----DP Engine Standings
1st} Riley Tech., 242 pts(6 wins)
2nd} Dallara, 203 pts(1 win)
3rd} Coyote, 167 pts
4th} Lola, 147 pts
5th} Crawford, 17 pts

GRAND TOURING CLASS
----Drivers' Standings(top-10)
t-1st}[1]Emil Assentato, 204 pts(2 wins)
t-1st}[2]Jeff Segal, 204 pts(2 wins)
3rd} Sylvain Tremblay, 194 pts(1 win)
4th} Andy Lally, 188 pts
t-5th}[5]Andrew Davis, 179 pts
t-5th}[6]Robin Liddell, 179 pts
t-7th}[7]James Gue, 177 pts
t-7th}[8]Leh Keen, 177 pts
9th} Jonathan Bomarito, 175 pts(1 win)
10th} Jordan Taylor, 162 pts
----Manufacturers' Standings
1st} Mazda, 236 pts(4 wins)
2nd} Chevrolet, 193 pts**
3rd} Porsche, 186 pts(2 wins)***
4th} BMW, 155 pts(1 win)
5th} Ferrari, 32 pts
6th} Ford, 16 pts
*--Porsche currently runs 2 different types of engines in Grand-Am DP competition, a 3.6L Flat V6 and a 3.9L Cayenne V8
**--Chevrolet runs 2 different makes in Grand-Am GT competition, the Chevrolet Corvette C6-R and the Camaro GT-R
***--GT teams using Porsche engines can choose either the 3.6L Flat-6 or the 3.9L V8 Cayenne engine for use
The Sci-Fi Station Come by and visit when you get the chance. :)
The Wayward Tarheel I'm even in the blogosphere.... :shock:

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

JJ's Grand-Am Experience Paying Off in Sprint Cup...........

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:03 pm

NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson(r) and Gainsco principal Bob Stallings discuss strategy during the Sahlen's 6 Hours at the Glen

-----Jimmie Johnson followed his father's advice and raced the GAINSCO Daytona Prototype at Daytona International Speedway and Watkins Glen International earlier this season. On Father's Day, that wisdom paid off when the reigning four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion won his first career road race at NASCAR's highlight level, the Save Mark 350 at Infineon Raceway.

"When I grew up racing motorcycles, my dad would always put me on a bigger bike than my class, when we'd go out practice and stuff," Johnson said prior to racing Bob Stallings' Red Dragon Chevrolet/Riley in the Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen in June. "And he always told me that if I could ride a bike with more power and see things at a faster speed, when I was on my normal-size bike it would slow everything down for me. I do believe in that."

Johnson ran second behind eventual winners Memo Rojas and Scott Pruett at Watkins Glen, then joined Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty in a sixth-place finish after a late-race spin cost the team a podium finish. "I've been very fortunate to get in this Daytona Prototype, so when I go back to a Cup car, it slows things down for me and helps me feel a little bit more in control and understand the threshold of the car," Johnson said at The Glen. "And then in general, turning laps on a road course can't hurt. The more I do this, the better I get at it."

At Sonoma, Johnson started second in the 43-car field and then led 55 of the 110 laps in scoring his fourth victory of the season - but first of his career on a road circuit. "It feels so good," Johnson said in victory lane after winning Sunday's race. "I've been working really hard to get better as a road course driver. I have to thank Bob Stallings and Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty and Kyle Brannan and all the guys at GAINSCO Racing who have been working with me and letting me come and run their GRAND-AM car. It has been a big help. On top of that Hendrick Motorsports has been working so hard to get better at this stuff. We tested again and again and again and we are getting better. I'm getting better and we have all the tools here. Just an awesome day. Happy Father's Day to my Dad and it is also my Mom's birthday, so one heck of a day."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Said to Race With Marsh Racing at Brumos Porsche 250

Post by mlittle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 pm

-----DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Popular veteran Boris Said has entered the Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway, co-driving Marsh Racing's No. 31 Whelen Engineering Corvette with Eric Curran. The team competes in the production-based GT class of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16. The race takes the green flag on Saturday, July 3 at 11 a.m. ET. (SPEED, live).

"It's a new car, and they're developing it at the race track," Said explained. "They're getting better and better with each race - they qualified fifth in the most recent race at Mid-Ohio. I talk with Eric a lot, and I feel they're overcoming the problems from earlier this year."

Marsh Racing, a veteran of NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR K&N Pro Series East competition, first raced in the Rolex Series at Barber Motorsports Park in April. The team ran the next five races, with a best finish of 10th at Watkins Glen's six-hour event, with Curran co-driving with Brandon Davis.

Team owner Ted Marsh said he hopes to have Said in the car for the remainder of the Rolex Series season, as Curran's co-driver.

The Brumos Porsche 250 will also be the 100th race for the Rolex Series' headlining class, Daytona Prototypes. Said drove to a third-place finish in the 2003 Rolex 24 At Daytona, the debuting race for the DPs.

"I was in the first one and I really believed in the idea and the concept and it's become one of the most competitive series in the world," Said recalled. "You look at other series and you know which prototype is going to win because it has a competitive advantage. But not with GRAND-AM, where it's all about the driver, team and manufacturer. It isn't about just having the best car."

Daytona will be Said's second Rolex Series event this season. He raced with Turner Motorsport in the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona, finishing eighth. He ran in one full Rolex Series season, losing a tiebreaker for the GT championship to teammate Bill Auberlen in 2004. He scored five of his seven career Rolex Series class victories that year. Said also has one overall victory, winning at Watkins Glen in 2006 as a replacement for Krohn Racing.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Ten Daytona Prototype Races to Remember..............

Post by mlittle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 am

As the series' 100th DP race, the Brumos Porsche 250 approaches, take a look at some of the most memorable moments in Daytona Prototype history................

* 1. May 18, 2003: Barber 250, Barber Motorsports Park - Terry Borcheller caps a comeback charge by passing JC France for the lead only three turns from the finish.

* 2. June 22, 2003: Sahlen's Six Hours at The Glen, Watkins Glen International - Scott Goodyear, nursing an ailing shoulder, defeats Didier Theys in a five-lap shootout, taking the lead with two laps remaining to give the No. 58 Brumos Porsche Fabcar its first victory.

* 3. Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2004: Rolex 24 At Daytona, Daytona International Speedway - NASCAR star Tony Stewart's car breaks while leading with 17 minutes remaining, giving victory to Bell Motorsports team led by Terry Borcheller.

* 4. April. 3, 2005: Ferrari Maserati 400, 2005, Auto Club Speedway - Scott Pruett beats Max Angelelli in last-lap drag race, winning by .096 seconds.

* 5. August 25, 2007: Armed Forces Grand-Am 250, Infineon Raceway - Alex Gurney passes David Donohue with two laps remaining to score a record seventh DP victory (with Jon Fogarty), as Brumos loses a heartbreaker, trying for its first win in four years.

* 6. Sept. 15, 2007: Sunchaser 1000, Miller Motorsports Park - Momentum among the top three teams contending for the DP title shifts three times in one lap during the final hour of the season. Scott Pruett tangles with Alex Gurney while going for the lead (and championship) and both spin. Max Angelelli hits debris while getting by, and his car erupts into flame near the pit entrance. Pruett regains the lead but is black-flagged for avoidable contact. Gurney and Jon Fogarty win the title with an eighth-place finish, one position ahead of Pruett.

* 7. July 3, 2008: Brumos Porsche 250, Daytona International Speedway - Scott Pruett sling-shots past Alex Gurney only a few feet from the finish line, to win by .081 seconds.

* 8. August 1, 2008: Montreal 200, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Mark Wilkins goes from fourth to first on final lap, passing Antonio Garcia in the closing yards to win by .064 seconds, the closest finish in Rolex Series history.
* 9. Jan. 24-25, 2009: Rolex 24 At Daytona, Daytona International Speedway - David Donohue holds off Juan Pablo Montoya in a terrific battle throughout the final hour to win on the 40th anniversary of his father Mark's victory. A record four DPs finish on the lead lap.

* 10. Oct. 10, 2009, Grand Prix of Miami, Homestead-Miami Speedway - Semi-retired Hurley Haywood wins season finale in pinch-hitting role for Brumos Porsche, while Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty win second championship in three years by six points with a fourth-place finish.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Brumos Porsche 250........Grand-Am's 100th DP Race

Post by mlittle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:02 am

-----The July 3 running of the Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway will be the 100th race for the Daytona Prototypes, the premier class of the GRAND-AM Rolex Series Presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16. The class debuted at the 2003 Rolex 24 At Daytona, when six DPs from four manufacturers led the field to the green flag for America's premier endurance race.

The DP concept was announced on the eve of the 2002 Rolex 24. The concept called for an affordable class using stable rules and a platform that is designed for close and safe competition. The revolutionary machines have redefined prototype sports car racing, applying sensible rules - underscored by a firm commitment to a level playing field.

Seven chassis, using a variety of engines, were originally approved for the class - Fabcar, Picchio, Doran, Multimatic, Riley, Crawford and Chase. Manufacturers were allowed to transfer their license or submit upgrades for their chassis for the 2008 season, with Dallara, Proto-Auto Lola and Coyote joining the DP competition.

To date, 79 DPs have been built. As a testament of the car's reliability, the original Riley chassis 001 that debuted in the 2004 Rolex 24 remains active in competition. The car finished third for AIM Autosport in the most recent Rolex Series race.

David Donohue and Darren Law have competed in all 99 DP races to date. Rivals in 2003, they have teamed at Brumos Racing since 2004. Other drivers from the 2003 debut expected to race next weekend include Terry Borcheller - the first DP champion - Ozz Negri and Boris Said. Other DP champions expected to race are two-time champs Scott Pruett, Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty, plus Max Angelelli and Memo Rojas. Pruett is the all-time leading DP winner with 27 career victories, while Fogarty leads the class in poles, with 14.

The design of the Daytona Prototype allows drivers from other disciplines of motorsports to be competitive with minimal testing. Among the 336 drivers who have competed in at least one DP race are Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch from NASCAR; Helio Castroneves, Danica Patrick, Dario Franchitti and Al Unser Jr. from IndyCar; Formula One's Eddie Cheever and Sebastien Bourdais; legendary racer/actor Paul Newman; endurance racing champions Hurley Haywood, Derek Bell and Andy Wallace; and motorcycle stars Scott Russell and Jeff Ward.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

#01 Ganassi Squad Cited for Rules Violation

Post by mlittle » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - GRAND-AM Road Racing today assessed penalties on the No. 01 team that competes in the Daytona Prototype class, as a result of a rule violation during the June 19 Rolex Series race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. During post-race inspection, the team was found to be in violation of Daytona Prototype Regulations 4-1.1 Engine Eligibility (components and performance levels that must be strictly adhered to).

As a result, the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates team was penalized 25 team points; drivers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas were penalized 25 driver points; and BMW was penalized 25 manufacturer points(standings to reflect change following Daytona II). Additionally, the team was fined $15,000 payable to Camp Boggy Creek, a full-service camp for seriously ill children and the official charity of GRAND-AM.

GRAND-AM also announced a rule change affecting any teams using the 5.0-liter BMW V-8 engine. Cars electing to use this engine must weigh an additional 75 pounds, increasing the weight minimum to 2,350 lbs.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:44 am

Brumos Porsche 250 Practice Session 1
DP-1} #01 Telmex BMW/Riley, 1:53.808 sec
DP-2} #6 The Pit Stop Ford/Dallara, 1:53.884 sec
DP-3} #61 Pacific Mobile Ford/Riley, 1:54.164 sec
DP-4} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 1:54.251 sec
DP-5} #99 Gainsco Chevrolet/Riley, 1:54.283 sec

GT-1} #68 MazdaSpeed Mazda RX-8, 1:59.620 sec
GT-2} #70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 1:59.939 sec
GT-3} #30 Racers Edge Mazda RX-8, 2:01.738 sec
GT-4} #07 Airjax/Mobil 1 Corvette C-6R, 2:02.116 sec
GT-5} #31 Whelen Corvette C-6R, 2:02.675 sec

Brumos Porsche 250 Practice Session 2
DP-1} #6 The Pit Stop Ford/Dallara, 1:55.565 sec
DP-2} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 1:56.123 sec
DP-3} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 1:56.903 sec
DP-4} #9 Action Express Porsche/Riley, 1:57.232 sec

GT-1} #07 Airjax/Mobil 1 Corvette C-6R, 2:01.007 sec
GT-2} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 2:02.437 sec
GT-3} #44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3, 2:02.788 sec
GT-4} #57 BryanMark Financial Camaro GT-R, 2:02.967 sec
GT-5} #66 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 2:03.483 sec

Brumos Porsche 250 Practice Session 3
DP-1} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 1:46.518 sec
DP-2} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 1:47.415 sec
DP-3} #60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, 1:47.943 sec

GT-1} #07 Airjax/Mobil 1 Corvette C-6R, 1:54.308 sec
GT-2} #28 LG Motorsports Corvette C-6R, 1:55.219 sec
GT-3} #66 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:55.356 sec
GT-4} #97 BryanMark Financial Camaro GT-R, 1:55.495 sec
GT-5} #94 Turner Motorsports BMW M6, 1:55.621 sec

note.........sessions 1-2 run under rainy conditions; session 3 run under wet but drying track conditions

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Taylor, Tremblay Snare Brumos Porsche 250 Poles

Post by mlittle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am

SunTrust Racing's Ricky Taylor celebrates after winning the DP pole for Saturday's Brumos Porsche 250

----Told he need to run "one more perfect lap," Ricky Taylor responded with a lap of 1:42.341 (125.228 mph) to capture the pole position for Saturday's Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway, the eighth round of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16. The race takes the green flag at 11 a.m. Flag-to-flag SPEED coverage begins at 1 p.m. ET.

Taylor put the No. 10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara atop the scoring charts early in the 15-minute session, and bettered his speed three times to hold off defending Daytona Prototype champion Jon Fogarty in the No. 99 GAINSCO Chevrolet/Riley. Taylor is in his first year co-driving with Max Angelelli, defending winner of the Brumos Porsche 250.

But that was not enough for team strategist, who told the 20-year-old student at the University of Central Florida that he needed to go faster. "As always, the car was capable of winning the pole, and it was a matter of putting all of the corners together," said Taylor, who recorded his second pole of the season. "When you run with a team like SunTrust, it's easy to look good. I think I could have gone even faster if I had another lap, but I ran out of fuel."

"Ricky was fantastic, and he continues to exceed my expectations," said Angelelli, who co-drove with Brian Frisselle in last year's victory. Angelelli also won this event in 2004, co-driving with car owner Wayne Taylor, father of the pole winner. "I am looking forward to tomorrow night - and the future."

Fogarty was second fastest with a lap of 1:42.454 (125.090 mph). Starting on the second row will be Darren Law, 1:42.904 (124.543 mph) in the No. 59 Brumos Porsche/Riley, and Brian Frisselle, 1:43.315 (124.047 mph) in the No. 6 Michael Shank Racing Ford/Dallara. Point leader Memo Rojas will start fifth in the No. 01 TELMEX BMW/Riley shared with Scott Pruett, 1:43.377 (123.973 mph). Rojas and Pruett have won five of seven races this year, including the last two.

Ironically, while Taylor secured the pole on his final lap, his younger brother Jordan Taylor was bumped off the top slot in GT qualifying on the final lap by Sylvain Tremblay.Tremblay ran a lap of 1:50.495 (115.987 mph) in the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8 he drove to victory in the 2010 Rolex 24 At Daytona with co-driver Jonathan Bomarito.

Tremblay, second in GT points, is a two-time GT winner of the Brumos Porsche 250. Tremblay also won the Rolex 24 twice - all in the No. 70 Mazda RX-8. The No. 70 he drove Friday is the same car that was involved in an accident two weeks ago at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course; the team replaced the entire front end of the car. "I was gradually getting quicker on every lap," Tremblay said. "As the track got better, I played with my line and adjusted the bars - and that got the car better at the end. Jordan was quick - but he always qualifies fantastically."

It will be the seventh front-row start of 2010 for Jordan Taylor, who ran a lap of 1:50.514 (115.967 mph) in the No. 30 Racers Edge Motorsports Mazda RX-8 he shares with Todd Lamb. Taylor leads the class with three poles. Starting on the second row will be Adam Christodoulou, 1:51.326 (115.121 mph) in the No. 68 Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development Mazda RX-8 co-driven by John Edwards; and Boris Said, 151.704 (114.732 mph) in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Corvette.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

6 wins on the season for Pruett and Rojas

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 am

-----Drivers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas of the TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates team celebrated the 100th race for the Daytona Prototype class by scoring an impressive victory in Saturday's Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway, adding to their record win totals in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series' leading division.

Pruett took the lead with one hour remaining and led all but one of the remaining laps in the No. 01 TELMEX BMW/Riley started by Rojas. Pruett beat Rolex 24 At Daytona winner Ryan Dalziel to the checkered flag by 24.304 seconds, extending his DP-leading total to 28 victories; it was the 29th triumph for the Ganassi team.

"It's great for our team to win the 100th DP race - that's incredible," Pruett said. "That says a lot for GRAND-AM for what they've achieved and where it's going. It's a special mark for our team. Today we didn't have the fastest race car, but we raced smart and we raced clean and we did what we had to do. Good things happen to good people."

The victory came only four days after a penalty resulting from post-race inspection at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course cost the team 25 points, cutting their lead to seven points in the battle for the DP championship title. Pruett and Rojas now lead Ryan Dalziel by 13 points.

"I don't know how to describe racing with the extra weight," Rojas said. "Try running a sprint with a backpack and then try to slow down. But we were able to stay focused, and Scott hasn't made a single mistake all season."

Dalziel - who won the season-opening Rolex 24 with Action Express Racing - joined Mike Forest in the No. 8 Corsa Car Care BMW/Riley. Both drivers led the race for a total of 13 laps; their efforts came one day after they missed qualifying due to an accident in opening practice. It was Dalziel's third consecutive podium finish with three different teams at Daytona. He finished third in last year's Brumos Porsche 250, co-driving with Bill Lester for Orbit Racing.

