Twin Turbo Monaro

Want to chat about cars ? This is the place.

Moderator: Ed

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame
Posts: 15661
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am
Location: Tying the antenna to the tallest tree I can find.

Postby Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:44 am

Anonymous wrote:And unbelievably i got a Nissan Maxima to 210 KPH on the freeway yesterday, braking down to 80 KPH just in time for a speed trap, and amazingly i got away with it......
And of course it had an upgraded suspension, brake, tyre package, it was four am in the morning, your wife was in the last stages of labour, and no ambulance was available. If you answered no to more than three of the above, why not do us all a favour and by a bicycle.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

User avatar
rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: At the place, with that person, doing that thing

Postby rah » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:03 am

julian mayo wrote:I once got a 1952 hillman up to 70 mph. When the engine started sending me some urgentt messages I decided it would be better to not see my impending doom 8)
I never got to "full speed" in the hillman hunter I drove for a while. With that much power there was never enough road. Add the 4 wheel drum brakes and there really was never enough road. I have to admit I was impressed at the lack of damaged after I was sandwiched between an 80's laser and an old volvo. That much steel takes a lot to bend. Who needs crumple zones when you have a perfectly good neck? Or had I should say.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame
Posts: 15661
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am
Location: Tying the antenna to the tallest tree I can find.

Postby Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:14 am

rah wrote:
julian mayo wrote:I once got a 1952 hillman up to 70 mph. When the engine started sending me some urgentt messages I decided it would be better to not see my impending doom 8)
I never got to "full speed" in the hillman hunter I drove for a while. With that much power there was never enough road. Add the 4 wheel drum brakes and there really was never enough road. I have to admit I was impressed at the lack of damaged after I was sandwiched between an 80's laser and an old volvo. That much steel takes a lot to bend. Who needs crumple zones when you have a perfectly good neck? Or had I should say.
Mine was a "minx" , a bloody good name, rhymes with jinx. It shed a front left wheel on a right hander in front of a motor bike cop. :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

User avatar
rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: At the place, with that person, doing that thing

Postby rah » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:39 am

hmmm, I like old cars. How is it something can cost you so much, then you spend so much more on it, then it brakes so it costs you so much more and yet I still love it. I used to like Alfa. I know how to hand over the hard earned. My dad unfortunately for him has an undying love of Jags. He knows better how to hand over the pay cheque.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame
Posts: 15661
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am
Location: Tying the antenna to the tallest tree I can find.

Postby Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:24 pm

rah wrote:hmmm, I like old cars. How is it something can cost you so much, then you spend so much more on it, then it brakes so it costs you so much more and yet I still love it. I used to like Alfa. I know how to hand over the hard earned. My dad unfortunately for him has an undying love of Jags. He knows better how to hand over the pay cheque.
My -father in law has a fully restored manual mk2 jag sitting rusting at his place :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

User avatar
rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: At the place, with that person, doing that thing

Postby rah » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:36 pm

A Mk 2 Jag was the first car I ever drove (legally). So many fond memories. Old english white, 3.4L auto. No power steering and only weighing about two tonne. That was a great car, you could feel and hear the twin cams doing their bit. hmm those were the days, the smell of freshly oiled wallnut.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame
Posts: 15661
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am
Location: Tying the antenna to the tallest tree I can find.

Postby Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:03 pm

rah wrote:A Mk 2 Jag was the first car I ever drove (legally). So many fond memories. Old english white, 3.4L auto. No power steering and only weighing about two tonne. That was a great car, you could feel and hear the twin cams doing their bit. hmm those were the days, the smell of freshly oiled wallnut.
and oil fumes, and the smell of steam, and minor electrical fires, ah yes the Mk11. :shock:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

User avatar
rah
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: At the place, with that person, doing that thing

Postby rah » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:10 pm

julian mayo wrote:
rah wrote:A Mk 2 Jag was the first car I ever drove (legally). So many fond memories. Old english white, 3.4L auto. No power steering and only weighing about two tonne. That was a great car, you could feel and hear the twin cams doing their bit. hmm those were the days, the smell of freshly oiled wallnut.
and oil fumes, and the smell of steam, and minor electrical fires, ah yes the Mk11. :shock:
Ahh yes the smell of coolant past the boiling temp. Thats a Mk2. Oil? an old english car? never!

Why is that I would be quite willing to repeatedly throw a large portion of my yearly income to support an ageing marque, yet if a new car did that to me I would not hesitate to get a new one.
Ok, Lewis may win the WDC in 07, but Sato will beat him in 08.

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame
Posts: 15661
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am
Location: Tying the antenna to the tallest tree I can find.

Postby Julian Mayo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:44 pm

rah wrote:
julian mayo wrote:
rah wrote:A Mk 2 Jag was the first car I ever drove (legally). So many fond memories. Old english white, 3.4L auto. No power steering and only weighing about two tonne. That was a great car, you could feel and hear the twin cams doing their bit. hmm those were the days, the smell of freshly oiled wallnut.
and oil fumes, and the smell of steam, and minor electrical fires, ah yes the Mk11. :shock:
Ahh yes the smell of coolant past the boiling temp. Thats a Mk2. Oil? an old english car? never!

Why is that I would be quite willing to repeatedly throw a large portion of my yearly income to support an ageing marque, yet if a new car did that to me I would not hesitate to get a new one.
The same drive that forces you to fruitlessly hunt the kangawallafox. I shot the last one last kangawallafox season, and made pyjamas out of its skin.There are only platychidnaquolls left :cry:
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest