Mans race winner and Grand Prix Formula One ace Mark Blundell of England, who makes his Daytona début.

Zak Brown, Chairman & Co-Owner of United Autosports, and fellow American Mark Patterson complete the United Autosports with Michael Shank Racing entry, which bids for success with a Ford/Riley Daytona Prototype in the 49th running of the world famous Daytona race. All four drivers will attend the Roar Before the Rolex 24, the official three-day test at Daytona on January 7-9, to acclimatize themselves to the challenging 3.56-mile, 12-turn combined speedway road course.

United Autosports only turned its first race in April this year, competing in 17 races in Belgium (twice), China, Czech Republic, England (twice), France, Macau, Portugal and Spain. The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona therefore marks the first race on "home" soil for the American-owned team.

Brundle has become a highly regarded and multi-award winning Formula One commentator on British television since retiring from a Formula One career spanning 13 years (1984-96) and 158 Grand Prix starts resulting in 10 podiums. Brundle contested the Le Mans 24 Hours four times (1997-99/01) after his F1 career having won at Le Mans in 1990. Indeed Brundle has made 67 sportscar race starts, including World Sports-Prototype/World Endurance Championships and IMSA events, claiming 34 podiums (including 18 wins) and 11 pole positions.

He has driven Jaguar, BMW Sauber, Red Bull and Williams F1 cars in recent years for media events. In 2005, Martin competed in the Andros Ice Trophy (Renault Megane) and in 2008 drove in the Formula Palmer Audi Championship alongside his son, Alex, who was a series regular. He scored three top-eight finishes from the three races in which he took part.

Brundle raced in two rounds of the Scirocco R-Cup finishing third (Hockenheim) and seventh (Brands Hatch) this year plus three Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo races co-driving with Alex resulting in two top four finishes.

1992 Le Mans 24 Hour race winner Blundell raced in Formula One (1991/1993-95) comprising 61 GP starts and three podiums before switching to the CART World Series (1996-2000) which featured 81 starts and three wins (Portland, Toronto and Fontana). Daytona "rookie" Blundell, who continues to run 2MB Sports Management which includes handling IndyCar driver Mike Conway, also became a Formula One television analysist (2001-08) and raced in major sports car races at Le Mans and Sebring following his single-seater career. Blundell finished third in class in the 24 Hours of Spa this year co-driven by United Autosports Co-Owners Brown and Richard Dean (England) plus Eddie Cheever (USA) - Blundell's first race since finishing second in the 2003 Le Mans 24 Hours.

Ultra-successful businessman and entrepreneur Brown has concentrated on GT racing in recent years after starting off in karting before spells in Formulae Three and Opel Lotus, Indy Lights plus Toyota Atlantics. Zak, who recorded a front row start and podium finish in FIA GT3 European Championship races in Portugal this year, fulfills a personal dream by adding a third Continent - his "home" one - to United Autosports' burgeoning profile by contesting the Rolex 24 assisted by regular Grand Am entrant Michael Shank Racing.

Patterson is by far the most experienced of the quartet in terms of GRAND-AM racing, boasting 66 starts (GT & DP) comprising six podiums. Mark races in the twice-around-the-clock Daytona race for the eighth time and is looking to go one better after finishing second in 2006 - one of four top-nine finishes Mark has achieved - all with Michael Shank Racing. Like Brown, Patterson has raced a United Autosports Audi R8 LMS in the FIA GT3 European Championship this year, placing joint second in the Audi Manufacturer's Cup, and claiming fourth in class in the Spa 24 Hours.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

SpeedSource Files Two Entries For 2011 Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26 am

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - SpeedSource filed the latest entries for the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona, and will run a pair of Mazda RX-8s at the Jan. 29-30 classic at Daytona International Speedway.

Sylvain Tremblay and Jonathan Bomarito - who anchored the 2010-winning GT car - return in the No. 70 Mazda Speed Mazda RX-8. Tremblay also won the event with SpeedSource in 2008. The pair also won at New Jersey Motorsports Park among five podium finishes. Bomarito took third in the final GT standings and was named MESCO Building for the Future Rookie of the Year.

Emil Assentato and Jeff Segal return in the No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8. The pair finished 16th in the 2010 Rolex 24, but rebounded with back-to-back victories at Homestead-Miami Speedway and Barber Motorsports Park, opning a run of 10 consecutive top-four finishes that carried them to the title. Additional SpeedSource drivers will be named in the near future.

GRAND-AM also received entries from two teams that recently announced their driver lineups. SunTrust Racing added car owner and two-time Rolex 24 winner Wayne Taylor to its lineup of Max Angelelli, Ricky Taylor and Ryan Briscoe in the No. 10 SunTrust Chevrolet/Riley. GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing formally entered the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet/Riley for two-time Daytona Prototype champs Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty, joined by five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Krohn Racing Files 4-Driver Lineup For Rolex 24

Post by mlittle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 am

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Krohn Racing will contest the Rolex 24 At Daytona for the third consecutive year in a Ford-Powered Proto-Auto Lola. The team filed a stellar four-driver lineup for the 49th Rolex 24, set for Jan. 29-30 at Daytona International Speedway. Team owner Tracy W. Krohn and Nic Jonsson - who co-drove this past season in the No. 76 Ford/Proto-Auto Lola - will be joined by Ricardo Zonta and Nicolas Minassian.