Ozz Negri and John Pew took third in the No. 60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, their third podium finish of the season. Negri held off David Donohue, who co-drove with Darren Law in the No. 59 Brumos Porsche/Riley. Memo Gidley and Dion von Moltke finished fifth in the No. 77 McDonald's/PR Newswire Ford/Dallara. Negri, Donohue and Law participated in the first Daytona Prototype race, the 2003 Rolex 24. Donohue and Law have run in all 100 races.

In the GT class, Andy Lally passed Joey Hand with nine laps remaining to win his third race of the season, joining RJ Valentine in the No. 66 TRG Porsche GT3.

"Joey and I have had great battles at almost every track we go to, and it's great to be back up here," Lally said. "This was RJ's first race in a year-and-a-half, and he showed up here and gave great feedback. He drove awesome in wet conditions during practice yesterday, and he was hauling the mail early in today's race."

Hand finished second, joined by Paul Dalla Lana and Bill Auberlen in the No. 94 Turner Motorsport BMW M6. Andrew Davis and Robin Liddell finished third, giving the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro its first podium finish in six races.

"Andy Lally and I have been racing together since we were kids, and we've had only one kind of battle - great ones," said Hand, who joined Auberlen in giving Turner Motorsport its first GT victory in the most recent race at Mid-Ohio. "Andy was coming on strong today, and his car was strong today. I wasn't much of a match for him today."

Emil Assentato and Jeff Segal finished fourth in the No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8. They lead the GT championship standings by nine points over Lally and 13 over Sylvain Tremblay, who finished sixth in the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8 co-driven by Jonathan Bomarito.

Ricky Taylor started the race from the pole and led the opening 13 laps. He was running second after his first pit stop when he spun and impacted the guardrail in the No. 10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara. Co-driver Max Angelelli took over and finished ninth. Jon Fogarty, who was involved in the Taylor incident, finished seventh in the No. 99 GAINSCO Chevrolet/Riley co-driven by Alex Gurney. The defending Daytona Prototype champions ran in contention before losing first gear midway through the race.

Other leaders who encountered problems were Brian Frisselle, who led 13 laps in the No. 6 Michael Shank Racing Ford/Riley shared with Michael Valiante, and Buddy Rice, who came back from a spin to finish eighth in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote co-driven by Antonio Garcia. Tremblay dominated the early stages of the GT race before cutting a tire, resulting in a long stop. Kelly Collins also led the class in the No. 28 LG Motorsports Corvette.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:21 pm

