BATHURST 2006

All about V8 Supercars Racing

Moderators: Ed, Julian Mayo

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:14 pm

5 thousandths of a second is the official gap Courtney to Ingall.
Thats it from me for now, I am heading for my pit stop, desperately in need of coolant. That is my 1000 over for today. Review in the next day or so.
The Mountain is a savage Mistress.

Ed
NewsOnF1 Editor
NewsOnF1 Editor

Post by Ed » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:29 pm

Great coverage Julian and congratulations on your 10,000th post

:up: :clap:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:00 pm

thanks Ed. It was an emotional moment watching Craig hoist the trophy with his mentors name engraved on it. Great drive by Jamie Whincup too. I don't understand why some of these guys think they can drive at their personal 10 tenths for hours at a time. I am sure thats why half of them smack the wall.
Sorry I missed your post Sthnman, It was as my screen went blank, with a power blackout. I will get updates on the injured drivers asap

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:07 pm

Radisich was taken to hospital as a precaution, because of chest and abdominal pains. I would think he gave his harness a hammering.
Dave Clark has regained full consciouseness, and is breathing unaided.....
Mark Porter is still on full life support,

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:10 am

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Mark Porter has succumbed to the massive injuries he suffered in the hiigh speed impact on the top of the Mountain

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:58 pm

It was good coverage Julian. :cheers:

Everytime I turned on the TV to get updates for the race the safety car was on the track or about a handful of laps away from coming on the track. This made the race hard to watch.

It's sad to hear of Mark Porter's death. :cry:

It's good to hear that the Rat wasn't too badly injured. :) Why were the Photographers allowed to be behind that safety barrier. That accident could have injured them. :evil:

Well done Ford for their first Bathurst win in a long time. :clap:

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Southernman wrote:It was good coverage Julian. :cheers:

Everytime I turned on the TV to get updates for the race the safety car was on the track or about a handful of laps away from coming on the track. This made the race hard to watch.

It's sad to hear of Mark Porter's death. :cry:

It's good to hear that the Rat wasn't too badly injured. :) Why were the Photographers allowed to be behind that safety barrier. That accident could have injured them. :evil:

Well done Ford for their first Bathurst win in a long time. :clap:
Thanks Sthnman, it is a bummer when the tv screen and computer screen go blank simultaneously.....I suspect the folk in the next shire heard my outburst. The dawgs hid under the house til the power came back on.

I can't recall as many safety cars on a dry track. The Course Director actually radioed the driver as to the how much fuel he had left :shock:
These cars are extremely edgy to drive at the limit, and I think it was simply a case of too many drivers driving them on the limit for too long.
I know I am only good for 10 tnths for about 3-4 minutes, whereas I can drive at 8 tnths for hours. Plus the cabin temps were up around the 45-50 deg C. for most of the day.

As soon as I saw the marshall signal beside his car, I feared the worst for Mark Porter. More so when I then saw him rip open the rear door and support his head.

I am prepared to have a small wager, that if the photographers are there next year, they will be in a safety cage

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 pm

The pace car had to be refuelled :shock:
The "Rat" suffered a broken ankle, a sternum injury.......but far worse than that.......had to eat hospital food on his Birthday :shock:

My personal feelings about the race are probably not important.
I know that most of the Australian Motor Racing fraternity is still in shock over PB.
PB new the risks he was taking. There are bold drivers, there are old drivers,
rarely do the same coincide in the the same person.
My heart goes out to the family of Mark Porter. They stood by him, and backed him, while he went for it...........chasing his dream. He had the courage to chase that dream, his family had the courage to support him.
The motor racing fraternity has lost just as big a person in Mark Porter, as it has in Peter Brock.
To those who dare to chase their dreams, I salute you.
Mark Porter and Peter Brock, Fare Thee well.
To the other motor racing DC, get well soon, many, many people wish you the best., I for one do understand the anguish you must be going through. Quite simply, it was not your fault. Rest easy in that

Julian Mayo
Forum Hall of Fame
Forum Hall of Fame

Post by Julian Mayo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 am

I mised a pace car while I was off air............there were 10.............tho my bones tell me that is not a record. Anyone????
My review.
The rightful winner won.
Why? Because there was a bloody good driver, in a bloody good fast car, but not the fastest, with bloody good economy, his team called the stops perfectly.
The Walkinshaw 2 team challenge?
There is an old saying on the Mountain, those who are fastest on Thursday, lose on Sunday.
Mark Skaife finally said that the clutch was slipping so badly, that he would not have made it to the top of the Mountain. Why the hell did he put so much rubbish over the air after Jack hit him??
Why did he not have the nous to pull off to the side before Jack hit him.
Not happy Skaifey :x
Courtney is coming of age :)
V8Supercars are extremely heavy, the engine block weighs damned near as much as an F1 Car.........in a straight line they are right up there.
The edge between oversteer n understeer varies within a lap of the Mountain.........throw in some oil on the odd corner, a shocker getting tired, heat causing a distortion on part of a disc, a miniscule flat spot
SLAM............10 pace cars.
The Kelly Boys dun good.
That is pretty well the way Brad Jones summed up the race. When he talks I, for one, listen.
Roll on next October.......but......ED......I am overdue...........n I promised the kids I would take them back there as soon as it goes back to the long weekend :lol: