2011 Grand-Am Rolex Series

Discuss all the other types of Motorsport

Moderator: Ed

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

2011 Grand-Am Rolex Series

Post by mlittle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 pm

With the 2010 Grand-Am season now in the rear-views, attention has begun to turn to the coming 2011 season. Although the season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona has already been announced(27-30 January 2011), the remainder of the schedule has not been finalized. There was one bit of excellent news, however.........the series is returning to Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin.

Grand-Am Returns To Road America

Grand-Am last visited Elkhart Lake in 2000 and 2001

---ELKHART LAKE, Wis. - Road America announced its 2011 season schedule of events, including the return of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 in addition to the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

The two GRAND-AM races will join the Bucyrus 200 NASCAR Nationwide Series during the June 23-26 weekend at the historic 4.048-mile circuit, which has been basically unchanged since 1955. The weekend format is yet to be announced.

The Rolex Series raced at Road America in 2000 and 2001, with both races won by Doran Racing's Didier Theys and Fredy Lienhard. Class winners included current Daytona Prototype drivers Terry Borcheller and Darren Law. The Continental Tire Challenge (then the GRAND-AM Cup) raced at the circuit in 2001.

PAST WINNERS.................
2000: Road America 500
SRP I: Fredy Lienhart & Mauro Baldi(Judd-Doran/Doran Racing)
SRP II: Larry Schumacher & Martin Snow(Nissan-Lola/Schumacher Racing)
GTU: Darren Law & Mike Fitzgerald(Porsche 911 GT3/G&W Motorsports)
AGT: Irv Hoerr, Roger Schram & Werner Frank(Chev. Camaro/RVO Motorsports)
GTO: Terry Borcheller & Ron Johnson(Saleen S7R/Saleen Racing)

2001: Road America 500
SRP I: Fredy Lienhart, Didier Theys & Mauro Baldi(Ferrari-Judd/Doran Racing)
SRP II: Ben Devlin, Larry Oberto & David Sterenberg(Nissan-Lola/Archangel Motorsports)
GTS: Chris Bingham & Ron Johnson(Saleen S7R/Saleen Racing)
GT: Randy Pobst & Kim Hiskey(Porsche 911 GT3/Fordahl Racing)
AGT: Kenny Bupp & Joe Leavy(Chev. Camaro/Hamilton Motorsports)
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Gidley Joins Team Sahlen for 2011

Post by mlittle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Memo Gidley & Will Nonnamaker will share driving duties in one of three Mazda RX-8s' for Team Sahlen

----CANTON, Ohio - Memo Gidley will be the lead driver for Team Sahlen's in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 for the 2011 season. Gidley will be paired with long term Team Sahlen driver Wayne Nonnamaker in the No. 43 Team Sahlen Mazda RX-8.

At the conclusion of the 2010 Season, Gidley co-drove with Nonnamaker in the Watkins Glen Crown Royal 200 and season finale at Miller Motorsports Park. In those events, Memo was able to mix it up in the top five with the best in the GT class, leading several laps late in the running of the Utah 250.

"We are very excited to have Memo with us for the entire 2011 season," Joe Sahlen said. "He is very dedicated to working with everyone on the team to get the maximum from the Mazda RX-8. And his dedication behind the wheel has been evident in the past two races. Everyone at Team Sahlen is very dedicated to competing at the sharp edge of the Rolex Series GT field in 2011. All the pieces are in place for a great season next year, and Memo is the key catalyst to making this a reality."

Gidley will co-drive the winning GT Mazda RX-8 from the 2010 Rolex 24 At Daytona. Team Sahlen will also campaign two additional former Mazdas from the SpeedSource stable, including the 2008 Rolex 24 winner.

"I have been very impressed with the changes that team Sahlen has made and continues to make for an assault on the Rolex Series GT championship 2011," Gidley said. "Joe Sahlen is a true racing sportsman that has shown his dedication to the Grand Am Series over the last number of years and even more importantly, his passion for racing in general. This is the kind of team owner that I want to work for. I feel the combination of this and working with the entire Nonnamaker family who I have come to respect, and being paired up with Wayne Nonnamaker as my team mate who is fast and experienced, this is going to be fantastic! I am committed 100 per cent to do everything I can to make 2011 as successful as possible for 2011. I'm very excited!"

Gidley has raced everything from BMX Bikes to Go-Karts to Daytona Prototypes to Open Wheel Indy Cars to Front Wheel Drive Sedans, and achieved success in every discipline. His unbelievably quick seven-year rise to the top of auto racing began in go-karts as a factory driver for US built TrackMagic Karts. Gidley is one of only three drivers ever to win the ultra competitive go-kart SuperNationals in Las Vegas, in the 125cc Super-Pro class and the key driver with results that helped turn TrackMagic into a kart superpower.

During his tenure as an Indy Car driver, Memo amassed an impressive record of 38 races with teams such as Walker Racing, Dale Coyne Racing, Players-Forsythe Racing, Della Penna Motorsports, Target Chip Ganassi Racing, and Rocketsports Racing. In this span in the CART ranks, Gidley had three podiums (two seconds & a third), four top five finishes and numerous top tens, all without the benefit of a full season ride or season testing. Gidley also had a total of 230 laps led in the CART series against some of the best drivers in the world. Because of this, he earned the respect of his competition by being fast and for his never gives up attitude.

More recently, a proven contender in GRAND-AM Daytona Prototype competition, Gidley has been known as a driver that is not only extremely quick, but also known as one of the hardest working drivers in any paddock with 100% commitment to win races. Gidley's versatility is not just limited to land, as his first form of racing was in small sailboats and he continues to crew and race on the San Francisco bay. He recently took up the sport of stand up Jet Ski racing and is currently sitting second in point in the DJSA Series Outlaw 850cc Expert class.

"In 2010, Mazda was able to secure the Rolex Series GT Manufacturer's Crown," said team owner Joe Nonnamaker. "For 2011, the goal of all MAZDASPEED teams competing in the Rolex series is to repeat that feat. For Team Sahlen, this is our No. 1 goal By placing Memo Gidley as our lead finishing driver with Wayne in the No. 43, we feel that Team Sahlen will be in a great position to be of assistance in this goal."

Co-driver Wayne Nonnamaker is a long-time veteran of GRAND-AM competition. Wayne cut his teeth racing in the Continental Tire Challenge Series, where he won his first championship driving a Mazda in the ST class. Wayne proceeded to win the 2002 ST class crown. Then he stepped up to the GS class the following season and won that championship as well. Wayne also has the distinction of having been the last driver in Rolex history to have solo wins, having won two GT events in 2005.

The 2010 Team Sahlen GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series and GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Campaigns will be supported by Mazda, Mazdaspeed, HRPWorld.com, HAWK Performance, Cool Shirt, Racetech Seats, BBS, Racing Print Media, Alcon, Mothers Polish, EMCO, TheRaceSite.com, Grassroots Motorsports, Holliday Canopies, Alcon and CM Racing.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:26 am

October Grand-Am Test Entry List

----DAYTONA PROTOTYPE CLASS
#5 Action Express Racing Porsche/Riley--Darren Law, David Donohue
#9 Action Express Racing Porsche/Riley--Joao Barbosa, Terry Borcheller
#10 SunTrust Racing Ford/Dallara--Max Angelelli, Ricky Taylor, Wayne Taylor
#60 Michael Shank Racing Ford/Riley--Oswaldo Negri, John Pew
#77 Doran Racing Ford/Dallara--Brian Frisselle, Brad Jaeger, Ross Kaiser
#90 Spirit of Daytona Chevrolet/Riley--Paul Edwards, Antonio Garcia
#99 Bob Stallings Racing Chevrolet/Riley--Jon Fogarty, Alex Gurney

----GRAND TOURING CLASS
#11 TPN-BlackForest Racing Ford Mustang--Ian James, Tom Nastasi
#14 Autometrics Porsche 911 GT3--Corey Friedman
#31 Marsh Racing Corvette C-6R--Boris Said, Eric Curran, Sonny Whelen
#41 Dempsey Racing Mazda RX-8--James Gue
#42 Team Sahlen Mazda RX-8--Memo Gidley, Wayne Noonamaker, Joe Noonamaker, Will Nonnamaker, Joe Sahlen
#43 Team Saheln Mazda RX-8--Memo Gidley, Wayne nonnamaker, Joe Nonnamaker, Will Nonnamaker, Joe Sahlen
#44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3--John Potter, Craig Stanton
#46 Autohaus Camaro GT-R--Jordan Taylor, Gunter Schaldach
#49 Team Sahlen Mazda RX-8--Memo Gidley, Wayne Nonnamaker, Joe Nonnamaker, Will Nonnamaker, Joe Sahlen
#57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GT-R--Robin Liddell
#68 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8--Jonathan Bomarito, Sylvain Tremblay
#69 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8--Nick Longhi, Jeff Segal
#86 Mitchum Racing Porsche 911 GT3--Joey Atterbury
#94 Turner Mtrspts. BMW M6--Paul Dalla Lanna, Bill Auberlen
Last edited by mlittle on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

SunTrust Racing To Run with GM Racing for 2011

Post by mlittle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am

----ATLANTA - Wayne Taylor Racing's No. 10 SunTrust Dallara Daytona Prototype will be reunited with General Motors for the first time since 2008 as SunTrust Racing co-drivers Max Angelelli and Ricky Taylor will be powered by Chevrolet engines for the 2011 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 season, the team announced today.

General Motors' Pontiac brand powered the SunTrust Racing team through the first five seasons of its Rolex Series existence, a historic 66-race stretch from 2004 through 2008 that included 12 race victories, 34 podium finishes, 44 top-fives, 56 top-10s and 10 pole positions, highlighted by the Rolex Series championship for Angelelli and co-driver Wayne Taylor in 2005.

"Having been with GM through most all of my racing career in North America, I am extremely happy to be back with GM," said Wayne Taylor, whose SunTrust Racing effort concluded a two-year run with Roush Yates Ford engines last month with a second-place finish in the 2010 Rolex Series title chase. "Clearly, there is a lot of motivation to get SunTrust and GM back on top in the championship, so there is a tremendous amount of excitement already building for the 2011 season on all fronts. I can't wait for it to get here."

The 2011 season kicks off with the traditional Rolex 24 At Daytona twice-around-the-clock endurance classic Jan. 29-30 at Daytona International Speedway. Angelelli and Wayne Taylor dominated that event in 2005 en route to that year's series championship, scoring their first of five wins together that season to go with 10 podium finishes in 14 events and lead-lap finishes at every single race.

Angelelli and the 21-year-old Ricky Taylor will be back in the SunTrust Racing prototype in 2011 for their second consecutive season together. In 2010, the duo recorded a Memorial Day victory at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Conn., to go with seven podium finishes, 11 top-10s and three pole positions.

"We are thrilled that SunTrust and Wayne Taylor Racing have chosen to race with Chevrolet engines next year," said Mark Kent, Director, GM Racing. "We look forward to being reunited with this championship-winning team."

"This just seems to be the beginning of a great technical partnership with us," added Richie Gilmore, Chief Operating Officer, Earnhardt-Childress Racing Engines, the Lexington, N.C.-based manufacturer of the No. 10 SunTrust Chevrolet Dallara engine. "SunTrust and Wayne Taylor Racing are all about trying to win championships, which is in our DNA. The combination of ECR Engines and Wayne Taylor Racing is something we're really looking forward to getting off the ground in 2011."

Earnhardt-Childress Racing Engines was formed in 2007 as a joint venture between Dale Earnhardt, Inc., and Richard Childress Racing. The company produces engines for Chevrolet-powered competitors in NASCAR's Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, in addition to the Rolex Series and the SCCA Trans-Am Series.

General Motors-powered Daytona Prototypes have won more Rolex Series races (36), have had more podium finishes (116) and qualified on the pole more times (37) than any other engine manufacturer. In addition to powering the SunTrust team's 2005 Daytona Prototype championship, General Motors engines powered the No. 99 Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing team of Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty to the 2007 and 2009 Daytona Prototype driver and team championships.

The SunTrust team will first take to the track for the 2011 season at the Roar Before the 24 Test Days at Daytona Jan. 7-9. Additional co-drivers for the SunTrust Racing effort at the Rolex 24 will be announced.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Edwards In, Rice Out at Spirit of Daytona for 2011

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:06 am

---Following up on their most successful season to date in GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 competition, Spirit of Daytona Racing is already busily preparing for even better things in 2011. Following a season that saw the No. 90 return to the podium and score 11 top ten finishes, the Daytona-based team is returning to their DP roots to partner with GM once again, pairing a Chevrolet V-8 powerplant with their Coyote chassis.

Spirit of Daytona has many ties to GM that make the partnership a logical choice. The engineering firm of Pratt & Miller, who was involved with the Coyote re-design and worked with Spirit of Daytona on a one-on-one basis last season, continues to work closely with GM. Full-time Spirit of Daytona No. 90 driver Antonio Garcia has ties of his own to the Chevrolet brand, having long been a GM factory Corvette team driver. Joining Garcia as a full-time driver for the 2011 season will be former Rolex Series GT Champion Paul Edwards. Edwards is looking forward to making the move into DP competition.

"I have really enjoyed the past several years in the GT class and have learned a lot about the tracks, the DP cars and drivers," Edwards said. "This represents a huge opportunity for me and I can't say how excited I am to continue with GM as part of the Spirit of Daytona team. I know from my past experience with Chevrolet that we will have what we need in the power and drivability department. GM is making a strong effort to regain the title in 2011 and continue their impressive track record in the series. It will also be great to drive with Antonio Garcia - I know what a talented driver he is and look forward to learning as much as I can from him about the car and the series. Spirit of Daytona has everything needed to have a very strong season next year and I can't wait to get started."

The new powerplant developed by Earnhardt-Childress Racing is a 305-cubic inch Chevrolet V-8. The 5.0 liter engine produces 500 HP at 7100 RPMs. Mark Kent, Director of GM Racing, spoke on behalf of the company, saying, "We are excited that Spirit of Daytona Racing has chosen Chevrolet as their engine manufacturer of choice for next year. The talents of the Spirit of Daytona team and the performance and reliability of the Chevrolet small block V8 engine will be a great combination to compete for wins and championships."

Spirit of Daytona owner and manager Troy Flis is ready for change, while noting the contributions of those who helped bring the No. 90 consistent top ten finishes in 2010.

"Last season was a real breakthrough for us and we had the most successful run in our DP history," Flis said. "We can't say enough about Ben Lozano and all that his group contributed to that level of success. We wish him the best as he continues his work on developing the Rolex 24 winning Porsche V8 with Action Express. Our move back to GM is a natural progression, given our history with them and our ongoing partnership with Pratt & Miller. We are all excited about the season ahead and will be ready to put Spirit of Daytona back in the winners circle in 2011."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Action Express To Run Second DP in 2011

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 pm

2010 Rolex 24 winners Action Express will add a second Daytona Prototype, the #5(formerly the #59 Brumos Racing entry) to its' stable for 2011

----DENVER, N.C. - Action Express Racing is pleased to announce exciting new plans in the works for the 2011 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 season. Following its inaugural year in 2010, the No. 9 Action Express Porsche V8 Riley team will be expanding its effort for 2011 to include a second Action Express DP entry. The former Brumos Racing No. 59 Riley will be converted to the Porsche-based V8 powerplant by Lozano Brothers and will compete next season in Action Express colors.

The new entry will run alongside the 2010 Rolex 24 winning #9 Porsche V8 Riley for the full season of competition in 2011. Team principal Bob Johnson has confirmed that Action Express Racing will continue under the guidance of Team Manager Gary Nelson and the new Director of Race Team Operations, Elton Sawyer, with the former crew chief of the Brumos No. 59, Bill Keuler, working with the new #5 car and Keith Johnson as the new crew chief of the No. 9. The team's race shop operations will remain based in Denver, N.C., along with the experienced 2010 crew members.