2010 Grand-Am Rolex Standings

DAYTONA PROTOTYPE CLASS
~~~Drivers' Standings(top-10)
t-1st}[1]Memo Rojas, 235 pts(6 wins)
t-1st}[2]Scott Pruett, 235 pts(6 wins)
3rd} Ryan Dalziel, 222 pts(1 win)
t-4th}[4]Burt Frisselle, 213 pts
t-4th}[5]Mark Wilkins, 213 pts
t-6th}[6]Max Angelelli, 210 pts(1 win)
t-6th}[7]Ricky Taylor, 210 pts(1 win)
t-8th}[8]John Pew, 208 pts
t-8th}[9]Oswaldo Negri, 208 pts
10th} Mike Forest, 206 pts
~~~DP Engine Standings
t-1st}[1]BMW, 249 pts(6 wins)
t-1st}[2]Ford, 249 pts(1 win)
3rd} Porsche, 230 pts(1 win)*
4th} Chevrolet, 196 pts
~~~DP Chassis Standings
1st} Riley Tech., 252 pts(7 wins)
2nd} Dallara, 229 pts(1 win)
3rd} Coyote, 190 pts
4th} Lola, 172 pts
5th} Crawford, 17 pts

GRAND TOURING CLASS
~~~Drivers Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Emil Assentato, 232 pts(2 wins)
t-1st}[2]Jeff Segal, 232 pts(2 wins)
3rd} Andy Lally, 223 pts(3 wins)
4th} Sylvain Tremblay, 219 pts(1 win)
t-5th}[5]Andrew Davis, 209 pts
t-5th}[6]Robin Liddell, 209 pts
t-7th}[7]James Gue, 201 pts
t-7th}[8]Leh Keen, 201 pts
9th} Jonathan Bomarito, 200 pts(1 win)
t-10th}[10]Adam Christodoulou, 187 pts(1 win)
t-10th}[11]Bill Auberlen, 187 pts(1 win)
t-10th}[12]John Edwards, 187 pts(1 win)
~~~Manufacturers Standings
1st} Mazda, 264 pts(4 wins)
2nd} Chevrolet, 223 pts**
3rd} Porsche, 221 pts(3 wins)***
4th} BMW, 187 pts(1 win)
5th} Ferrari, 32 pts
6th} Ford, 16 pts
*--Porsche currently runs 2 different types of engines in Grand-Am DP competition, a 3.6L Flat V6 and a 3.9L Cayenne V8
**--Chevrolet runs 2 different makes in Grand-Am GT competition, the Chevrolet Corvette C6-R and the Camaro GT-R
***--GT teams using Porsche engines can choose either the 3.6L Flat-6 or the 3.9L V8 Cayenne engine for use

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

P Zero Bonus Awards Increase in Grand-Am Competition

Post by mlittle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - With a combined $45,000 in Pirelli P Zero Bonus awards available in the next event on the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 schedule, competitors hope that New Jersey Motorsports Park will continue to reward first-time winners.

The July 18 NJMP 250 presented by Crown Royal will be the Rolex Series' third visit to the Millville, N.J., complex. Over the past two years, the Daytona Prototype and GT winners scored their first victories of the season at the 2.25-mile Thunderbolt Raceway, which could make them eligible to win the prize posted by Pirelli Tire North America.

Teams finishing in the top 10 in the 2009 DP and GT standings are eligible for the Pirelli P Zero Club in 2010. When an eligible team wins its first race of the season in either class, it earns a $5,000 bonus. If the team has already won, the prize rolls over to the next event - with all members eligible for the prize in the Sept. 11 season finale at Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Club P Zero Bonus is $20,000 for Daytona Prototype and $25,000 for GT at the New Jersey event. In 2008, Ozz Negri and Mark Patterson claimed their first victory of the season in DP, with Andy Lally and Tim George Jr. winning for the first time in GT. Last year saw Nic Jonsson and Ricardo Zonta give the Proto-Auto Ford Lola its first DP triumph, with Leh Keen and Dirk Werner taking their first victory in an eventual run to the GT championship.

"The additional Pirelli P Zero Bonus money brings additional excitement to an already exciting event," said Kevin Hindson, GRAND-AM Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "A team can earn a major windfall through the 'rollover' feature of the program, and New Jersey has a history of close racing and exciting finishes."

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Verizon 250 Practice Session 1
DP-1} #99 Gainsco Chevrolet/Riley, 1:15.685 sec
DP-2} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 1:15.838 sec
DP-3} #60 Crown Royal XR Ford/Riley, 1:15.971 sec
DP-4} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 1:16.046 sec
DP-5} #61 Pacific Mobile Ford/Riley, 1:16.077 sec

GT-1} #57 Stevenson Auto Camaro GT-R, 1:22.031 sec
GT-2} #70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 1:22.398 sec
GT-3} #30 Racers Edge Mazda RX-8, 1:22.494 sec
GT-4} #69 FXDD Mazda RX-8, 1:22.660 sec
GT-5} #31 Whelen Engineering Corvette C-6R, 1:22.681 sec

Verizon 250 Practice Session 2
DP-1} #99 Gainsco Chevrolet/Riley, 1:15.926 sec
DP-2} #75 Krohn Aviation Ford/Lola, 1:16.236 sec
DP-3} #59 Brumos Porsche/Riley, 1:16.359 sec
DP-4} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 1:16.597 sec
DP-5} #01 Telmex BMW/Riley, 1:16.836 sec

GT-1} #94 Turner Motorsports BMW M6, 1:22.404 sec
GT-2} #30 Racers Edge Mazda RX-8, 1:22.430 sec
GT-3} #70 SpeedSource Mazda RX-8, 1:22.493 sec
GT-4} #44 Magnus Racing Porsche 911 GT3, 1:22.562 sec
GT-5} #07 Banner Racing Corvette C-6R, 1:22.681 sec

Verizon 250 Pro-Am Practice Session
DP-1} #90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote, 1:18.522 sec
DP-2} #61 Pacific Mobile Ford/Riley, 1:19.159 sec
DP-3} #77 McDonald's Ford/Dallara, 1:19.808 sec
DP-4} #9 Action Express Porsche/Riley, 1:20.022 sec
DP-5} #59 Brumos Porsche/Riley, 1:20.303 sec

GT-1} #97 Stevenson Auto Camaro GT-R, 1:22.102 sec
GT-2} #07 Banner Racing Corvette C-6R, 1:23.104 sec
GT-3} #66 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:23.550 sec
GT-4} #67 The Racer's Group Porsche 911 GT3, 1:24.054 sec
GT-5} #57 Stevenson Auto Camaro GT-R, 1:24.527 sec

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

The Bow-Tie Brigade Sweeps Both Classes in N.J.

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:43 pm

MILLVILLE, N.J. - After finishing fifth and sixth in two GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 races at New Jersey Motorsports Park, GAINSCO Bob Stallings decided to come with a different setup for Sunday's Verizon 250 presented by Crown Royal.

Jon Fogarty found the new setup to his liking on Saturday, running a lap of 1:15.148 (107.787 mph) to capture his first pole position of the season in the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet/Riley. Friday, co-driver and defending Daytona Prototype co-champion Alex Gurney led both practice sessions at the 2.25-mile Thunderbolt Raceway. The Verizon 250, Round 9 of the 12-race Rolex Series season, takes the green flag at 1 p.m. ET (SPEED, live).

"We unloaded with a good car, even though we came here a package that was vastly different from what we've run here in the past," said Fogarty, who scored his Rolex Series-leading 15th career pole. "The setup is working quite well, and I'm very happy to be up front with Chevrolet's first pole of the year."

Ricky Taylor will start second in the No. 10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara after running a best lap of 1:15.416 (107.404 mph) to secure his third consecutive front-row start. His co-driver, Max Angelelli, finished second in this event both years that the Rolex Series raced at this circuit. "That was the epitome of a qualifying session - flat out, 110-percent every lap," Taylor said. "I'm happy to be on the front row again, and I'm looking forward to the race."