Here is the team's press release concerning their Rolex 24 entry. The team's best finish in 2010 Rolex Series competition was fourth at the Rolex 24. Jonsson and Zonta gave the Proto-Auto Lola its first two victories in 2009, winning at New Jersey Motorsports Park and Watkins Glen International.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 am

Daytona 24 Practice Session #1 Top-5
DP-1} #02 Target BMW/Riley, 1:40.544 sec(127.466 mph)
DP-2} #10 SunTrust Chevrolet/Dallara, 1:40.665 sec
DP-3} #8 Corsa Car Care Ford/Riley, 1:40.738 sec
DP-4} #90 Spirit of Daytona Chevrolet/Coyote, 1:40.757 sec
DP-5} #95 Level 5 Mtrspts. BMW/Riley, 1:40.830 sec

GT-1} #67 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:49.116 sec(117.452 mph)
GT-2} #57 Stevenson Automotive Camaro GT-R, 1:49.657 sec
GT-3} #54 TRG/Black Swan Porsche 911 GT3, 1:49.685 sec
GT-4} #59 Brumos Racing Porsche 911 GT3, 1:49.713 sec
GT-5} #66 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:50.054 sec

Daytona 24 Practice Session #2 Top-5
DP-1} #10 SunTrust Chevrolet/Dallara, 1:40.340 sec(127.725 mph)
DP-2} #60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, 1:40.758 sec
DP-3} #45 Flying Lizard Porsche/Riley, 1:40.778 sec
DP-4} #8 Corsa Car Care Ford/Riley, 1:40.832 sec
DP-5} #6 Continental Tire Ford/Dallara, 1:40.902 sec

GT-1} #67 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:48.998 sec(117.580 mph)
GT-2} #57 Stevenson Automotive Camaro GT-R, 1:49.453 sec
GT-3} #66 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:49.554 sec
GT-4} #88 Autohaus Mtrspts. Camaro GT-R, 1:49.814 sec
GT-5} #44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3, 1:49.912 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Bergmeister Takes 24 Pole........

Post by mlittle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:14 am

Jorg Bergmeister celebrates after qualifying today, putting the #45 Flying Lizard DP on point for Saturday's Rolex 24 at Daytona

----DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Jorg Bergmeister surprised even himself Thursday at Daytona International Speedway.

Asked by his team to attempt one more lap in the 15-minute session, Bergmeister laid down a Daytona Prototype track qualifying record lap of 1:40.099 (128.033 mph) to capture the pole for Saturday's 49th Rolex 24 At Daytona.

The race takes the green flag at 3:30 p.m. (ET). SPEED will provide seven hours of live coverage on Saturday beginning at 3 p.m., and resuming with seven hours on Sunday beginning at 9 a.m.

"I was ready to come in, and the team told me to try again," Bergmeister said. "I went for it. I risked everything, and it worked out perfectly. I knew we have a great car and a great engine, but I was really surprised to win the pole - with the team running the DP for the first time. I was hoping to qualify in the top five."

Ironically, Bergmeister's No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche/Riley is the same car that David Donohue set the previous record of 1:40.540 (127.492 mph). Donohue went on to win the 2009 Rolex 24 for Brumos Racing, becoming the seventh and most recent driver to win the race from the pole.

"This car has some great history," said Bergmeister, who will co-drive with Patrick Long, Seth Neiman and Johannes van Overbeek.

Bergmeister will be joined on the front row by Max Angelelli, who ran 1:40.133 (127.990 mph) in the No. 10 SunTrust Chevrolet/Riley.

"I'm happy with the front row, but this is a car that should be on the pole," Angelelli said. "I made a few mistakes and couldn't put together a clear lap."

Also under the previous track record were Scott Pruett (128.033 mph), Ryan Dalziel (127.840 mph), Scott Dixon (127.744 mph), Antonio Garcia (127.654 mph), Brian Frisselle (127.563 mph) and AJ Allmendinger (127.562 mph), all eclipsing Donohue's record.

In GT qualifying, Dominik Farnbacher was awarded the pole with a lap of 1:48.781 (117.815 mph) in the No. 66 TRG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup after teammate Andy Lally's time was disallowed due to a technical violation. Lally ran a lap of 1:48.487 (118.134 mph) in the No. 66 TRG Porsche, but his rear wing was found to be mounted too far to the rear.

Jordan Taylor will start second in the Autohaus Motorsports Camaro (117.771 mph). Craig Stanton (117.566 mph) and Nick Tandy (117.434 mph) were also under also under Jeff Segal's year-old GT record of 117.275 mph.