Brumos Racing has announced plans to campaign a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car for 2011 in the Rolex Series GT class, and will return its race shop to its former Jacksonville, Florida location. Former Brumos DP drivers David Donohue and Darren Law will continue to share driving duties as full-time partners in the new Action Express No. 5 Porsche V8 Riley.

Joao Barbosa and Terry Borcheller will also return to pilot the No. 9 Action Express entry as they seek to once again start the season with a Rolex 24 victory.

"I am very pleased to once again have the opportunity to keep these two winning teams competing together in the Rolex Series and to expand the use of the Porsche V8 by Lozano Brothers into both cars," Johnson said. "I feel that these are two of the most experienced teams in the DP class with the famous Brumos Racing pedigree. We have the right equipment and personnel in place to bring home a championship in 2011. I know that we are going to once again surprise everyone with the results of this team."

Action Express is busily preparing for their return to racing in 2011, and will participate in the upcoming Rolex Series test day events, beginning with the VIR test days to be held Oct. 19-20, 2010.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Brumos Racing Returns to GT Ranks for 2011

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 pm

With their decision to return to the GT ranks for 2011, Brumos Racing is returning to its' roots, as exemplified by its' 1973 and 1975 overall wins in the Rolex 24....

----JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Brumos Racing is pleased to announce plans to campaign a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car for the 2011 season in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 GT division. The change will bring Brumos back to its former Jacksonville, Florida race shop, returning the program to the historic roots from which it first began.

Brumos welcomes an impressive driver lineup for the 2011 season. Leh Keen and Andrew Davis will team up as drivers for the famous No. 59 Brumos Porsche. Keen, 2009 Rolex Series GT champion, competed most recently in a Dempsey Racing Mazda RX8. Davis comes to Brumos from the successful Stevenson Camaro program.

"Campaigning a Porsche 911 next season in the Rolex Series GT class marks a return to our roots and to an important concept - racing what we sell," said Brumos Racing Team Principal Dan Davis. "We are very thankful for our success in Daytona Prototype racing and grateful to our drivers and team members for their many accomplishments through the years. David Donohue and Darren Law are first class people and very talented drivers who deserve the opportunity to compete for overall wins in the Rolex Series. Even though they will not be competing in our GT car they will always be part of our Brumos family. The Daytona Prototype will remain in North Carolina to become part of the Action Express team, and we wish them continued success. We are pleased to be able to return our program to our race shop in Jacksonville and we anticipate an exciting and successful year."

Brumos veteran and Vice-President Hurley Haywood is familiar with both of the team's new drivers. "I have worked for many years with Andrew Davis in his role as a Lead Instructor for the Porsche Sport Driving School," Haywood said. "I have watched him win races many times for the GM group. Leh Keen has been successful with the Mazda program as well as a winning a championship with Porsche. I really look forward to working with both these talented young drivers and to seeing them win races in the Brumos Porsche No. 59."

Brumos has been a fixture in sports car racing since Hubert Brundage began racing in 1953. When Peter Gregg purchased Brumos in 1965, he teamed with Hurley Haywood to launch the company on the course that took both drivers and the dealership to the top in sports car competition. That racing legacy has endured through the years, culminating in the memorable Brumos victory in the 2009 Rolex 24 at Daytona

The new Brumos Porsche GT will make its first appearance at the upcoming GRAND-AM Rolex Series December test days in Homestead. The No. 59 Porsche's first race will be the Rolex 24 At Daytona January 29-30, 2011.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 am

2011 Grand-Am Rolex Series Schedule..............

--Roar Before the 24(7-9 Jan.): Daytona International Speedway--Daytona Beach, Fla.
--Rd.1(27-30 Jan.): 49th Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona International Speedway--Daytona Beach, Fla.
--Rd.2(4-5 March): Grand Prix of Miami, Homestead-Miami Speedway--Homestead, Fla.
--Rd.3(8-9 April): Porsche 250, Barber Motorsports Park--Birmingham, Ala.
--Rd.4(13-14 May): Bosch Engineering 250, Virginia International Raceway--Alton, Va.
--Rd.5(29-30 May): Memorial Day Classic, Lime Rock Park--Lakeville, Ct.
--Rd.6(3-4 June): Sahlen's 6 Hours at the Glen, Watkins Glen International[Grand Prix Circuit]--Watkins Glen, N.Y.
--Rd.7(25-26 June): Road America 250, Road America--Elkhart Lake, Wisc.
--Rd.8(8-9 July): Monterey 250, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca--Monterey, Ca.
--Rd.9(23-24 July): Verizon Festival of Speed, New Jersey Motorsports Park--Millville, N.J.
--Rd.10(12-13 August): Crown Royal 200, Watkins Glen International[Short Course]--Watkins Glen, N.Y.
--Rd.11(19-20 August): Montreal 250, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve--Montreal, Que.
--Rd.12(16-17 Sept.): EMCO Gears Classic, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course--Lexington, Ohio

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

VIR News & Notes, 19 Oct. 2010

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Taylor, Tremblay Pleased With Opening Session
--GRAND-AM Rolex Series competitors were pleased with the opening day of testing at Virginia International Raceway. After morning fog, the sun broke through and temperatures climbed into the 80s.

The lone incident of the day saw Tom Nastasi spin at the exit of the Oak Tree turn and impact the barrier with the new No. 11 TPN Racing/Blackforest Ford Mustang. The car was able to return after repairs to the right-rear corner.

"I was pleasantly surprised," said SunTrust Racing team owner Wayne Taylor. "I certainly like the enthusiasm of everyone with Continental Tire, especially with their all of their ideas of marketing and promoting the series. That's what we need, and they are doing a good job."

Sylvain Tremblay, owner/driver of the No. 68 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, was also pleased with the opening session. "We learned a lot," Tremblay said. "We made a good plan, and like all good plans, we have more planning to do. We got some answers, but more questions came up. I'm glad we're going to be here another day."

Pew Tries Out Paddle Shifter, New Side Plates
--Michael Shank Racing is trying out two of the changes that will be in effect for 2010 DP competition. The team has paddle shifters installed on the No. 60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, and experimented with two versions of the rear-wing side plates that will be used next year. Teams having a Pro-Am driver are allowed to use the new shifters.

From a driver's standpoint, it's great," Pew said of the paddle shifters. "We're lucky to try it out. I think it's going to be a good thing. The car is really fun to drive. There are a few teething problems, but that's normal. I think it will be a good team for the thing. I think the guys will like this. My wife has a go-kart with a paddle shifter, and I've been driving that, and I've got it on my simulator. Ozz (co-driver Negri) likes it too."

Pew then used the side plates during the final Trueman-Akin session of the day. Pew - the 2010 Jim Trueman Award winner - is also experimenting with a new look at the test. After wearing a beard "since my college days," Pew showed up at VIR clean shaven. Team owner Michael Shank also has a new look - he's grown a beard during the off season.

Garcia Learning New Chevrolet
--Learning the new Continental Tire is not the main objective for Antonio Garcia and Spirit of Daytona Racing. This is their first test with new ECR Chevrolet power in the No. 90 Coyote.

"We need to figure out who to make the new engine suit this car," Garcia said. "We're still learning how it develops power and durability. That affects the setup of the car, as well. I'm making changes to my driving style to profit from what this engine can give us. I think we will have a real strong package for next year, but we've still got a long way to go."

Garcia also was impressed with the (different compounds) Continental Tire will use next season. "It's a lot easier on the out lap," he said. "I don't think running on cold tires will be a problem next year."

Kaiser Pleased With Opening Session
--Ross Kaiser, winner of the 2011 Sunoco Daytona Challenge, took his first laps in the U.S. on Tuesday morning in Doran Racing's No. 77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara. "It was great," said Kaiser, the British Radical champion who outscored drivers in four U.K. series to win a funded ride in the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona.

"I spent the time getting acclimated to the car and the circuit, learning the parameters of the car around me. We drive on the right side in the U.K., so I'm learning left-side drive; the last left-side drive car I raced was a Ferrari in 2006. I'm pleased that there's a lot of grip in the fast corners, so I was braking later during the session. Now, we're working on picking up time this afternoon."

Neiman to Test With Action Express
Seth Neiman, driver and team principal for Flying Lizard Motorsports in the American Le Mans Series, is at VIR to drive a Daytona Prototype for the first time. He and Darren Law - his regular co-driver in the ALMS - will share the No. 58 Porsche/Riley, powered by a Porsche flat-six engine. This is the same car that Law co-drove to victory in the 2008 Rolex 24 At Daytona.

"Darren has been my co-driver in the No. 44 Porsche since 2007, and he's always told me the DPs were fun to drive," Neiman said. "This test is a great opportunity to have some fun before we got down to serious work preparing for next season. We have no plans yet for the Rolex 24, but we are considering it."

Neiman has raced in the Rolex 24 on three occasions, twice making it to the thrilling yet heartbreaking second step on the GT podium.

"In 2004 we were about three laps from winning overall," Neiman said. Neiman, Johannes van Overbeek, Peter Cunningham and Mike Rockenfeller were part of the Flying Lizard effort, which saw Rockenfeller make a dramatic late-race charge against Johnny Mowlem which came up only a few seconds short. Robin Liddell was part of that year's winning Orbit Racing Porsche team.

This past year, Flying Lizard teamed with TRG to finish second in GT behind SpeedSource at the Rolex 24, Van Overbeek, Jorg Bergmeister and Patrick Long joined Neiman in the No. 67 Porsche. This is Neiman's first time at VIR since late 2003, when he tested a Rennwerks Porsche. His only race here was several years before that in a Skip Barber event on the South Course.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

VIR News & Notes, 20 Oct. 2010

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:01 am

Kaiser Quickly Getting Up to Speed
--Ross Kaiser came to VIR to run a Daytona Prototype at an American circuit for the first time. The champion of the British Radical series also had to come to grips with driving a left-hand drive car. Kaiser quickly got up to speed, though. Unofficially the winner of the Sunoco Daytona Challenge was fourth-fastest in Wednesday's afternoon session - only eight-tenths behind No. 77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara teammate Brian Frisselle, who was second behind Alex Gurney and ahead of Darren Law.

"It's been great running the with Doran team," said Kaiser, whose prize for the Sunoco Daytona Challenge was a seat in a competitive Daytona Prototype for the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona. "Yesterday I was really getting acclimatized with the new car and the new cockpit and the surroundings, and driving for the first time at VIR. So I spent the first session getting settled in. In the second session, Kevin (team owner Doran) gave me a set of stickers and it felt pretty good. I'm thoroughly enjoying it."

Kaiser will also attend the Dec. 1-2 test at Homestead and January's Roar before the Rolex 24 Jan. 7-9 before competing in the Rolex 24. "This is a dream come true, really," Kaiser said. "With our season all over back home in the U.K., all of my attention is on the Rolex 24. It's a fantastic event. Without Sunoco, this event wouldn't be available to me, so I'm looking forward to maximizing this opportunity. I'm looking forward to racing in one of the biggest events in the world - you get the broadest cover of drivers from all disciplines - it's the best of the best. Including me as well!"

Neiman Enjoys First Run in Daytona Prototype
--Seth Neiman is having his first test in a Daytona Prototype, joining Darren Law - his regular co-driver in the American Le Mans Series with Flying Lizard Motorsports - in the Action Express Porsche/Riley.

"What a fun car," Neiman said. "I tried not to have a lot of expectations. I knew it would be a lot different than driving the Porsche RSR. The car is very fast in a straight line and brakes really well. Those are some of the differences from driving the 911. The rest of it is learning VIR (he last tested here in 2003) and getting used to a car that has a lot more downforce under braking and is a lot stiffer through the corners.

"The Action Express people have been very kind to invite us here and have some fun," Neiman continued. "They're coming to grips with a new tire, which is always a big challenge for a team. Overall, it was a good day. I got in about 50 laps and only 'mowed the lawn' two or three times."

Neiman has not made any plans for the Rolex 24 after finishing second in GT in January. "We haven't decided what we're going to do, but never say never," Neiman said.

Law Learning the Porsche V-8
--Darren Law is back in a Porsche/Riley, co-driving with David Donohue in familiar surroundings. His team name has changed though - with Action Express taking over from Brumos after the two teams worked side-by-side last year.

The biggest change for Law is under the rear deck. After running a Porsche Flat Six since 2004, he and Donohue now have a Cayenne-based Porsche V-8 in the No. 5 (the old No. 59) entry.

"Essentially, it's the same program as before," Law said. "Brumos felt it was more beneficial to race what they sell, which is the 911, so that's why that program moved over, and Action Express decided to take over the second car and make it a two-car team.

"The biggest change for us - or for me and David, personally - is that we're running the V-8 Porsche. It's actually quite a bit different. The drivability of the engine is different, the gear ratios are different, the amount of shifts per lap are very different, the rev ranges are different. There are a lot of differences between the two engines. It's not taking us long to get used to it, but it's definitely different. We're also learning the new Continental Tire and what setups it likes, so we're learning a lot of new things this week."

Auberlen: No Problems Transitioning To BMW M3
--Turner Motorsport is testing the No. 94 BMW M6 as the two BMW M3s are not finished in time for this session. The team will have both new cars ready for the December test at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Bill Auberlen feels the time spent this week at VIR with the M6 will help the transition to the new cars they will race in 2011.

"What we learn here will apply straight across the board 100 percent to the new cars," Auberlen said. "The cars are virtually identical under the body. The new Continental Tires are very different. The team has been working very aggressively, applying methodical changes and making improvements. We're coming to grips with the new tires so we can start getting ready for Daytona."

Co-driver Paul Dalla Lana was pleased with the test. "For me, this is as much about getting seat time as figuring out the tires," Dalla Lana said. "The team is closer than anticipated to the performance level we had this past season, and that's a pleasant surprise. We still have work to do. It's a different tire, and we're going back and forth with the different setups. The new tires really help up well yesterday."

Dalla Lana also enjoyed Wednesday's Trueman-Akin session in the rain. "This is only my third season of racing - period," he said. "That was my fourth time driving in the rain. It's a new experience. I was building up, feeling good in the car, gaining situation awareness. I was happy with that, and I'll be able to push more this afternoon."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Toro Corse To Race in Grand-Am w/Lambo Gallardo.........

Post by mlittle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 am

2 Lamborghini Gallardos' similar to the one above will compete in the 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona for Toro Corse............

-----COSTA MESA, Calif. - TORO CORSE announced today it will enter two Lamborghini Gallardos in the 2011 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16, beginning with the Rolex 24 At Daytona in January.

This will be the first appearance of a Lamborghini in Rolex Series competition and the famed Rolex 24. TORO CORSE is an offshoot of the official Lamborghini dealerships in Newport Beach, Calif., and Washington, D.C.

Team owners Jay Wilton and Filippo Marchino entered the 2010 Rolex 24 with the WilMar Racing Ferrari 430, and are currently in the process of building the two Gallardos at the team's site in Costa Mesa in preparation for winter testing.

In finalizing driver lineup for Daytona, TORO CORSE is in talks with several pro drivers. Currently well known Roger Yasukawa, Christian Montanari, Nathan Swartzbaugh and Bob Michaelian are in the process of finalizing negotiations with the team as lineup for the team's first car, and are all expected to compete in Daytona.

The second car will feature Wilton, Marchino, Jim Michaelian and two additional drivers. Wilton, a California based real estate developer and entrepreneur, is co-owner of Lamborghini of Newport Beach and Washington, D.C.

"We are changing road racing forever," Wilton said. "We are finally bringing the last missing piece of the puzzle home - Lamborghini at Daytona and in GRAND-AM. GRAND-AM represents the top level of road racing in the U.S. and in the world. Lamborghini in GRAND-AM seems meant to be."

Marchino, a California based attorney, added: "The excitement and the drive we all feel is exorbitant. It's been a long road, and it will continue to be a long road, but the roar of the Gallardo on the back straight at Daytona will be worth it. We look forward to competing in the full 2011 Rolex Series calendar, on the world's best tracks, with the other greats of this sport including Mazda, Porsche, Corvette, and BMW."

The team is currently undergoing the stringent GRAND-AM homologation process, and expects to be in engine testing homologation by mid-November. The team's website is www.ToroCorse.com.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Doran Racing Impressed With British Driver...........

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:16 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Ross Kaiser, the 2010 Radical UK Cup champion and 2011 Sunoco Rolex 24 At Daytona Challenge winner, flew to the Virginia International Raceway last week to test in America for the first time. As part of the Sunoco Daytona Challenge prize, Kaiser completed two days of testing with Doran Racing with Brian Frisselle and team regular Brad Jaeger, and impressed both car owner Kevin Doran and driver coach Guy Cosmo.

Severely jet-lagged as he only returned from the last round of the Radical Masters Sunday evening before flying across the Atlantic Ocean on Monday, Kaiser not only had to learn how to drive a left-hand-drive DP car but also master a track that he had never seen. Also to be considered was that this was the first test with Continental Tire, so the team had very little data for a perfect car set up.

However, the British champion proved to be a quick learner, sharing Doran Racing's No. 77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara with Brian Frisselle and Brad Jaeger. Despite the challenges, the testing went amazingly well. Kaiser posted the fourth-fastest time on Tuesday afternoon, 1.3 seconds slower than the fastest DP car. Wednesday was hampered by rain until 3 p.m., so he drove only eight laps in the afternoon on used tires. Despite this he posted a time only 0.8 seconds off Brian Frisselle's time set on new slicks and only 0.98 seconds off the fastest time - also set on new tires.

"Ross's driving style seemed to fit the Daytona Prototypes right off," said Doran, a multi-time winner of the Rolex 24. "Ross's speed was right there from early on, so that he and the team worked on laps for familiarity and driver comfort throughout most of the test time."

At VIR, experience race instructor and DP driver Guy Cosmo helped Kaiser as his personal race instructor and mentor. "As a driver I know how difficult it is to fly half-way across the globe, get no sleep, meet 20 new people, learn a track you've never seen before, hop in a car you've never driven before - and try to perform," Cosmo said. "Ross did all of this with flying colours."

Comparing VIR with European circuits, Kaiser felt VIR is very much like a smaller version of Spa with plenty of fast sweeping corners, low speed hairpins and plenty of undulations, and Cosmo was very impressed with Ross's performance on the track.

"At the end of the first day, Ross was turning lap times that put him in the top four of the Daytona Prototype category and through this process he never turned a wheel wrong," Cosmo said. "Ross is going to be very impressive at the Rolex 24 At Daytona and he's certainly deserving of the opportunity."

Kaiser's team for the Rolex 24 is expected to be announced in the near future. His next American test will be Dec. 1-2 with his Rolex 24 team at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In the meantime, Kaiser is training hard to prepare for the Rolex At Daytona, preparing for the new track with the help of iRacing - a computer simulation programme..

‘This is a dream come true really," Kaiser said. "With our season all over in the UK all of my attention is on the Rolex 24. It's a fantastic event. Without Daytona and Sunoco this event wouldn't be available to me so I'm looking forward to racing in one of the biggest events in the world- you get the broadest cover of drivers from all disciplines - it's the best of the best."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Level 5 Motorsports to Test at Homestead-Miami Speedway

Post by mlittle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Level 5 Motorsports confirmed plans to participate in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 test Dec. 1-2 at Homestead-Miami Speedway in preparation for the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona. Owner / driver Scott Tucker will be joined by frequent co-drivers Christophe Bouchut and IZOD IndyCar Series driver Ryan Hunter-Reay, as well as sports car veteran Luis Diaz in testing the team's two BMW-powered Riley Daytona Prototypes.

A host of changes to the DP Class will greet the drivers as they prepare for the upcoming season, making this test session a vital part of the off-season work that has been underway. Most notable among the changes is the addition of paddleshifting technology to the cars to replace the traditional manual shifting mechanism.

"I am looking forward to having the paddleshifter in the Daytona Prototype," Tucker said. "Our team has a lot of experience winning with this technology in other cars, so transferring that knowledge to the DP should be pretty straightforward."

A new tire compound is also expected to affect how the cars perform in the extreme conditions of the 24-hour event and will also be thoroughly tested at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

"From the outside, the cars won't appear very different," Team Manager David Stone said. "But, there are some pretty significant changes impacting our set-up and how the driver drives. We need to get some time on the new tire and see how it feels. Along with some changes to the suspension and differential, we've got plenty to work on during the test."

The team will have some familiar drivers from the 2010 Rolex 24 effort that saw Level 5 earn its first podium finish in the famed endurance racing classic. Tucker, Bouchut and Hunter-Reay were joined by Richard Westbrook and Lucas Luhr in the team's third-place finish in January. Tucker went on to earn two North American sports car series titles in 2010.

Diaz, a former Toyota Atlantic and Indy Lights driver, also has a North American sports car series title to his name. He drove for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates in the 2004-2006 Rolex Series, winning the DP team title in 2006. This will be his first appearance in a Level 5 race car.

The test will be comprised of two very long days with multiple sessions for the Daytona Prototype and GT classes. This is their first test session with the 2011 rules changes. The teams will have another chance to put the cars through their paces in the Jan. 7-9 Roar Before the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway. All of this testing leads up to the 49th Rolex 24 At Daytona that will be run January 29-30.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Earnhardt Name To Return to Rolex 24 in 2011

Post by mlittle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Ten years after his grandfather and uncle scored a podium finish in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, fourth-generation driver Jeffrey Earnhardt will make his debut in America's premier sports car race. Earnhardt, Stanton Barrett and Kevin O'Connell will be part of a NASCAR-flavored driver lineup in a Porsche fielded by Rick Ware Racing in the Jan. 29-30 event at Daytona International Speedway.

The race will mark the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. co-driving in the Rolex 24, when they finished fourth overall and second in the GTS class in a Corvette. The 21-year-old son of NASCAR veteran Kerry Earnhardt, Jeffrey Earnhardt plans to drive for Rick Ware Racing in the 2011 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season.

Earnhardt finished fifth in the NASCAR K&N Series East in 2007 and has since run a progressive schedule. He has two starts in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and four in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. In the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, he has one pole position, nine top fives and 13 top 10s in 25 races.

The trio will be joined by two additional NASCAR drivers in the Fuel Doctor Porsche GT3. The car, raced by O'Connell in GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 competition, was unveiled at the recent SEMA show in Las Vegas.

Dave Mitchell, Vice President of Rick Ware Racing, said the team hopes to field a second car for the Rolex 24, to be driven by drivers with GRAND-AM backgrounds. "Road racing is in Rick's roots," Mitchell said of the team owner. "He raced in the SCCA in the 1980s, and ran in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events at Watkins Glen and Infineon Raceway. The Rolex 24 has been on our team's radar screen the past few years. It's a race we've always wanted to do."

Ware has fielded cars in a number of NASCAR series, ranging from the national touring NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, to regional touring divisions including in the Whelen Modified Series and both the K&N East and West series.

Barrett also has family roots in the Rolex 24. His father, NASCAR veteran Stan Barrett, raced in the 1996 edition of the Rolex 24. His godfather, legendary actor Paul Newman, won the GTS-1 class and finished third overall in the 1995 event. Barrett has experience in NASCAR's three national series, in addition to racing one season in IndyCar. His best finish in 184 NASCAR Nationwide Series races was fifth at Atlanta in 1996.

O'Connell finished 10th in the GT class in the 2007 Rolex 24 At Daytona, driving the O'Connell Racing Porsche. He took four top 10 GT finishes in six races co-driving with Kevin Roush in 2008, including a fifth at the Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen. He also competed in several NASCAR series, including a pair of races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

'World's Fastest Man' to be 2011 Rolex 24 Grand Marshal

Post by mlittle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - British Wing Commander Andy Green, a Royal Air Force pilot and holder of the World Land Speed record, will preside as Grand Marshal for the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 29-30 at Daytona International Speedway.

Known as the "world's fastest man," Green will deliver the starting command, "Drivers, start your engines," for the 49th running of the Rolex 24, the prestigious season-opening event to the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 and the kick-off event to the international motorsports calendar.

"Andy Green's land speed records are remarkable and we're looking forward to hosting him as the Grand Marshal for the 2011 Rolex 24," Daytona International Speedway President Joie Chitwood III said. "The Rolex 24 is one of racing's most challenging events and we're looking forward to all the excitement and drama that comes with the kick-off event to Speedweeks 2011."

In 1997, Green set the world's first and only supersonic land speed record at 763 mph driving Richard Noble's Thrust SuperSonic car. He's working again with Noble on a new record attempt to smash the 1,000 mph mark. In 2006, Green drove the JCB Dieselmax car to set the mark for the world's fastest diesel car at 350 mph. He is the only man in history to not only drive supersonic, but to set world records in two different classes of vehicles.

Green is also a combat veteran having commanded the Royal Air Force operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan. His career has included flying in the F4 Phantom, Tornado F3 and the Harrier. He now works in the Ministry of Defence and supports Royal Air Force activity around the globe. Green joins a list of racing legends who have previously served as Grand Marshals for the Rolex 24. Past Rolex 24 Grand Marshals include Brian Redman, Dan Gurney, Jackie Stewart, Richard Petty, Bobby Rahal, Sir Stirling Moss and most recently Vic Elford.

The Rolex 24 is America's most prestigious sports car race and features a star-studded lineup of drivers from different racing disciplines. Drivers who participated in the 2010 Rolex 24 included NASCAR stars Jimmie Johnson, Jamie McMurray and Juan Pablo Montoya, open-wheel champions Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon and sports car veterans Max Angelelli, Scott Pruett, Memo Rojas, Joao Barbosa and David Donohue.

Besides the star drivers, the Rolex 24 also produces a festival atmosphere that includes a giant autograph session, wine and cheese tasting, Chili Cook-Off, the Daytona 5K run/walk and a giant Ferris Wheel.