Mark Wilkins qualified third in the No. 61 AIM Autosport Ford/Riley, 1:15.489 (107.300 mph) while DP point leader Memo Rojas will start fourth after running a lap of 1:15.671 (107.042 mph) in the No. 01 Telmex BMW/Riley that won six of eight races this season. Rojas and Scott Pruett enter the race with a 13-point in the Daytona Prototype championship over Ryan Dalziel, who will start 12th in the No. 8 Flex-Box/Xtreme Indoor Karting BMW/Riley qualified by Mike Forest.

Chevrolets dominated qualifying for the production-based GT class, taking the top three positions. Paul Edwards ran a lap of 99.319 mph to win the pole in the No. 07 Banner Racing Corvette co-driven by motorcycle veteran Scott Russell.

"We really needed it, because we've had a tough start to the season," said Edwards, who led qualifying at Homestead-Miami Speedway for Chevrolet's only other pole position of the season. "I've felt we've deserved a good result many times, but it all hasn't come together for us. We're planning on finishing the last four races of the season strong, and that's what we did today. Scott and I have worked real hard to find a good balance here, and we're happy with the car."

Edwards will be joined on the front row by Formula One veteran Jan Magnussen, in the No. 97 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro co-driven by Gunter Schaldach. Robin Liddell qualified third in the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro co-driven by Andrew Davis, running a lap of 1:21.614 (99.248 mph). Jonathan Bomarito qualified the fastest of eight Mazdas entered in the race, and will start fourth after running a lap of 1:21.679 (99.169 mph) in the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8.

Championship leaders Emil Assentato and Jeff Segal will start 14th in the No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8. They enter the race with a nine-point lead over Andy Lally, who starts 18th, joining RJ Valentine in the No. 66 Advanced Aerosol Engineering Porsche GT3 that won the most recent race, the Brumos Porsche 250 at Daytona International Speedway.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

The Red Dragons' Win in New Jersey

Post by mlittle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:21 pm

-----With three minutes remaining Sunday at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas were looking to make GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16 history. Then, Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty made some history of their own.

One day after Fogarty gave the team its first pole position of the season, Gurney caught and passed Pruett with less than two laps remaining and went on to win by 3.674 seconds, giving the defending Daytona Prototype champions their first GRAND-AM Rolex Series victory of the season in the Verizon 250. They drove the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet/Riley.

Pruett beat Gurney out of the pits following his final pit stop and led 45 laps in his quest for a record fourth consecutive victory in the No. 01 TELMEX BMW/Riley started by Memo Rojas. However, Pruett brushed Ozz Negri while making a pass with less than three minutes remaining in the two-hour, 45-minute event, causing a slow leak in his right-front tire.

"My engineer told me that Scott had a cut tire, so I took my time and held back to make a clean pass," said Gurney, who joined Fogarty in winning their 13th career DP race. "Scott moved over for me and it all worked out. I didn't let up. That was a nice gift they gave us, but I think we've delivered a few gifts to people over the years. It's nice to get one."

With six victories in nine races, Pruett and Rojas lead fifth-place finisher Ryan Dalziel by 19 points (267-248) with three races remaining in the DP championship. The six victories this season remain one shy of the record seven recorded by Fogarty and Gurney in their 2007 championship season. Pruett and Rojas ran without the benefit of cool suits despite racing in ambient temperatures in the 90s. Rojas spent time in the infield medical center after leading 10 laps during his opening stint. "Normally, we just deal with the heat," Rojas said. "Today, I think we needed cool suits."

Max Angelelli and Ricky Taylor finished third in the No. 10 SunTrust Ford/Dallara, followed by Burt Frisselle and Mark Wilkins in the No. 61 Pacific Mobile/BioSign Ford/Riley and Mike Forest and Dalziel in the No. 8 Corsa Car Care/Xtreme Indoor Karting BMW/Riley. A number of cars encountered problems in the final 10 minutes. Buddy Rice had a brief fire in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Porsche/Coyote that was quickly extinguished. Michael Valiante, driving the No. 6 Pit Stop on Norris Lake Ford/Riley, and David Donohue, aboard the No. 59 Brumos.com Porsche/Riley, both spun and continued while running in the top five. Then, Burt Frisselle - running third in DP - had contact with Jordan Taylor in the No. 30 Racers Edge Motorsports Mazda RX-8.

Jonathan Bomarito and Sylvain Tremblay led a top-four sweep by Mazda in the production-based GT class, giving the No. 70 Castrol Syntec Mazda RX-8 its first victory since the Rolex 24 At Daytona. John Edwards and Adam Christodoulou finished second in the No. 68 Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development Mazda RX-8, with Edwards .170 seconds behind Bomarito at the checkered flag.

Jeff Segal and Emil Assentato finished third in the No. 69 FXDD Mazda RX-8 to give SpeedSource a sweep of the GT podium. Segal and Assentato now lead Tremblay by eight points in the GT championship (262-254). James Gue and Leh Keen finished fourth in the No. 41 Dempsey Racing/Team Seattle Mazda RX-8, while Bill Auberlen and Joey Hand took fifth in the No. 94 Turner Motorsport BMW M6.

Andy Lally entered the race nine points out of the GT lead, but joined RJ Valentine in finishing ninth in the No. 66 Advanced Aerosol Acquisitions Porsche GT3. Lally is now third in the championship, 17 points behind the leaders, after winning his last three starts for TRG. John Potter and Craig Stanton had the highest-finishing Porsche, taking sixth in the No. 44 Magnus Racing GT3, while Robin Liddell and Andrew Davis led the GM contingent with a seventh-place finish in the No. 57 BryanMark Financial/Vin Solutions Camaro.

There were three caution periods for 11 laps, with the winners averaging 94.672 mph. The next action for the GRAND-AM Rolex Series will be the Crown Royal 200 on Aug. 7 at Watkins Glen International.

mlittle
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by mlittle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:34 pm

2010 Grand-Am Rolex Standings

