Non-Championship Quiz

Test your Formula 1 knowledge

Moderators: Ed, jacfan, lemon_martini2

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Non-Championship Quiz

Post by RE30B#16 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:24 am

Hey you F1 trivia buffs! I have a quiz that might be fun to do. This is strictly for fun with no prize at the end of the season. I have cleared it with Jacfan to post as sort of a non-Championship quiz like those non-Championship F1 races they used to have before F1 got so insanely expensive.

So PM your answers directly to me. I will tally the points and let y'all know who won bragging rights! :D

Here goes. Good luck:

1. What driver proved to be a personal nemesis to Michael Andretti's short lived F1 career having over 3 collisions with the American all on the first lap?

2. What 3 other young drivers were being considered by the Ferrari team when Enzo Ferrari surprised all by hiring Gilles Villeneuve in 1978?

3. With what team did Gilles Villeneuve begin his F1 career?

4. How many different engines did McLaren use between its Honda years and the current Mercedes era? Name them for 2 extra points.

5. Which former F1 regular used to be referred to as the "super sub"?

6. What cocky World Champion was sponsored by a condom manufacturer?

7. Who was the first driver to have a "personal" sponsor? Name the product for 2 more points.

8. What driver is credited with introducing race safety features like the removable steering wheel and fuel cut-off switches?

9. Who said, "If you don't hold onto your heart at Spa, it will come out of your throat."?

10. Which former grand prix race track was described as "The road for automobile driving and exercises" and consisted of 2 almost perfectly straight lanes which ran along railroad tracks?
Christoforo

You're not getting old, the music just sucks!!

Fernando Alonso is currently the best... Period!!!

-)_ (-
(_!_) Inclined to get behind!!!

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:45 pm

The response to my quiz has been so overwhelming, I've had to take time off for R&R!

:cry: :x :?
Christoforo

-)_ (-

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:08 pm

I have sent my entry... very late I know :oops: but questions are hard.
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:52 pm

I will try and get some answers in tomorrow. From the quick look that I've had they seen hard.

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:04 am

Weekend cometh. I shall submit my answers by Sunday eve.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Southernman
2004 Top 10
2004 Top 10

Post by Southernman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 am

I've pm'd some answers.

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm

I have received answers from a few of you. Thanks! I will post the results this weekend after the race.

:D
Christoforo

-)_ (-

RE30B#16
Racer
Racer

Post by RE30B#16 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:16 pm

Here are the answers to the non-Championship quiz:

1. What other driver proved to be a nemesis to Michael Andretti's short lived F1 career having over 3 collisions with the American?

Karl Wendlinger

2. What 3 other young drivers were being considered by the Ferrari team when Enzo Ferrari surprised all by hiring Gilles Villeneuve in 1978?

Patrick Tambay, Eddie Cheever, and Ricardo Patrese

3. With what team did Gilles Villeneuve begin his F1 career?

McLaren

4. How many different engines did McLaren use between its Honda years and the current Mercedes era? Name them for 2 extra points.

Three (Ford, Peugeot, & Lamborghini)

5. Which former F1 regular used to be referred to as the "super sub"?

Jean-Pierre Jarier

6. What cocky World Champion was sponsored by a condom manufacturer?

Alan Jones and Durex (1976)

7. Who was the first driver to have a "personal" sponsor? Name the product for 2 more points.

Jody Scheckter (Brooklyn Bubble Gum)

8. What driver is credited with introducing race safety features like the removable steering wheel and fuel cut-off switches?

Jackie Stewart

9. Who said, "If you don't hold onto your heart at Spa, it will come out of your throat."?

Martin Brundle

10. Which former F1 race track was described as "The road for automobile driving and exercises" and consisted of 2 almost perfectly straight lanes which ran along railroad tracks?

Avus, Berlin, Germany

gkaytaz wins!!! :1st: :clap:

gkaytaz scored 5.5 (I awarded a half point for naming the Surtees team for question #6)
Southernman scored 3.5
jacfan scored 2

There were no more answers submitted by any other posters.

I'm impressed that two of you got question#10 correct. I think that was the hardest one. All of you got question #8. Good job, everyone!

As for question #5, Roberto Moreno was called the "super sub" in the CART World Series. "Jumper" Jarier was called super sub in Formula 1. In 1978, he stood in for the late Ronnie Peterson (hardly to be considered subbing!) and nearly winning the Canadian GP. There were many other stints that earned him this nickname.

Many drivers have been associated with personal sponsors (Senna and Nacional, Schumacher and Dekra, Didier Pironi and Haribo, Mansell and Hugo Boss, Keke Rosberg and ICI Chemical), but the first driver to use his driving suit as a walking billboard was Jody Schekter when he did a deal with the Brooklyn Bubble Gum Company for $1mil in 1976. Around the same time, Niki Lauda became associated with the Italian diary company Parmalat and was influential in their title sponsoring of the Brabham team beginning in 1978. His hat deal wasn't made until 1985. Nice job, jacfan for thinking of Lauda. :D
Christoforo

-)_ (-

jacfan
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jacfan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 pm

They were really hard questions and thanks for doing that quiz RE. :D :D :D
Holy crap on a cracker! Image
Number one idiot for 2007!!!!!
2008 Round of France winner!!! Wooooooohoooo!!!!!!
2010 Round of Britian winner!!!!!!

gkaytaz
F1 Race Winner
F1 Race Winner

Post by gkaytaz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:16 pm

:woohoo:

Thanks for the quiz RE, tough questions...

Regarding Q #10, I had pure luck on that one. I happen to have a buddy who works for the German highway authority. AVUS track is part of a highway nowadays, converted a few years back. An ex-track with some special features made the conversation a while back :) I believe the VIP tower is still used as a restaurant-bar.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)