~~~DAYTONA PROTOTYPE STANDINGS
----DP Drivers' Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Scott Pruett, 267 pts(6 wins)
t-1st}[2]Memo Rojas, 267 pts(6 wins)
3rd} Ryan Dalziel, 248 pts(1 win)
t-4th}[4]Burt Frisselle, 241 pts
t-4th}[5]Mark Wilkins, 241 pts
t-6th}[6]Max Angelelli, 240 pts(1 win)
t-6th}[7]Ricky Taylor, 240 pts(1 win)
8th} Mike Forest, 232 pts
t-9th}[9]Jon Fogarty, 231 pts(1 win)
t-9th}[10]Oswaldo Negri, 231 pts
t-9th}[11]John Pew, 231 pts
----DP Engine Standings
1st} BMW, 281 pts(6 wins)
2nd} Ford, 279 pts(1 win)
3rd} Porsche, 252 pts(1 win)*
4th} Chevrolet, 231 pts(1 win)
----DP Chassis Standings
1st} Riley Tech., 287 pts(8 wins)
2nd} Dallara, 259 pts(1 win)
3rd} Coyote, 211 pts
4th} Lola, 190 pts
5th} Crawford, 17 pts

~~~GRAND TOURING STANDINGS
----GT Drivers' Standings(top-10+)
t-1st}[1]Emil Assentato, 262 pts(2 wins)
t-1st}[2]Jeff Segal, 262 pts(2 wins)
3rd} Sylvain Tremblay, 254 pts(2 wins)
4th} Andy Lally, 244 pts(3 wins)
5th} Jonathan Bomarito, 235 pts(2 wins)
t-6th}[6]Andrew Davis, 233 pts
t-6th}[7]Robin Liddell, 233 pts
t-8th}[8]James Gue, 229 pts
t-8th}[9]Leh Keen, 229 pts
t-10th}[10]Adam Christodoulou, 219 pts(1 win)
t-10th}[11]John Edwards, 219 pts(1 win)
----GT Manufacturers' Standings
1st} Mazda, 299 pts(5 wins)
2nd} Chevrolet, 247 pts**
3rd} Porsche, 246 pts(3 wins)***
4th} BMW, 213 pts(1 win)
5th} Ferrari, 32 pts
6th} Ford, 16 pts